Scarborough : what to do?

I've got 3 early-afternoon hours to kill in Scarborough, early June.

Head for seafront and just wander, or ?

Haven't been to the town in years, so quite looking forward to it....but what to do? 

Fishing for mackrel off the pier on the North Shore.

Do you cycle? The old cinder track from Scarborough to Whitby is great. In 3 hours you could get to Robin Hood's Bay, have some chips and get back.  Or, if you didnt want to go that far there is a great pub called the Hayburn Wyke Inn which is just off the track a few miles north of Scarborough.

Alternatively just relax at North Bay, which is far more preferable to the arcades etc that plague South Bay. In fact the stretch of coast from the castle to North Bay is quite pleasant. Also, nice views from Oliver's Mount if uou want to walk up there.

Edited by stifflersmom

Hmmm...Interesting stuff so far! Thanks!

Unfortunately I've never fished in my life, but nice idea - cheers!

Will not have access to a bike, as all I'm doing is waiting for a train. Maybe a taxi to the Hayburn Wyke is worth considering!

Useful info re South v. North Bay...again, thanks.

Will have the better half with me, but I'm trying to avoid "just" being dragged around the likes of Debenhams!

Open top bus ride up to Sea Life centre.

14 minutes ago, willman said:

Open top bus ride up to Sea Life centre.

Now THAT is a tozzing idea! Nice one, ta.

Take your swimming togs and have a dip with the Sea Swim gang down at the beach huts down by the spa.

They've converted two huts into changing rooms.

The Scarborough Fair Collection is a museum of fairground mechanical organs and showman's engines, located in Scarborough  mechanical fairground organs dating back to the 1800’s,  Showman’s Steam Engines and a collection of vintage cars, tractors, motorbikes and more classic vehicles you can also see some vintage fairground rides I heard that the Penny Arcade that use to be in Bridlington has moved in there remember the penny slot machines of the 1950's to 1970's that will take you back to years gone by search it out on the web looks impressive bit pricey though £7.75 per adult ideal if is cold and wet, closed on any Mondays and Tuesdays except for bank holidays, then there is the Scarborough Naval Warfare battle with model ships on Peasholm Park Lake that's worth watching it use to be on twice a week but don't know which day's, have a walk round the Castle thats bracing.

Edited by MEC176

Cracking ideas! Thanks to all of you!

Find a good chippy then a Pub. Sorted.  :thumbsup:

If time is limited to just 3 hours then take a good camera, wander around and take some photos as there are some nice places and things to photograph.

1. Sit outside the Teapot Cafe at the harbour and have a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich then stroll out along the harbour wall to the end and gaze at the sea.

2. Walk from the harbour round to the North Bay along Marine Drive - about 40 minutes - and then sit outside the pub at Scalby Mills with a pint of local ale and look at the sea. If you don't want to walk back, take the miniature train from the station behind the Sea Life Centre, which will drop you next to Peasholm Park.

3. Go for a hour's cruise on the M.V. Regal Lady. Can't remember exactly how much it is, roundabout a fiver. There's a bar on board too - nothing finer than standing in the bows on a sunny day with the breeze in your hair and a pint in your hand.