Sign in to follow this  

Sheffield Council trying to charge me

Hi

I’m wondering if anyone can give me some advice or if anyone else has been in the same situation.

Basically I moved out of a council house OVER 8 months ago!! And today, I’ve got in from work to find a bill from the council demanding over £200 for clearing something external to my old property. They have attached a thumbprint which by anyone’s standard is ineligible to what it is they’ve apparently cleared but more importantly I never left it there! If it’s true and they have cleared something then clearly someone has dumped something in my old garden after I left. Ive called the telephone number on the letter which surprisingly wasn’t a working number anyone but finally got through to someone on another number who then brought up my details and confirmed themselves they couldn’t tell what it was and when they brought the job no up that’s on my letter, no info was available!

I’m having to write in to dispute it which obviously I’m going to do but first of all can the council try and charge me for something this long after? And also how the hell am I going to prove it wasent me that left it! It really infuriates me as I cleaned the house top to bottom ready for the new tenant to move in but now this, the cheek of it!

I would think that you can challenge them to prove that you did leave it there.  Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Yep it shouldn't be upto you to prove the item was not yours, the onus is on the council to demonstrate you have left it.

Does the invoice mention the date of removal?  If it was quite some time after you moved out then they really don't have a leg to stand on.