Will you eventually buy a hybrid car?

19 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

None when the wind doesn't blow.

Angel1.

How much diesel does the petrol station supply when we've sucked all the oil fields dry?

1 hour ago, woodview said:

How much diesel does the petrol station supply when we've sucked all the oil fields dry?

A quick google tells us that there is only 53 years of oil left. Me at 69, I think the oil reserves will last my lifetime, what say you.

Angel1.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

A quick google tells us that there is only 53 years of oil left. Me at 69, I think the oil reserves will last my lifetime, what say you.

Angel1.

you'll manage on diesel I think. But in the next 53 years watch the price rocket until that last very gallon will be two gazillion Euros. That will make the log burner / steam car more cost effective.

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

All we need to do is figure out how to : 

a) store hydrogen.

And b) make a fuel cell that can survive sulphur contamination.

I'm sure both are possible... 

Honda obviously had a solution. They had 4 filling stations dotted around the area and there were 6 production ready vehicles being driven around California. 

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I think the 50 year figure has actually been around for quite some time, it hasn't reduced as technology and new discoveries extend the end life.

It's not really possible to accurately predict, no-one is exploring for oil they don't have any intention on extracting for 30 years.

11 hours ago, Resident said:

Honda obviously had a solution. They had 4 filling stations dotted around the area and there were 6 production ready vehicles being driven around California. 

They had temporary solutions.

We can store hydrogen, but the atoms are so small they leak through the walls of the container.

Sulphur is everywhere, mix it with hydrogen and you've got sulphuric acid - fuel cells degrade (dissolve) quite quickly - more quickly than we would accept in a production car.

I'm sure we'll get there eventually, but not yet.

Edited by ads36

19 hours ago, Hots on said:

Some of these hybrid cars are dangerously silent when moving. More than once I've been startled by one getting close to me in fuel station car parks because you can't hear them around you.

Yes they are very quiet and that is one of the things i like about mine....but then again a lot of petrol vehicles are quiet unless they are fitted with one of those loud silly exhaust's...people are now used to the noise of a loud clattery diesel thinking there is a farm tractor around....remember what the "Green Cross Code" man used to say .."look right,then left,then right again"..i have had plenty walk straight in front of me without looking...usually too busy on the mobile....then glare at me as tho' it is my fault..."open yer eyes i say"...or words to that effect..sort of...

18 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Only if you wish to spend more money on fuel. We had the Outlander PHEV.  A total and complete waste of time and money. Despite the claims of 150mpg, the diesel varient will blind it on mpg.  The Outlander is a good model, if you go for the diesel.

Angel1.

I too have heard a lot of bad reviews about the Mitsubishi....but as i have never had one i can't really comment.....last year i had a quick look at the Kia Niro Hybrid and was very impressed,but it is a bit to big for me and i don't really want an SUV..apparently the new all electric version has a range of over 300 miles on a single charge,but it is completely sold out for the UK....will certainly have a look at the new Ceed hybrid when it arrives...

Like MPG claims from manufacturers you've got to take the range claims with a hefty pinch of salt.

On 12/03/2019 at 12:25, geared said:

Like MPG claims from manufacturers you've got to take the range claims with a hefty pinch of salt.

Does the salt make the batteries last longer?

On 11/03/2019 at 16:44, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Not all roses then is it. No lecky when their is no wind, and "Overall, wind power raises costs of electricity slightly." Oh goody, I'll have some of that.

Angel1.

Sure, if that's all you took from that page and it's references sure...