Will you eventually buy a hybrid car?

I thought so to - mileage is sporadic 60 one day 400 the next.  My interest is purely personal i.e tax benefits.

My current 2l diesel car returns 60 to the gallon most days and 50 on a bad day.

Yes do double check the company car tax as I believe it is or was very generous towards Hybrids.

Are you paid fuel by the mile or are you on a fuel card type deal?

8 minutes ago, geared said:

Yes do double check the company car tax as I believe it is or was very generous towards Hybrids.

Are you paid fuel by the mile or are you on a fuel card type deal?

Company mileage only on fuel card type deal.

I'll probably buy an electric  car.  Waiting for the Audi E Tron GT Sport.

I'll wait it out till people realise that battery operated vehicles aren't viable for the masses. I'll wait until Governments and Car manufacturers go back to an EXISTING clean technology, something Honda had several road legal vehicles using in California & featured on Top Gear by James May TWELVE YEARS ago & disappeared a few months later

The technology used the most abundant element in the known galaxy & the byproduct of using it was clean water. It's combined the speed and ease of refuelling an ICE powered vehicle with the cleanliness of electric and required only a small battery not much more powerful than what we use in ICE cars today.

The vehicle was called the FCX Clarity.

Some of these hybrid cars are dangerously silent when moving. More than once I've been startled by one getting close to me in fuel station car parks because you can't hear them around you.

I drive a Motability car, so I'm limited by the models that it is possible to lease on the scheme.  This means that last time around (4 years ago, one year left on the lease) I didn't have the choice of petrol models and had to get a diesel, as that was the Motability policy at the time.

Next time around I suspect that there will be less diesel models and more electric or hybrid cars to choose between.  That being so, I may choose a hybrid version, but I'm unlikely to choose a straight up electric vehicle.  My family live far enough away that trips to see them would be really hard to do by electric vehicle, and I do that journey frequently enough that I'm not prepared to have a car that stops me from seeing my family.  A hybrid can always switch back to another fuel when the batteries run out.

It is possible that the price of hybrids and electric vehicles won't have dropped enough to make them suitable for leasing, in which case it is likely to be in another 5 years when I consider this.  (yes, I know that the normal Motability lease is for 3 years, but I choose to extend the lease because I find it hard to afford the extra contribution entailed in the lease).

On 07/03/2019 at 08:28, Cyclone said:

How much power do they produce then, you must be very familiar with the figures to say that.

None when the wind doesn't blow.

Angel1.

1 hour ago, Resident said:

...The technology used the most abundant element in the known galaxy & the byproduct of using it was clean water.

All we need to do is figure out how to : 

a) store hydrogen.

And b) make a fuel cell that can survive sulphur contamination.

I'm sure both are possible... 

Edited by ads36

On 07/03/2019 at 16:19, willman said:

I've got 18 months anyway before the next selection, so Skoda might have brought out something to reproduce the diesel Superb i drive.

35k miles a year though - would there be significant benefit to a hybrid i wonder.

Only if you wish to spend more money on fuel. We had the Outlander PHEV.  A total and complete waste of time and money. Despite the claims of 150mpg, the diesel varient will blind it on mpg.  The Outlander is a good model, if you go for the diesel.

Angel1.