Is This Really Offensive.

mort

The name calling can cease or I will hand out suspensions. Enough. 

Message added by mort

Guest makapaka
2 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

If it's OK for people to be so sensitive about such terminology we had all better watch our p's and q's, because we will eventually create a situation where anything considered offensive terminology is outlawed or criminalised, so the nasty vitriolic leftists better watch out too 😀

No as long as people steer clear of being prejudiced things will be just fine so don’t worry.

1 hour ago, Mister Gee said:

The poster from Penistone didn't quote The Daily Telegraph though did he?

Source is irrelevant if the content is true, which in this case, it is.

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

Because words are not static, their usage and meaning changes over time.

Point taken, however , shouldn't the same point also apply to the word colo(u)red?

29 minutes ago, convert said:

Point taken, however , shouldn't the same point also apply to the word colo(u)red?

It does. These days all the black people I know refer themselves as black though - 'coloured' is very outdated in a naff TV sitcom kind of way.

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

It does. These days all the black people I know refer themselves as black though - 'coloured' is very outdated in a naff TV sitcom kind of way.

So what is the problem with Amber Rudd saying it then?

I've got to admit, knowing which terms are deemed to be derogatory these days is a bit of a minefield.

Take the LGBTQ+ community (we'll soon need to use a whole row of a typewriter to refer them!), where it is now OK to use the word Queer.

I think, as previous posters have mentioned it should be down to intent, and the context in which the terms are used.

The term 'Black' doesn't relate to darkness of skin, it relates to race and culture. Light skinned, and dark skinned blacks are equally as black. 

Edited by danot

8 hours ago, makapaka said:

No as long as people steer clear of being prejudiced things will be just fine so don’t worry.

What's classed as prejudice these days ?  The only ones I see being called, labelled or generalised about without  the usual modern day 'social media' driven outrage of sexism, racism or phobia are most often straight white males, especially older ones !

Oh and FWIW it's not something I'm personally worried about despite being well into 'middle age', merely an observation :wink:

Guest makapaka
30 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

What's classed as prejudice these days ?  The only ones I see being called, labelled or generalised about without  the usual modern day 'social media' driven outrage of sexism, racism or phobia are most often straight white males, especially older ones !

Oh and FWIW it's not something I'm personally worried about despite being well into 'middle age', merely an observation :wink:

The definition hasn’t changed.

31 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

Speaking as a white middle aged straight man have you thought about taking up angling? The real thing is a lot more enjoyable than the cyber version.

Guest makapaka
51 minutes ago, _lecro_ said:

How is "a person of colour" deemed ok yet "coloured" isnt.

Utter nonsense IMHO !

Because coloured was generally used in the Deep South of America to describe black slaves and if you don’t want to be reminded of that you probably wouldn’t like to be called it.

People could just stop using the term - or get out of their pram defending why they should be able to say it - but it’s probably best not to use it at all yeah?

Of course you're right lecro ,  more pc lunacy.