Will you eventually buy a hybrid car?

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

I have solar panels on my roof, but they do not generate enough to power my car, I see that as the only reason for buying an electric car.

Clean diesels will be around for a long time yet, yet are good on fuel economy, and you can put vegetable oil in them if you want.

I thought that this is not feasible on anything with modern high pressure injectors?

2 hours ago, willman said:

There's more to being environmentally friendly than not using fossil fuel.

Doesn't somehow mean that using less fossil fuel isn't though does it.

Yes, have a BMW 330e. 60mpg and 250bhp+ when needed. Low company car tax.  What’s not to like?

I would want a massive government incentive before even thinking about it.  Remember the scrappage scheme a little while back from the gov?  A couple of grand is all it was. At the time is was available my old car was worth 4k.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Doesn't somehow mean that using less fossil fuel isn't though does it.

It doesn't mean it does though either. 

I have a self-charging hybrid, it's my second one. It suits me in terms of economy, reliability and comfort. It isn't what the trade press would call 'a driver's car', but that doesn't bother me, I got all of that out of my system when I was much younger and driving could indeed be fun. I'll no doubt have another one next time I change my car.

My next car will be electric, I aim to drive my current car for another two years, by when there will be a decent selection. Polestar 2 is looking very tasty 😎

7 hours ago, willman said:

It doesn't mean it does though either. 

It is though.  You know it is, I know it is.

Reducing your use of fossil fuel is environmentally friendly.  There's much more you can do, but why criticise those who are doing that bit?

Quote Willman: 

There's more to being environmentally friendly than not using fossil fuel.

That is precisely what I meant when I said that I didn't know of any car that was environmentally friendly, hybrid or not.  When the components required to build a vehicle and the logistics are taken into account, fossil fuel is probably only a small part of the pollution equation.  My point was relating to your earlier comment about people buying hybrids because they are green and environmentally friendly.  It is probably more likely that folk buy them for the same reason as me - we don't like visiting the garage too often.

It's easy enough to check the cradle to grave environmental costs for a car, just google it.

To answer the OP, there are some very desirable hybrid cars, and I expect that one day if I don't skip straight to entirely electric then I'll have a hybrid.  I can only hope that it's a Porsche 918 Spyder (which would presumably mean I've won the lottery or robbed a bank).

https://www.drivingelectric.com/best-cars/684/fastest-hybrid-cars

From that list the BMW i8 is affordable, good looking and pretty quick.

Edited by Cyclone

We’ve always chosen cars based on fuel economy. For that reason we had diesels long before they became mainstream and when derv was cheaper than petrol. It made sense  due to using the vehicle for work.

This hybrid is the smallest in the range and is approximately the same size as the diesels that I used to have. Fuel consumption is probably better with the hybrid but it’s an unfair comparison because it was a long time ago since I had diesel - I ditched it as soon as I retired because I was fed up with the noise and rattle. 

The hybrid is smooth and quiet, particularly when setting off. It encourages the driver to be more fuel aware.  We didn’t buy it for environmental reasons. It was because of reliability (we knew the brand very well) and running costs.  Perhaps there are folk who do buy them for altruistic reasons but maybe more who buy them for economy. 

I reckon I have a good 5 years left in my current car at which point I'll most likely be looking at a full EV rather than a hybrid.