Can we trust Facebook's seductive claims?

Can we trust Mark Zuckerberg's smooth claims of enhanced privacy for facebook users (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47477677)? And bearing in mind that other tech giants such as google and twitter are keeping very quiet (whilst writing to the UK government to plead for regulation-lite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47400140), is democracy itself vulnerable to control and cancellation by powerful private interests?

As the hidden agenda of the tech giants is glimpsed through recent controversies, should we be more vocal in opposition to their continuing determination to mine our private lives for corporate gain whilst carefully hiding their own intentions in the shadows of corporate secrecy?

Unless monitoring and regulation of these for-profit giants google, facebook and twitter (and their imitators) are fully implemented, human autonomy is under serious threat. We should all be aware of the secret corporate interests that lurk below the glossy veneer of these silicon behemoths.

For more information on this threat to our personal integrity and the democratic values that are menaced by big tech see:

Shoshaana Zuboff, The Age of Surveillance Capitalism, Profile Books (London, 2019) for a monumental but essential read.

1 hour ago, Staunton said:

As the hidden agenda of the tech giants is glimpsed through recent controversies, should we be more vocal in opposition to their continuing determination to mine our private lives for corporate gain whilst carefully hiding their own intentions in the shadows of corporate secrecy?

Well, yeah, we could.

Or we could just decide not to use them.

Just an opinion, If I were very cynical I would lay the blame at the whole network of world wide corporate companies greed, some whilst wanting to pay the lowest Tax Contributions, themselves or for their companies so they could give themselves Massive Tax Free Bonuses, whilst paying the lowest in wages to their staff and employees, whilst expecting the best service from them, all the time.

Edited by DeZeus
NO,,,Now how does one close their FB acct?

facebook's business model is to provide a free social media platform which then harvests its user's personal data and uses it to sell targetted advertising.

Yes, you can have more privacy but would you be prepared to pay to go on your facebooks for the privilege?

4 hours ago, DeZeus said:

Just an opinion, If I were very cynical I would lay the blame at the whole network of world wide corporate companies greed, some whilst wanting to pay the lowest Tax Contributions, themselves or for their companies so they could give themselves Massive Tax Free Bonuses, whilst paying the lowest in wages to their staff and employees, whilst expecting the best service from them, all the time.

See on the Fiddle on this thread.