Is This Really Offensive.

mort

The name calling can cease or I will hand out suspensions. Enough. 

Message added by mort

Just been on the evening news, Diane Abbott has been refered to as a "coloured woman" by Amber Rudd. Mz Abbott has demanded an apology as she is offended by the term coloured woman. Of course Mz Rudd has apologised unreservedly, but I doubt if that will be the end of it. Here is my question, is that term, offensive or not.

Angel1.

5 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Just been on the evening news, Diane Abbott has been refered to as a "coloured woman" by Amber Rudd. Mz Abbott has demanded an apology as she is offended by the term coloured woman. Of course Mz Rudd has apologised unreservedly, but I doubt if that will be the end of it. Here is my question, is that term, offensive or not.

Angel1.

oh course not its snowflakery at its best! we are all some sort of colour.

Edited by neworderishere

Of course it is not offensive if you are white and have never experienced prejudice based on the colour of your skin.

Would anyone have questioned this before Brexi/Trump?

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Of course it is not offensive if you are white and have never experienced prejudice based on the colour of your skin.

I'm white and have experienced prejudice based on the colour of my skin. Why is "coloured" offensive? I don't like the term myself but not sure why it's considered so much worse than black or white.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

What has Brexit / Trump got to do with it ?

Dianne Abbott being the intellectual that she is, has said plenty of derogatory things about white people.

Im sure Rudd did not mean to cause offence as well.

Its a mountain being made from a mole hill.

Rudd apologised, end of story.

Coloured used to describe black people - is a silly description.

19 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Hmmm... :huh:

... maybe it was the 'woman' bit that she was offended by? :roll:

Diane Abbott's the last person who should be complaining about racist language considering her long history of racist remarks about white people. The trouble with politically correct language is that it's impossible to keep up with all the latest diktats because we hear a new one almost every day. Being offended has become the great British national pastime.

2 minutes ago, despritdan said:

Diane Abbott's the last person who should be complaining about racist language considering her long history of racist remarks about white people. The trouble with politically correct language is that it's impossible to keep up with all the latest diktats because we hear a new one almost every day. Being offended has become the great British national pastime.

Indeed. She's certainly no stranger to it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/8996425/Diane-Abbott-forced-to-apologise-in-racism-row-after-claiming-White-people-love-playing-divide-and-rule.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288358/Diane-Abbott-plays-race-card-excuse-decision-send-son-private-school.html

Edited by WiseOwl182

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

waheey and off we go again

Bunch of reight snowflakes the right wingers on here aren't they mel?  They love being offended on a daily basis by a bit of PC.

7 minutes ago, despritdan said:

Spot on!     I'm offended that people are offended 😀

Just now, Mister Gee said:

Bunch of reight snowflakes the right wingers on here aren't they mel?  They love being offended on a daily basis by a bit of PC.

What's more offensive, accidentally using an old fashioned term "coloured", or generalising about a whole race wanting to play divide and rule? Genuine question.