The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Seems MP's will be voting for the same thing as last time in order to get the result the PM wants :?

I think we'll take the deal tonight, it's as good as it's gunna get, I'm sure the MP's will accept that.

May's been pressurising the hard Brexit camp to fall into line, if they don't vote this through they might not get anything.

Apparently a bad is IS better than no deal.

Edited by geared

Labour have said they will vote against it.

ERG and DUP are against it because we can be stuck in a Customs Union.

Labour supposedly want a customs union but they will vote against it????

54 minutes ago, geared said:

I think we'll take the deal tonight, it's as good as it's gunna get, I'm sure the MP's will accept that.

May's been pressurising the hard Brexit camp to fall into line, if they don't vote this through they might not get anything.

Apparently a bad is IS better than no deal.

Not a chance.

Your Attorney General, Cox, just called Theresa's "new and improved deal" for exactly what it is, in his legal opinion: no different at all to the old one (as we -objective observers- all knew). The backstop is still there, wholly undiluted nor time-limited. The WA, the actual subject of tonight's vote, is itself wholly unchanged: not a single i undotted, nor a single t uncrossed.

That public pronunciation severely cuts off chances that enough wavering MPs will climb down from their earlier position in the previous 'deal vote', because it clips their manoeuvering room.

Theresa's either going to pull tonight's vote, or go through with it and suffer a fresh defeat (but maybe not on the same unprecedented scale as last time).

If the vote happens and she loses by more than 50 (which seems a near-certainty, at least for now), I'd say she'll then be in serious trouble trying to hang onto no.10's front door key.

You're still in just much political trouble as before I'm afraid...and FOREX markets are reflecting that quite badly, right now: Sterling is in complete freefall.

Edited by L00b

32 minutes ago, L00b said:

Not a chance.

Your Attorney General, Cox, just called Theresa's "new and improved deal" for exactly what it is, in his legal opinion: no different at all to the old one (as we -objective observers- all knew). The backstop is still there, wholly undiluted nor time-limited. The WA, the actual subject of tonight's vote, is itself wholly unchanged: not a single i undotted, nor a single t uncrossed.

Theresa's and Jean-Claude Juncker's "new and improved deal" .

Lot's of focus on TM and what she has done wrong. easy to stand pointing the finger, harder to stand up and do something constructive.

It's hardly Europe's fault that the deal favours them and we suddenly don't like it.

Perhaps if we weren't expecting the moon on a stick in the first place we would have been more realistic?

Edited by geared

21 minutes ago, geared said:

Perhaps if we weren't expecting the moon on a stick in the first place we would have been more realistic?

If we were being realistic we wouldn't be leaving at all :roll:

39 minutes ago, woodview said:

Theresa's and Jean-Claude Juncker's "new and improved deal" .

Lot's of focus on TM and what she has done wrong. easy to stand pointing the finger, harder to stand up and do something constructive.

Excuse me while I quickly check whose responsibility it was to get a "new and improved deal", after Theresa hailed the original a great success. Ah yes, that would be Theresa, instructed by Parliamentary vote.

The ongoing problems with getting the withdrawal agreement signed (including, at term, a Brexit without any deal if it doesn't get signed) are wholly attributable to your domestic politics.

Excuse me again while I check what the EU27 have consistently said and done about the original deal since that Parliamentary vote (and before it, actually). Ah yes, it's the best you're getting in view of Theresa's red lines, and is not being reopened.

Newsflash for you: the UK's sovereignty ends at its borders, and your MPs' votes bind your government, not the EU27 in any way.

JCJ's role in all that? To help Theresa bring something out of her optics of the last few weeks. Which he's done (hand in hand with Barnier, Weyand and Robbins). Again.

And so now you want to hold that help against the EU or JCJ? Ah yes, I nearly forgot: you're a Leaver, it's always someone else's fault.

You're lucky the EU helped at all, tbh: it's absolutely not within its prerogatives to help sort out your domestic politics, nor is it in its political interests to be seen to be meddling. Me, I'd have sent Theresa packing.

Bar preparations, there's nothing constructive to do about Brexit. It's a divorce, not a remarriage.

Edited by L00b

17 minutes ago, L00b said:

Excuse me while I quickly check whose responsibility it was to get a "new and improved deal", after Theresa hailed the original a great success. Ah yes, that would be Theresa, instructed by Parliamentary vote.

The ongoing problems with getting the withdrawal agreement signed (including, at term, a Brexit without any deal if it doesn't get signed) are wholly attributable to your domestic politics.

Excuse me again while I check what the EU27 have consistently said and done about the original deal since that Parliamentary vote (and before it, actually). Ah yes, it's the best you're getting in view of Theresa's red lines, and is not being reopened.

Newsflash for you: the UK's sovereignty ends at its borders, and your MPs' votes bind your government, not the EU27 in any way.

JCJ's role in all that? To help Theresa bring something out of her optics of the last few weeks. Which he's done (hand in hand with Barnier, Weyand and Robbins). Again.

And so now you want to hold that help against the EU or JCJ? Ah yes, I nearly forgot: you're a Leaver, it's always someone else's fault.

You're lucky the EU helped at all, tbh: it's absolutely not within its prerogatives to help sort out your domestic politics, nor is it in its political interests to be seen to be meddling. Me, I'd have sent Theresa packing.

Bar preparations, there's nothing constructive to do about Brexit. It's a divorce, not a remarriage.

Lucky or paying £39 billion for the help???

Just now, woodview said:

Lucky or paying £39 billion for the help???

Oh, not this again, please.

The £39bn is money owed by the UK to the end of the current EU budget, plus isolated longer-term liabilities (pension contributions), minus UK share of EU assets.

It's now long been agreed by the UK government and umpteen MPs, including the ERG (bar the odd slack-jawed ones or twos) and is well beyond discussion at this stage.

The EU27 has been helping, and continues to help, because it's not the enemy, but it wants the thing to come to an end.

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

Oh, not this again, please.

The £39bn is money owed by the UK to the end of the current EU budget, plus isolated longer-term liabilities (pension contributions), minus UK share of EU assets.

It's now long been agreed by the UK government and umpteen MPs, including the ERG (bar the odd slack-jawed ones or twos) and is well beyond discussion at this stage.

The EU27 has been helping, and continues to help, because it's not the enemy, but it wants the thing to come to an end.

I think actually the process is being made as difficult as possible, to try to ensure nobody else has the same idea. They must thank their lucky stars every night for the NI border.

Breaking news: Gammons  the ERG recommend that MPs do not back May's deal.