Is This Really Offensive.

mort

The name calling can cease or I will hand out suspensions. Enough. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Just been on the evening news, Diane Abbott has been refered to as a "coloured woman" by Amber Rudd. Mz Abbott has demanded an apology as she is offended by the term coloured woman. Of course Mz Rudd has apologised unreservedly, but I doubt if that will be the end of it. Here is my question, is that term, offensive or not.

Angel1.

It would be offensive to many people and that's why its a term that shouldn't be used to describe a person's skin colour. 

Arnt you aware of the segregation black people had to endure in many parts of the USA  for example, it was shameful, and not all that long ago. 

Rudd apologised, that should be that. 

Benedict comberbatch fell foul of it a year or two back during an awards speech or interview. There’s a thread on here somewhere if you can be arsed to look for it which I can’t.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

What's more offensive, accidentally using an old fashioned term "coloured", or generalising about a whole race wanting to play divide and rule? Genuine question.

I'm not offended, you seem to have got your knickers in a twist again though.

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

I'm not offended, you seem to have got your knickers in a twist again though.

No, they're untwisted thanks.

10 minutes ago, janie48 said:

It would be offensive to many people and that's why its a term that shouldn't be used to describe a person's skin colour. 

Arnt you aware of the segregation black people had to endure in many parts of the USA  for example, it was shameful, and not all that long ago. 

They only have to do a 1 minute google to find where its origins come from, South Africa as well as the great ole USA

I need to know...

When my eighty-odd year old black mother in law (who came to Sheffield from Jamaica in the 1950s) refers to herself and people of her skin colour as “coloured”, which she certainly has for the 35 years I’ve known her, should I reprimand her for being racist, and should I do everything I can to defend her from herself?

What matters is intent. If someone innocently uses an out of date term without malice, because they don’t know any better, then by all means advise them how some people don’t like to hear the word, and give them the opportunity to stop using it as they now know it can cause offence. To immediately accuse that person of being racist says much more about the accuser. It’s not that they’re a snowflake, it’s that they’re a nasty, hateful person who makes the world a worse place to live.

32 minutes ago, Eater Sundae said:

I need to know...

When my eighty-odd year old black mother in law (who came to Sheffield from Jamaica in the 1950s) refers to herself and people of her skin colour as “coloured”, which she certainly has for the 35 years I’ve known her, should I reprimand her for being racist, and should I do everything I can to defend her from herself?

What matters is intent. If someone innocently uses an out of date term without malice, because they don’t know any better, then by all means advise them how some people don’t like to hear the word, and give them the opportunity to stop using it as they now know it can cause offence. To immediately accuse that person of being racist says much more about the accuser. It’s not that they’re a snowflake, it’s that they’re a nasty, hateful person who makes the world a worse place to live.

A good sensible contribution.

Times change and it can be difficult keeping up with PC language .Coloured seemed ok for a while but is now apparently not acceptable whereas “people of colour” is now commonly used.

If no offence is intended ,some tolerance is required,and it’s usually pretty obvious whether there is intent to be offensive.

There is some irony that the NAACP has never deemed it necessary to change its’ name.

54 minutes ago, janie48 said:

What term would you use to describe a persons "skin colour" your words, not mine. 

I see little connection whatever of the segrigation of coloured people in the States and Amber Rudd saying Mz Abbott is a coloured woman.

Angel1.

8 minutes ago, RJRB said:

A good sensible contribution.

Times change and it can be difficult keeping up with PC language .Coloured seemed ok for a while but is now apparently not acceptable whereas “people of colour” is now commonly used.

If no offence is intended ,some tolerance is required,and it’s usually pretty obvious whether there is intent to be offensive.

There is some irony that the NAACP has never deemed it necessary to change its’ name.

Here is the minefield we are now in. What is the difference between person of colour (now used) and "coloured person" (not used now). They seem very similar to a 70 year old bloke like myself. We are in the minefield, and there is no way out for us.

Angel1.

I would've interpreted it as clumsiness on the part of Rudd but then I'm not a black woman whose had a great deal of abuse and threats.

It's interesting to know that its given plenty of ammunition to Abbott's enemies on here to have a go at her. It doesn't take much....

Just now, Mister M said:

I would've interpreted it as clumsiness on the part of Rudd but then I'm not a black woman whose had a great deal of abuse and threats.

It's interesting to know that its given plenty of ammunition to Abbott's enemies on here to have a go at her. It doesn't take much....

The OP certainly seems to have a bit of a thing going on?

I know middle age black people who describe themselves as coloured. It's not in the same category as blacknpeople using the N word either.

BBC said university guidelines describe it as old fashioned. Probably so. People wanting to find offence or gain political advantage will do so. I think it's counter productive, most people will shake their heads at the drizzle in a teacup.