Jump to content


Is This Really Offensive.

mort

The name calling can cease or I will hand out suspensions. Enough. 

Message added by mort

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

but that doesnt mean that it ISNT a term enshrined in history with slavery, subjugation and apartheid

To go a little off topic for a moment, you know what makes me laugh? its when people say that whites of today shouldn't feel any sort of pride over our kinds achievements of the past, partially because they're human achievements rather than white achievements, but yet these same people will say that whites should very much feel guilty about perceived wrongs by some whites in the past! slavery isn't a human crime...its a white crime!!

Edited by Hots on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hots on said:

To go a little off topic for a moment, you know what makes me laugh? its when people say that whites of today shouldn't feel any sort of pride over our kinds achievements of the past, partially because they're human achievements rather than white achievements, but yet these same people will say that whites should very much feel guilty about perceived wrongs by some whites in the past!

you dont smile liar, you sit in a pool of bile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

you dont smile liar, you sit in a pool of bile

Let me ask you a question. During the days of slavery of blacks by white Europeans, what percentage of white people do you think took an active part in it?

Edited by Hots on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hots on said:

Let me ask you a question. During the days of slavery of blacks by white Europeans, what percentage of white people do you think took an active part in the slave trade?

no idea, but quite a bit of what we term the "western world" was built on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, melthebell said:

no idea, but quite a bit of what we term the "western world" was built on it

Well let me tell you it was the rich elite privateers and an amount of hired help, in other words a tiny proportion of the white population, but you think that whites as a whole should carry the weight of some collective guilt!

 

As for the western world being built on it, non whites are benefiting from living in the west too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

What term would you use to describe a persons "skin colour" your words, not mine. 

 

I see little connection whatever of the segrigation of coloured people in the States and Amber Rudd saying Mz Abbott is a coloured woman.

 

Angel1.

Amber Rudd is supposed to be an educated politician.  

I'm not suggesting she is a racist, but in her position she should have been aware of the hurt and offense the term can cause. 

Many people now consider  it to be a racist slur. 

 

"No Coloreds Allowed" a typical sign in America until just a few decades ago. A good enough reason to stop using the term is to be aware of history and be sensitive to other people's feelings. 

Edited by janie48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Well let me tell you it was the rich elite privateers and an amount of hired help, in other words a tiny proportion of the white population, but you think that whites as a whole should carry the weight of some collective guilt!

 

As for the western world being built on it, non whites are benefiting from living in the west too!

The soldiers of the Confederate army in the American civil war were far from a "tiny proportion"

Edited by Ontarian1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, janie48 said:

It would be offensive to many people and that's why its a term that shouldn't be used to describe a person's skin colour. 

 

Arnt you aware of the segregation black people had to endure in many parts of the USA  for example, it was shameful, and not all that long ago. 

 

But black people in the modern day use the term POC - People of Colour

 

It's practically the same two words switched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mister M said:

She does. She gets rape threats, death threats, racist abuse that is just off the scale. More so than any other MP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/40586335/labour-s-diane-abbott-tells-of-racist-and-sexist-abuse

In this context, it's understandable why she feels so sensitive to any slight after the dreadful abuse she regularly gets.

 

To be fair, Rudd gets a fair few nasty tweets as well - she read a few out today. 

37 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Well that's understandable  because she talks garbage  and is a pillock. 

She's a complete pillock but unless you're a moron, take apart her argument and poor grasp of mathematics. Don't racially abuse her, or threaten to rape or kill her you nob heads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, janie48 said:

Amber Rudd is supposed to be an educated politician.  

I'm not suggesting she is a racist, but in her position she have should have been aware of the hurt and offense the term can cause. 

Many people now consider  it to be a racist slur. 

 

 

Rudd isn't the first or the last to trip over it. And Abbott knows about saying stuff she didn't mean to - she's made a career of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, janie48 said:

 

"No Coloreds Allowed" a typical sign in America until just a few decades ago. A good enough reason to stop using the term is to be aware of history and be sensitive to other people's feelings. 

That's because the phrase is offensive as a sentence. The word is virtually irrelevant.

If it said ' no black people allowed' it would be equally offensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The soldiers of the Confederate army in the American civil war were far from a "tiny proportion"

Putting aside a debate about what motivated each individual confederate soldier to take arms, I'd say they are a tiny proportion of the global white population yes. btw, what, in the main, was the ethnicity of the side that defeated them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

X