The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Can someone explain to me why, post brexit,  it will make sense to have immigration controls at Dover, but not Derry?

8 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Why wouldn’t they attack it? Who said anything about killing people?

It is guaranteed that republicans would try and destroy the infrastructure. I think the twist this time would be attack’s from both sides of it.

It’s a stupid question. It is guaranteed.

Irish Republican terrorists would certainly see any physical apparatus on the Northern Ireland side of the border as a representation of the UK state - and attack it. 

But if the EU enforces a hard border on the Irish Republic side (as it has stated will happen) manned by Irish personnel and Irish security forces, would it still be attacked? Is the Southern state hated as much as the British state by dissident Republicans?

9 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

Can someone explain to me why, post brexit,  it will make sense to have immigration controls at Dover, but not Derry?

Have you heard of 'The Troubles'?

8 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Irish Republican terrorists would certainly see any physical apparatus on the Northern Ireland side of the border as a representation of the UK state - and attack it. 

But if the EU enforces a hard border on the Irish Republic side (as it has stated will happen) manned by Irish personnel and Irish security forces, would it still be attacked? Is the Southern state hated as much as the British state by dissident Republicans?

Yes, but the armed insurrection against British rule in Northern Ireland oesn't pertain to the logical contradiction of having immigration controls on the Eurostar, but not on the road from Derry to Bridgend.

Are you suggesting that different rules should apply on immigration controls for EU arrivals in different parts of the UK?

Edited by Phanerothyme
Mispelling of Ireland!

4 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

That's rich coming from someone who has demonstrated such a spectacular lack of understanding of Irish history and politics!

13 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Why does it have to be on the NI side?

Edited by Longcol

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Not what you said two hours ago.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/465763-consequences-of-brexit-part-6-read-first-post-before-posting/?page=143&tab=comments#comment-8206350

"I'm not so sure that dissident Republicans would attack an Irish Republic/EU controlled hard border.

They would certainly attack a border controlled by their historical enemy, the British. But with no Brits to attack, an Irish Republican killing another Irish Republican would not bring the support or funds the dissidents require for their armed campaign."

I stated that a British controlled border would be attacked by Irish Republican terrorists.

An EU/Eire controlled hard border I queried if it would be attacked. Please keep up.

Let's not forget that it's only the EU that has stated it will enforce a hard border in Ireland. Which would have to be on the Eire side of the border.

Edited by Car Boot

28 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

It won't make sense, and right at the very start of this whole process it was pointed out that you can't have an EU and a non EU country with an open border between them but it was either conveniently ignored or shouted down as a non issue.

Ironic, as it looks like being the one thing which ultimately kicks Brexit into touch! 😂

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That's rich coming from someone who has demonstrated such a spectacular lack of understanding of Irish history and politics!

Absolute rubbish.

I have strong connections with Ireland and my Irish friends inform me that the EU enforcing a hard border and jeopardising the peace process will reflect very badly on it in the short and long term. Nobody in Ireland wants it, not even the Loyalists. 

Only the EU wants a hard border. Only the EU is prepared to enforce a hard border on Irish soil.

Seriously, I don't understand how, post brexit, the UK can have an open and unobstructed land border with the EU. I'm not sure the EU understands either.

It seems to me that however we exit the EU, and regardless of NI politics, leaving means having a 500km land border between the UK and the EU. Either that is policed and patrolled by Customs/Border Forces, or it isn't. If it is elsewhere in the country, then 'bad actors' need only come in through the ROI and then cross the Irish Sea, if it is to be kept an open border as part of the CTA.

This is "ending freedom of movement" - leaving the EU but keeping the CTA with an EU member state.

Perhaps one of you luminaries can explain?

Edited by Phanerothyme

Whenever I fly back from Northern Ireland I have to present my passport before boarding a plane. Identity checks are carried out on each passenger entering Great Britain. I don't see why this should change once we Leave the EU.

The EU will enforce their hard border against the wishes of the Irish people and reap the consequences.

Edited by Car Boot

39 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Yes it would be attacked because it would be representative of the division of Ireland, a stituation that is the entire reason for the continued existence of the IRA.

why else do you think they exist?

And in previous incarnations they have killed police and army members from the republic before, some killed with bombs planted on the border.

You simply do not have any clue.

6 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes it would be attacked because it would be representative of the division of Ireland, a stituation that is the entire reason for the continued existence of the IRA.

why else do you think they exist?

And in previous incarnations they have killed police and army members from the republic before, some killed with bombs planted on the border.

You simply do not have any clue.

It's not me or the UK threatening to enforce a hard border on Ireland.

It's your beloved EU.