Will you eventually buy a hybrid car?

Charging points are on the increase.  If, in 3 years, I want to part exchange my petrol

vauxhall for an all electric, then I reckon they wont want it and I'll have to pay cash.

The short answer for everyone, regardless of their opinion, is 'yes' , unless they have news that the core of the earth is made of petrol.

12 minutes ago, woodview said:

The short answer for everyone, regardless of their opinion, is 'yes' , unless they have news that the core of the earth is made of petrol.

Have we got enough lithium or whatever rare earth materials are needed to produce electric motors and their batteries to replace every internal combustion engine currently on the planet?

Genuine question.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Have we got enough lithium or whatever rare earth materials are needed to produce electric motors and their batteries to replace every internal combustion engine currently on the planet?

Genuine question.

Maybe not. But fossil fuels will run out, so in the future we aren't going to be using them. So, future cars will be hybrid of some nature - half manure, half log burners maybe, but they aint gonna be diesel or petrol.

We're not going to run out of oil.

If you're thinking of the brown liquid that gushes out of the ground when we drill in the desert, then we've got decades to go.

But we're already extracting oil from things like oil-shale, tar-sands, and kerogen. 

Which will see us going for hundreds of years, at the current rate of use.

(We're slowly reducing our use)

Which is sort of a problem, we can't rely on exhaustion of our supply to wean us off oil. There's simply too much of it.

21 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Neodymium (magnets), there's at least one problem...

It's not unreasonable to imagine a future where we're tearing down wind turbines to scavenge the magnets...

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

We're not going to run out of oil.

If you're thinking of the brown liquid that gushes out of the ground when we drill in the desert, then we've got decades to go.

But we're already extracting oil from things like oil-shale, tar-sands, and kerogen. 

Which will see us going for hundreds of years, at the current rate of use.

(We're slowly reducing our use)

Which is sort of a problem, we can't rely on exhaustion of our supply to wean us off oil. There's simply too much of it.

Neodymium (magnets), there's at least one problem...

It's not unreasonable to imagine a future where we're tearing down wind turbines to scavenge the magnets...

For what good they are, we might as well start right now.

Angel1.

13 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

For what good they are, we might as well start right now.

Angel1.

How much power do they produce then, you must be very familiar with the figures to say that.

Also available in (relative) real-time http://gridwatch.co.uk/

Currently at 30% of total demand

Edited by geared

I've got 18 months anyway before the next selection, so Skoda might have brought out something to reproduce the diesel Superb i drive.

35k miles a year though - would there be significant benefit to a hybrid i wonder.

Edited by willman

On 05/03/2019 at 14:19, Chez2 said:

When I took one of the modern hybrid cars out for a test drive four years ago it was awful. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't a cheap thing. It was so slow to start and I hated driving up hill in windy lanes, it felt like something was wrong with the engine.

I don't understand what you mean by  "it was so slow to start"....it's just a matter of pressing a button ,putting in gear,away you go..unless you were waiting for the engine to start up?? ;)

19 hours ago, willman said:

I've got 18 months anyway before the next selection, so Skoda might have brought out something to reproduce the diesel Superb i drive.

35k miles a year though - would there be significant benefit to a hybrid i wonder.

As already said, i am on my 3rd hybrid but as i am retired it is ideal for local /running about use ,smooth, silent, economic,very comfy and has every extra i need/want......i do not go far so it is perfect for me....i actually do more miles on my motorcycle thro' the summer....my last diesel was an E-Class  220 CDi Elegance,my first a 1991 Vauxhall Frontera  LWB..would i still have a diesel if i was still working..???? maybe so ..at 35k a year you would probably be better with the Skoda..a very nice motor.....think about the hybrid when you get your free bus pass......;)

Yea with those high miles you need to be in a diesel really.