The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Just now, Cyclone said:

Yes, they're not binding, but they make the intentions of parliament clear.

But with a margin of only 8 votes I think any intentions are **** poor and parliament is still very much divided.

Uhuh...  Much like the wishes of the entire country right.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Uhuh...  Much like the wishes of the entire country right.

You are getting to sound like THC  :)  , that cant be correct as the entire country was not given a vote. 

16 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

This Forum's amazingly lucky, having so many experts contributing to this subject.
In depth analysis, far-sighted observations, even possible solutions to the problem.
So - seriously - why aren't you "in" politics?!

Because they aren't prepared to cheat and lie to further their careers? They can't win popularity contests? The last two years, and arguably 10, have shown that competence isn't a prerequisite for governance!

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

so breaking the rules then.

we're off to a flying start with this international trade aren't we!

It is interesting that those who are saying that we will automatically get all these great trade deals around actually know nothing about how international trade works.

By the way, those also saying that last night's vote puts the ball firmly in the EU's court would benefit from having a look at some of the major newspapers in Europe. Far from seeing the vote as putting the ball in their court, they see it as a last desperate attempt to get ANYTHING through Parliament by promising something which can't be delivered.

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

(...)  I  haven't seen any news reports  for either the UK,  the Republic of Ireland or the EU making preparations for building a hard border in time for March 29th  or any time after that date.   

You should broaden your circle of news sources. France is building new veterinary inspection points at Calais right this minute, and I’ll gloss on the hundreds of recently recruited Irish, Dutch and French customs officers, who must be undergoing training as I type this post.

Meanwhile, Dover hasn’t got any room for new facilities, and I haven’t yet seen how they plan to square that circle (existing plans to park lorries at Manston airport, and the £150m’ worth of contingency ferry capacity, are the most recent news I recall reading in respect of U.K. preparations).

Neither the Irish nor the U.K. will start putting up infrastructure along the NI border after end March 2019, for as long as international pressure and geopolitics let them get away with it. But if the first 3 months of crash-out Brexit don’t see the U.K. signing on the (worse) emergency agreement including a CU, then you’ll start seeing huts, barriers and customs officers, that I guarantee you - for the exact, real-world reasons already explained to you (neither U.K. nor EU can leave their border unsecured under WTO, UN and a whole raft of further international treaties and agreements).

Edited by L00b

42 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I find your dismissal of 8 votes to be highly ironic.  It's almost identical to the "majority" that brexit had amongst the public who bothered to vote.  Perhaps you'd like to recharacterise the vote to leave as "not much fo a display of the countries wishes there"?

I'd love to see you say that.

As you have edited your post to include new text after I had quoted and replied then I wont say much except it is bad manners to do so.

33 minutes ago, L00b said:

You should broaden your circle of news sources. France is building new veterinary inspection points at Calais right this minute, and I’ll gloss on the hundreds of recently recruited Irish, Dutch and French customs officers, who must be undergoing training as I type this post.

Meanwhile, Dover hasn’t got any room for new facilities, and I haven’t yet seen how they plan to square that circle (existing plans to park lorries at Manston airport, and the £150m’ worth of contingency ferry capacity, are the most recent news I recall reading in respect of U.K. preparations).

Neither the Irish nor the U.K. will start putting up infrastructure along the NI border after end March 2019, for as long as international pressure and geopolitics let them get away with it. But if the first 3 months of crash-out Brexit don’t see the U.K. signing on the (worse) emergency agreement including a CU, then you’ll start seeing huts, barriers and customs officers, that I guarantee you - for the exact, real-world reasons already explained to you (neither U.K. nor EU can leave their border unsecured under WTO, UN and a whole raft of further international treaties and agreements).

Excellent, you used a lot words to agree with me that  the UK,  the Republic of Ireland and the EU haven't started any preparation work to install a hard border  before 29th March when the UK will leave the EU without deal unless a Withdrawal Agreement is reached that is acceptable to all parties.

Edited by Lockdoctor

54 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

This Forum's amazingly lucky, having so many experts contributing to this subject.
In depth analysis, far-sighted observations, even possible solutions to the problem.

Being 'in' politics is not just about standing for office as a local councillor or as an MP.

It is just as much about educating yourself as to how the world works, and taking a view  on issues that are important to you. The UK is woefully behind many countries when it comes to a politically educated populous. Look at any TV quiz show. When 'politics' comes up as a subject, contestants look disappointed and always seem to have an expectation to know little or nothing about the subject. When a choice is given between 'politics' and 'celebrities' a contestant will almost always feel more comfortable going for the 'celebrity' option.

If more people had even a basic fundamental political understanding, they would have a framework into which they could place new information and make an assessment of it. It would certainly make us more resiliant to fake news and dog whistle political sloganeering as a nation. 

1 hour ago, apelike said:

But with a margin of only 8 votes I think any intentions are **** poor and parliament is still very much divided.

Similar margin to the referendum. Looks fine to me.

Much higher turnout as well ;)

41 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Excellent, you used a lot words to agree with me that  the UK,  the Republic of Ireland and the EU haven't started any preparation work to install a hard border  before 29th March when the UK will leave the EU without deal unless a Withdrawal Agreement is reached that is acceptable to all parties.

They can’t. 

The New IRA would start terrorist acts against it within days

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

The burning question is where will we build the wicker man to put Rees-Mogg and Farage in Once this all goes wrong