The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Just now, geared said:

In what scenario exactly?

After the UK leaves the EU.

52 minutes ago, geared said:

What were they supposed to do though??

Regroup, protest, lobby, influence...anything and everything required to make enough MPs understand that the 48% represented, already then and still more today, the largest political consensus about a specific outcome within the UK political landscape.

You're nowhere near that now, still, with 16 days to go.

52 minutes ago, geared said:

It's just a couple of weeks before we're due to leave, yet still no-one has the first idea on what we actually want out of all this.

Which is why, irrespective both of today's useless vote, and of tomorrow's vote about requesting an extension, as things stand you're not going to get an extension.

[EDIT: just seen Carole Cadwallard's latest about Aaron Banks meeting very recently with Salvini of Lega Nord (in bed with Putin, matter of record), and about some Tory MPs visiting Law & Justice in Poland, they may have struck respective deals for Italy & Poland to veto the UK's extension request anyway. Your odds of avoiding 'no deal' Brexit are shortening down to the skin of your teeth, lads]

23 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Assuming no withdrawal agreement, the UK will be able to make its own trade deals, the UK will lie outside the jurisdiction of the ECJ and the UK will not have to contribute to the EU budget.

For all the good that will do the UK. 'Hope you've got airbags.

Edited by L00b

My constituency voted 63-37 in favour of leave. I'm not sure how many letters I would have had to write to make my MP (first time Tory since the dawn of time) to change his thoughts. He didnt back mays deal either.

Anyway, a thought crossed my mind - does anyone know what the result would have been if it been done with constituencies?

24 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

After the UK leaves how?

46 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

My constituency voted 63-37 in favour of leave. I'm not sure how many letters I would have had to write to make my MP (first time Tory since the dawn of time) to change his thoughts. He didnt back mays deal either.

Anyway, a thought crossed my mind - does anyone know what the result would have been if it been done with constituencies?

I'm quite happy with him, he doing what I voted for. Unlike the Majority of Labour MPs.

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

After the UK leaves how?

If we left with the deal Labour want with the UK staying in a CU.

8 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

If we left with the deal Labour want with the UK staying in a CU.

It's nearly as cakeist as the Tories' Malthouse guff.

So you wouldn't be leaving with that deal (such as it is) anyway.

EDIT: it might be useful to remind posters, that the current debate about a 'deal', is about the withdrawal agreement which will govern the UK-EU relationship during a transition period until 31 December 2020 (-21 if extended). That particular 'deal' simply lapses at that future date. It's not about the FTA/agreement/'final deal' which will govern the UK-EU relationship after the transition period. Negotiations about that 'deal' start on 1st April 2019.

Edited by L00b

Just now, L00b said:

It's nearly as cakeist as the Tories' Malthouse guff.

So you wouldn't be leaving with that deal (such as it is) anyway.

But st jezza said that deal had been approved by the eu in theory? He wasn’t telling porkies was he?

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But st jezza said that deal had been approved by the eu in theory? He wasn’t telling porkies was he?

Jezza wants a customs union, but the freedom to strike own trade deals: that's not a serious proposal.

Labour gets some slack cut, because they're in opposition, and an opposition doesn't have quite the same obligations to realism that a government does.

But if they wanted to contrast themselves with the Tories, and present as a party with a credible, deliverable plan, they wouldn't be touting the plan they're currently touting.

Jezza wants a GE, part of the strategy is to let Tories fall on their Brexit sword (and practical consequences be damned). Plus, you won't manage to convince me that he's not a hardline Brexiter himself. Two wrongs do make a right, very right for him.
Edited by L00b

Corbyn wants a GE to weasel his way into number 10, there's no question about that.  He is only out for himself.

I think the party is getting ready for a change of leadership though, huge irony if they boot Corbyn out to have a serious run at an election.

The referendum question was plain and straightforward. The answer given was plain and straightforward. The chaos since then has come about purely because a pampered, privileged elite didn't like the answer. 

The people's of Europe are now fed up with the mess created by a selfish minority of very wealthy, very powerful people. The people's of Europe don't think we belong anymore in their bosses club, that we should "just go".

We should honour the people's of Europe and GO.

5 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The referendum question was plain and straightforward. The answer given was plain and straightforward. The chaos since then has come about purely because a pampered, privileged elite didn't like the answer. 

The people's of Europe are now fed up with the mess created by a selfish minority of very wealthy, very powerful people. The people's of Europe don't think we belong anymore in their bosses club, that we should "just go".

We should honour the people's of Europe and GO.

I'm not sure you speak for the people's of Europe.