The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Angela Smith MP on Sky news this morning, advocating a second referendum, where the options would be either a) vote for May's deal

Or b) vote to remain 

Absolutely hilarious! 

Thanks for the laugh. 

Angela then, sanctimoniously, tells us 'it's what the people want'.  

Do all these politicians wishing to ignore the referendum result really think their leave voting constituencies will ever vote them back in power? 

Edited by Lex Luthor

1 hour ago, Lex Luthor said:

Leavers have been sitting quietly on the sidelines.....

What a load of old rubbish.

Leavers have been sitting quietly on the sidelines: whilst remainers have been making all the noise, trying to reverse the result of the referendum from the very moment it was announced. 

Mistaking patience for apathy could turn out to be a catastrophic mistake. 

Of course we’ll try and reverse it if we don’t agree with it. Just like the leave campaigns spent years trying to reverse the previous referendum

That is how democracy works.

But leavers have hardly been on the sidelines. They’ve been running the process.

50 minutes ago, woodview said:

Hardly. They run Parliament. The deal with all it's shortcomings has lots of concerns considered. It just doesn't hit your demand to stay fully in.

I’m not demanding we fully stay in. I’d prefer that but I’m happy with EEA/EFTA as that respects the result

4 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Of course we’ll try and reverse it if we don’t agree with it. Just like the leave campaigns spent years trying to reverse the previous referendum

That is how democracy works.

But leavers have hardly been on the sidelines. They’ve been running the process.

I’m not demanding we fully stay in. I’d prefer that but I’m happy with EEA/EFTA as that respects the result

EEA only respects it in name. We are still tied by most of the same rules, and still have to have full FoM, still pay membership.

What aspect of Mays deal is most concerning to you? My biggest is being locked in the 'transition' indefinitely. But to someone who supports Remain, the transition is more or less what we have now.

15 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

What a load of old rubbish.

Of course it is not rubbish.  Most leavers will have been sitting on the sidelines because Article 50 has been triggered and Parliament have passed legislation putting into  law the UK will leave the EU on 29th March.   At the moment the default legal position if Mrs May's deal is rejected by Parliament is the UK will leave the EU without a deal.  Most leave voters seem quite happy if the UK leave the EU without a deal. However, if Parliament attempt to move the goalposts with the help of a dodgy speaker, who changes the rules then leave voters who have kept quiet will be very angry and have every reason to be angry, if attempts are made to cheat them out of their democratic wish which is to leave the EU.

Angela Smith MP on Sky news this morning, advocating a second referendum, where the options would be either a) vote for May's deal

Or b) vote to remain 

Do all these politicians wishing to ignore the referendum result really think their leave voting constituencies will ever vote them back in power? 

I'm "people".  Its what I want.

And, according to YouGov last week its also what 46% of the country want. (39% voted remain).

I don't care which party backs a second referendum, they'll have my support.    

Labour could do really well here if they backed a second referendum and also got rid of Corbyn for a more centre left leader.  They'd easily grab the support of Tory remainers.  Who cares if they lose the "red rosette on a pig" Labour Brexit supporters? Where are they going to go?

Edited by alchresearch

Nice to see Look North carrying an extended piece on possible food shortages in the event of a No Deal Brexit last night. On the same day that a government minister was "accidentally" photographed with a piece of paper saying "No deal no food".

You'd almost think it was concerted.

How dirty can you get though? You know how people go crackers shopping if the shops are shut for even one day, what's that story going to do? Especially when they repeat it, as i'm sure they will.

They may protest that they are only warning people not to panic buy, whilst at the same time ensuring that they will panic buy.

Disgraceful.

16 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Of course it is not rubbish.  Most leavers will have been sitting on the sidelines because Article 50 has been triggered and Parliament have passed legislation putting into  law the UK will leave the EU on 29th March.   At the moment the default legal position if Mrs May's deal is rejected by Parliament is the UK will leave the EU without a deal.  Most leave voters seem quite happy if the UK leave the EU without a deal. However, if Parliament attempt to move the goalposts with the help of a dodgy speaker, who changes the rules then leave voters who have kept quiet will be very angry and have every reason to be angry, if attempts are made to cheat them out of their democratic wish which is to leave the EU.

Boring!!!!!!!!

31 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

But I thought you had previously stated it was up to the leavers to do that (the you own it bit) and not up to remainers. But thinking on if leave has had years trying to reverse it then the public in that time must have been well informed about it.

Just now, apelike said:

But I thought you had previously stated it was up to the leavers to do that (the you own it bit) and not up to remainers. But thinking on if leave has had years trying to reverse it then the public in that time must have been well informed about it.

Do you honestly think the public have been well informed about the EU prior to brexit? 

Or b) vote to remain 

Absolutely hilarious! 

Thanks for the laugh. 

Similarly, Vince Cable on BBC Breakfast, suggesting that he wants to reverse the Brexit decision in "a democratic way"!

Just now, RiffRaff said:

Similarly, Vince Cable on BBC Breakfast, suggesting that he wants to reverse the Brexit decision in "a democratic way"!

Well, if we had another vote on it, wouldn't that be democratic?

Just now, RiffRaff said:

Well, if we had another vote on it, wouldn't that be democratic?