The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

4 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Good post I think you are right.

Very good description. It wad a backlash, rightly or wrongly focussed. If you kick a dog often enough, it will bite you.

9 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Surely nobody expect the no deal to get through?

It doesn't matter either way:

if tonight's no deal vote goes through, you're out without a deal.

if tonight's no deal vote doesn't go through, you're still out without a deal, until and unless a deal is eventually signed (while Article 50 is still live, extended or otherwise) or Article 50 is withdrawn.

Tonight's vote is meaningless, it's just for domestic consumption in the UK: it cannot cancel the Article 50 clock, nor the automatic lapsing of the UK's membership on 29 March.

It's been great reading the past few pages, and seeing the scales fall partially off some Leavers' eyes.

Edited by L00b

Ah! The unilateral slashing of tariffs has been announced! Great news, anybody work in the steel industry? Had a look to see if steel is one of few things that is protected or will China be able to dump anything they like here as Sajid Javid has wanted for years now?

1 minute ago, tzijlstra said:

Ah! The unilateral slashing of tariffs has been announced! Great news, anybody work in the steel industry? Had a look to see if steel is one of few things that is protected or will China be able to dump anything they like here as Sajid Javid has wanted for years now?

Don't forget to add farmers and much of the UK agrifood sector to your bonfire of steel workers. To start with.

You can't fix stupid.

12 minutes ago, L00b said:

Don't forget to add farmers and much of the UK agrifood sector to your bonfire of steel workers. To start with.

You can't fix stupid.

Of course steel won’t be included. It was the U.K. that stopped the EU from enacting anti dumping tariffs of steel imports into the single market. 

2 hours ago, ez8004 said:

So you voted for something you admit won’t help with your issues. What the hell are you doing? Cameron actually came back with real changes in our relationship with the EU, such as a minimum period of time when immigrants can’t claim on our welfare from when they arrive and the ability to send people back if they can’t find a job. These were concessions he came up with before the referendum. What has the government secured now? Absolutely nothing. Well not completely true, Brexit related job losses and a reduction of our economy I suppose. Well done there. 

It is the working class that will suffer the consequences the most. How do you not see that? You have ended up punishing the very people you claim to stand up for. 

Spot on . . and when you double down on this, they simply retreat to their shells, mumble something about the will of the people, and that closes the argument.  

To be honest, I've gone past the sad, disappointed and angry stages about Brexit.  I'm ALMOST at the 'bring it on and let the idiots who voted for their own poverty suffer the consequences' stage.

Selfish?  Perhaps.  I won't be affected.  I'm in my mid-50s, in a good job and will retire in a couple of years and all my assets are overseas.  I won't be impacted at all.  In fact, a collapsing pound will likely help me.  You guys voted for this; I'm going to watch on with interest while it drags you down.

1 hour ago, Fudbeer said:

Good post I think you are right.

ditto

3 hours ago, despritdan said:

If the Tories had kept their promise to reduce immigration to tens of thousands by stopping or severely restricting immigration from countries outside the EU, especially third world and Islamic countries, whose citizens are causing the most concern, those fears would have been allayed and the vote might have been in favour of remain, but instead, they've allowed the numbers to actually increase. 

Could you explain how voting Leave helps severly restricting immigration from countries outside the EU, especially third world and Islamic countries?

6 minutes ago, bendix said:

Could you explain how voting Leave helps severly restricting immigration from countries outside the EU, especially third world and Islamic countries?

Obviously it doesn't. The point I was making is that the Leave vote was a result of people's general anger over mass immigration over the last few decades and used the referendum to express that anger as we have never had a referendum on immigration and the ensuing multi-cultural society that has been imposed on us.

10 hours ago, phil752 said:

can not put this on Labour or Conservative, the demise of our car industry is squarely on the EU.  How many Japanese car plant are there in mainland Europe

The demise of our car industry is due to strikes and crappy cars of the 70s.

The Japanese pulled the rug from under our feet just like they did with the car industry in the USA.  Watch James May's "Cars of the People" which explains this very well.

Edited by alchresearch

9 hours ago, phil752 said:

im going to regret this, but why are you so avidly remain?

Two very simple reasons.

1. The UK as a whole and I personally have benefitted greatly both culturally and economically from being part of the EU.

2. Nobody has come up with one single advantage of leaving the EU.

As they say in america, it is a no-brainer! 😂

34 minutes ago, despritdan said:

Obviously it doesn't. The point I was making is that the Leave vote was a result of people's general anger over mass immigration over the last few decades and used the referendum to express that anger as we have never had a referendum on immigration and the ensuing multi-cultural society that has been imposed on us.

Ahhh . . I get it.  The old 'I'm angry about something completely unrelated, so I'm going to lash out and punch myself in the face because that will teach them' argument.   

I'm just reading Robert Tressell's The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist.   He wrote it in 1914, and the prevailing theme of his radical, working class here is horror at the stupidity of his fellow working class people, who he despised as being political naieve, stupid and not interested in getting to know the facts of issues, but instead vote on gut reaction and to 'get' an imagined foe, usually 'the powers that be' or 'the foreigners' and in doing so play THE leading role in their own misery and poverty.

Not much has changed since then.

Edited by bendix