The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

46 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

The New IRA would start terrorist acts against it within days

If they manage to get a look in!

Bertie Ahern, the Irish Prime Minister who helped negotiate the Belfast Agreement in 1997 with Tony Blair, said on Channel Four News last year that  if a hard border was ever erected in Ireland, the people of the border areas, North and South, would tear it down before the paramilitaries got anywhere near it.

To get an understanding of this, imagine a wall being erected on the road between Eckington and Staveley without the consent of the people of Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Then imagine a checkpoint erected on that road with compulsory ID checks and boot checks for random vehicles. Does anyone seriously think that people would put up with that? 

And let's not forget that the Irish have a much greater tradition for standing up for themselves than the English do.

As a nation, we've clearly forgotten that we plan on asking the EU for a trade deal...

Look at the way  Canada / Japan behave towards the EU, and vice versa. It's all very respectful, and cordial. And it took years.

Compare and contrast with the way our government is moaning about this, demanding that and the other.  now try and imagine the EU rushing through a trade deal for us, once the dust settles...

23 minutes ago, ads36 said:

now try and imagine the EU rushing through a trade deal for us, once the dust settles...

I suspect that one of the reasons that the Irish backstop has no time limit on it is precisely because any post-withdrawal trade negotiations are expected to be long and hard.

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'm not entirely sure what you base that on.

Over 60% of the Irish people support a united Ireland and less than 10%  support leaving the EU.

It's not based on anything. It was not suggested as a serious solution to the current situation. It is however a valid scenario, however unlikely.

3 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

This Forum's amazingly lucky, having so many experts contributing to this subject.
In depth analysis, far-sighted observations, even possible solutions to the problem.

Can't say I've noticed too many, personally.

39 minutes ago, ads36 said:

As a nation, we've clearly forgotten that we plan on asking the EU for a trade deal...

Look at the way  Canada / Japan behave towards the EU, and vice versa. It's all very respectful, and cordial. And it took years.

Compare and contrast with the way our government is moaning about this, demanding that and the other.  now try and imagine the EU rushing through a trade deal for us, once the dust settles...

Trade is usually a two-way thing. We currently buy twice as much from the EU as they buy from us.

I can't imagine the Germans would be very happy at the EU putting up artificial barriers to them selling us their overpriced cars. Or the French with cars and their tired old stale wines.

And, of course, whatever barriers they impose on imports from the UK, we can reciprocate, and then buy from any non-EU country which is happy to trade with us.

Yeah, childish tit-for-tat, that's historically the way to a mutually beneficial trade deal...

Edited by ads36

2 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Similar margin to the referendum. Looks fine to me.

But the point you and others are missing is that this is parliament our sovereign body and they need to show they are consolidated in their decisions both to the EU and the people of this country. Most of the amendments put forward have been defeated and the ones that have been carried are not binding and shows them up in a bad light to all.

2 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

They can’t. 

The New IRA would start terrorist acts against it within days

They would? Why?

Edited by apelike

15 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Yeah, childish tit-for-tat, that's historically the way to a mutually beneficial trade deal...

No, it's called give and take and is the way all countries approach trade talks.

There are some EU politicians (mainly the French ones) who want to punish us for having the effrontery to want to leave their 'project' and there are some who are more pragmatic. At the end of the day the deciding factor will be financial, as it always is.

28 minutes ago, apelike said:

But the point you and others are missing is that this is parliament our sovereign body and they need to show they are consolidated in their decisions both to the EU and the people of this country. Most of the amendments put forward have been defeated and the ones that have been carried are not binding and shows them up in a bad light to all.

They would? Why?

I’m not missing any point. 

As for the New IRA (and other groups) they’ll seek to destroy anything that divides Ireland again. Wait and see.

7 minutes ago, Broakham said:

No, it's called give and take and is the way all countries approach trade talks.

There are some EU politicians (mainly the French ones) who want to punish us for having the effrontery to want to leave their 'project' and there are some who are more pragmatic. At the end of the day the deciding factor will be financial, as it always is.

If it’s financial we should have killed Brexit long ago

1 minute ago, I1L2T3 said:

As for the New IRA (and other groups) they’ll seek to destroy anything that divides Ireland again. Wait and see.

But NI is already divided and cant even form a working government. I'm asking the reason why this may cause a resurgence of terrorism as nobody seems to be able to answer that question and wait and see is not an answer or a reason.

15 minutes ago, Broakham said:

You're taking too much notice of the Tory press and Brexiteer elements within the Tory Party regarding the French - always a convenient scapegoat for a certain section. They are equating "punish" with "not giving way to everything the UK demands (even though they've been told a dozen times it's not up for grabs)"

Politicians and people over here in France are more baffled than anything.