The New Wednesday?

3 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

It appears that one club in this City are gearing up to play Barcelona in the next 4 years and the other club is just not in the same class.

It struck me this morning, that considering how bad we were earlier this season, with really important players out injured for months on end, with a manager, that for reasons known only to him, kept some of our more prominent players on the sidelines, and some players having shocking attitudes and letting the fans down with lethargic, uncaring performances, we find ourselves only 6 points outside the Play Offs.

Think about that for a moment.

Even if we'd upped our game by a smallish percentage from August to January, there's every chance we could have been up in the top 6 for the last month or two.

That, to me, infers that overall, the teams who've occupied the top 8 places this season, are not exactly World Beaters. They're actually all much of a muchness, with no stand out team amongst them.

I know United fans like to tell us how other teams' supporters say that United are ''The best team we've played all season'', but looking at the competition, that's not been so hard to achieve really.

I didn't want Steve Bruce at Hillsborough. I've never been impressed with any team he's ever had, regarding exciting, entertaining football. The Hull side that beat us were pretty poor and I think we should have taken them, but Hey Ho!

That said, he has a string of successes under his belt, so he knows what he's doing.

I'm very impressed with his three signings, and if that's the standard of player he's looking to bring in permanently, then he's going to impress me, that's for sure.

I had pessimistic views on SB, but he's already done enough to make me think again.

We made a decent show against the Barca Blades and IF we can hold on to our Loanees permanently, and when they get to know each other better, and our long term injured get back, we're going to have an impressive side. Obviously, we can always improve on what we've got, and it seems to me that SB knows a good player when he sees one.

3 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

If we'd played anything like we regularly played under Carlos, with the attacking intent we used to have (and may soon have again), with our best striker back fit, I think. with Bruce's tactics, we'd have seen 'em off on Monday.

This team is still getting to know each other.

It's STILL not a full strength team, and hasn't been all of this mediocre season.  

I,ll second those two statements.

54 minutes ago, woodview said:

Another 0-0 and the play-offs are imminent!Got to admire your blind optimism. Good luck though.

I've read and re-read my posts and I can't for the life of me see where I said 'the Play Offs are imminent'.

OH! Was it you who said the Play Offs are imminent?

If your'e talking about us, I hope so. :thumbsup:

If you're talking about United, well bad luck. :(

I thought you might get automatic with a strong wind behind you and a lorry load of good luck. :hihi:

28 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

I,ll second those two statements.

Common sense really Alan, innit?

Both true reflections on how I (we) see it.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

The new Wednesday? Is this the one that was formed in 1867 or the Sheffield Wednesday that was formed in 1929?

Wednesday fans must be very disappointed that after all the money that's been spent and having been in the Championship for 5 more years than the Blades they've never really troubled the top two places. 

And yet yet the Blades in only their second season with a rag and tag, second hand bunch of misfits find themselves in the top three with only 11 games left. 

What's the new Wednesday to be called?

Chansiri Wednesday? That'll suit his ego. And you'll all continue your love in with the guy. 

3 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Common sense really Alan, innit?

Both true reflections on how I (we) see it.

I think we have both watched them long enough to know whether things  are right or not. 

The old Wednesday of 7 or 8 weeks ago have left the building.

Hope Steve Bruce can change the style we play,as the United game was just booting the ball up to Fletcher,just like the fans have seen before,hope its a faster type of football with Skillfull players,and more passing type of play,next season might be totally different with a new set off players Steve Bruce wants to bring in,so the fans will wanting to see how many players finally leave the Owls,Why?did we sign so many unwanted players

Good OP, forget the Blades and the Derby. Wednesday look a different team now that can hopefully progress, maybe not this season with the fixtures they have, but Owls should now be looking forward to next season just on the basis of how we are playing. If we hadn't spent 25 games passing it across the back four we could possible have been in the playoffs. 

Makes a mockery of the talk previously of us being a team in need of a clearout. A few astute signings and the Owls should be challenging next season.

3 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

The new Wednesday? Is this the one that was formed in 1867 or the Sheffield Wednesday that was formed in 1929?

Wednesday fans must be very disappointed that after all the money that's been spent and having been in the Championship for 5 more years than the Blades they've never really troubled the top two places. 

And yet yet the Blades in only their second season with a rag and tag, second hand bunch of misfits find themselves in the top three with only 11 games left. 

Chansiri Wednesday? That'll suit his ego. And you'll all continue your love in with the guy. 

Another one rattled.

16 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Another one rattled.

Yep. If they can't 'batter us' with their well organised, established, 'best team in the League' under 'the best manager outside the Premier League', whilst we have a team getting used to a new system, with a new manager, with , in essence, 5 or 6 'new' players who hardly know each other's names, then that speaks volumes.

We can only hope that the Blades aren't lucky enough to get promoted, so that we can go again next season (provided we don't sneak a Play Off place and win the thing! :hihi: )

Ah .............. football, what a great game!

UTO 

Edited by Hotmale 1954

18 hours ago, Treeman893 said:

Good OP, forget the Blades and the Derby. Wednesday look a different team now that can hopefully progress, maybe not this season with the fixtures they have, but Owls should now be looking forward to next season just on the basis of how we are playing. If we hadn't spent 25 games passing it across the back four we could possible have been in the playoffs. 

Makes a mockery of the talk previously of us being a team in need of a clearout. A few astute signings and the Owls should be challenging next season.

Looks a fair assessment to me. :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Is that 'love in' comment aimed at me, or Wednesday fans in general?

Ya know when someone like Theresa May spends billions on summat like HS2, and you don't agree with it?

There's not a lot I, as an individual can do or say to stop the madness.

Mr. Chansiri didn't ask my opinion before he 'spent' stacks of money on certain things and appointed and reorganised certain people.

It's his baby to do with it what he wants, but I don't think he's had that many people backing his lead.

It's all water under the bridge now, but the bridge could collapse on DC very shortly.

Who can tell? (apart from 'certain Blades?)

Edited by Hotmale 1954

13 hours ago, cmonkes said:

This is the thing though, we aren't rattled at all in fact I personally find it quite comical. 

After a season of dishing out excuses and ridiculous comments in order to mask the team that you have become, suddenly a few ground out results and the contradiction begins. 😂😂

You lot will achieve little (if anything) this season. The problem being that next season is going to be a tricky one and you lot know it...... Sanctions and punishment looming around the corner, so ideally you lot need to try and force the hand this season really. 

A couple of results will see you lot simmer out back to average mediocrity, whilst a couple of results will see us guaranteed play-offs minimum. However play-offs aren't our agenda at the minute and a couple of good results in the up and coming fixtures will put us right back into the mix. 

Bring it on I say..... Fill up on that bizarre optimism! It will only make a better visual spectacle for us guys when that bubble bursts again!!

"Ground out results" the games v Swansea and Brentford were as opposite to ground out as they could possibly be, we then forced a team that considers themselves to be the "best" totally change their game plan to play us last Monday, funny dat.

On 06/03/2019 at 16:26, abbeyedges said:

United were wasting money long before Wednesday had any to waste

On 06/03/2019 at 15:32, woodview said:

Another 0-0 and the play-offs are imminent!Got to admire your blind optimism. Good luck though.

Its more the fact we restricted a good top 3 side to scraps while nearly nicking it ourselves, and with no decent attacking options

Unless you don't consider yourself a good top 3 side