Is This Really Offensive.

mort

The name calling can cease or I will hand out suspensions. Enough. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, Eater Sundae said:

I need to know...

When my eighty-odd year old black mother in law (who came to Sheffield from Jamaica in the 1950s) refers to herself and people of her skin colour as “coloured”, which she certainly has for the 35 years I’ve known her, should I reprimand her for being racist, and should I do everything I can to defend her from herself?

I'm  glad you have told us about your mother in law  because many years ago when I was at school we were told not to say black but to address our new foreign  friends as coloured, people couldn't  even say black plastic bag or they would be in trouble.

Now many years later we are told  that black is the correct word, in the next generation they will have thought of an alternative and when I say they, who are these people who decide what we should call people. 

Wouldn't  it be better for us to ask them how they would like to be addressed? 

It's  like treading on glass with the PC language watchers and as for Abbott oh if only she knew what she did get called.

I believe "coloured" was the general term for black people in slavery times. Coloured, ne**, etc. Black is preferable nowadays. 

Edited by danot

Now we are going over to Eddie Booth and Alf Garnett for a word or two.   LOL

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Just been on the evening news, Diane Abbott has been refered to as a "coloured woman" by Amber Rudd. Mz Abbott has demanded an apology as she is offended by the term coloured woman. Of course Mz Rudd has apologised unreservedly, but I doubt if that will be the end of it. Here is my question, is that term, offensive or not.

Angel1.

Not offensive at all . And why the hell has Rudd apologised ? she hasnt said owt wrong. 

2 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

Bunch of reight snowflakes the right wingers on here aren't they mel?  They love being offended on a daily basis by a bit of PC.

I aint offended by what Rudd said. 

16 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Not offensive at all . And why the hell has Rudd apologised ? she hasnt said owt wrong. 

I aint offended by what Rudd said. 

maybe if you was of a race that had been subjugated in slavery for centuries you might?

45 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

I'm  glad you have told us about your mother in law  because many years ago when I was at school we were told not to say black but to address our new foreign  friends as coloured, people couldn't  even say black plastic bag or they would be in trouble.

Now many years later we are told  that black is the correct word, in the next generation they will have thought of an alternative and when I say they, who are these people who decide what we should call people. 

Wouldn't  it be better for us to ask them how they would like to be addressed? 

It's  like treading on glass with the PC language watchers and as for Abbott oh if only she knew what she did get called.

She does. She gets rape threats, death threats, racist abuse that is just off the scale. More so than any other MP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/40586335/labour-s-diane-abbott-tells-of-racist-and-sexist-abuse

In this context, it's understandable why she feels so sensitive to any slight after the dreadful abuse she regularly gets.

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

She does. She gets rape threats, death threats, racist abuse that is just off the scale. More so than any other MP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/40586335/labour-s-diane-abbott-tells-of-racist-and-sexist-abuse

In this context, it's understandable why she feels so sensitive to any slight after the dreadful abuse she regularly gets.

Well that's understandable  because she talks garbage  and is a pillock. 

9 minutes ago, melthebell said:

maybe if you was of a race that had been subjugated in slavery for centuries you might?

Whites didn't invent slavery but they were the first and only race to abolish it.

1 minute ago, Hots on said:

Whites didn't invent slavery but they were the first and only race to abolish it.

but that doesnt mean that it ISNT a term enshrined in history with slavery, subjugation and apartheid

3 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Well that's understandable  because she talks garbage  and is a pillock. 

Did you watch the link and listen to what she gets thrown at her on a regular basis. As she says, it's not about robust debate, it's about hate, bigotry and sheer nastiness. 

And at least she's got the guts to put herself up for election - unlike the legions of cowards who sit behind their computers and abuse her.

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Did you watch the link and listen to what she gets thrown at her on a regular basis. As she says, it's not about robust debate, it's about hate, bigotry and sheer nastiness. 

So what about her own comments?

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

So what about her own comments?

Are they illegal?