Will you eventually buy a hybrid car?

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's easy enough to check the cradle to grave environmental costs for a car, just google it.

<...>

And when they are considered in the further context of the (typical) useful life of the average car, in terms of miles travelled over time, even for a full EV they -still- very much outweigh the environmental benefits of reduced ICE use over that useful life.

For the avoidance of doubt, that's not an argument against hybrids and EVs. More of an appeal both to logic over emotion about resources, and to best-maintain and use 'legacy' (already built) ICE cars for as long as viable, before switching to hybrid or EV.

We run a 21 year-old Mazda (owned 18 years, 90kmiles) and a 12 year-old Merc (owned 7 years, 109kmiles): it'd take you a long time and a lot of miles in a new hybrid (or even EV) to 'catch up' on the environmental 'credit' (as in, not requiring more resources to make and ship new cars) borne from such periods of ownership.

I've driven both hybrids (Prius, Kona) and EVs (from 106 & Clios about 23 years ago, to a Tesla S very recently, plus passenging in an I-pace), and there's a lot to like about them. But I'm in the lucky position not to have to worry about economy for the foreseeable future and, after a couple decades of 'more sensible' motoring choices, the next one is a bucket list treat.

The one after that (most probably replacing the Merc in a couple years' time) will very likely be a full EV, as the volume of 2nd handers increases in choice and quality in parallel with the charging infrastructure. There are a ton of i3s about, over here, and they're growing on me.

Edited by L00b

I'm on my 2nd Hybrid (Auris ST). I did 40K in the first one, the only thing that went wrong was a blown headlight bulb. When MOT'd @ 3years it still had 10mm left on the front brake pads.

I'm 28 months, and 28K miles into my 2nd Auris, and a similar story, just one blown bulb (foglight).

They're great, I get an average of 50mpg, can go up to 70mpg on a motorway run.

I do run it alongside a few other cars though, so an old sportscar (31 this year) for fun, and an old 4x4 (22 this year) for tip runs / bad weather / muddy fun.

We've also got a small petrol and a small diesel in the fleet, and we might change the small diesel (it's 18 this year) for a small hybrid soon.

With the coming changes to company car tax, Hybrid and pure EV sales will go up, leading to there being lots more on the market from 2022/3 onwards.

Just looking at what a lot of the taxi firms are now using, i'm already seeing a lot more hybrids. 2nd hand values for used Toyota Hybrids seem to be holding up well, and longevity also seems good.

Just now, convert said:

<...>

Just looking at what a lot of the taxi firms are now using, i'm already seeing a lot more hybrids. 2nd hand values for used Toyota Hybrids seem to be holding up well, and longevity also seems good.

Just commenting on that bit, as that is something which struck me back in late January, when I was waiting for my train outside the Gare de l'Est in Paris: without exagerating, at least 6 out of every 10 cabs in the taxi rank were Priuses.

18 hours ago, willman said:

I've hated the need some people have to buy a hybrid car as though its all green and environmentally friendly. Its like people who eat kale just because they think its cool to do so.

But as a company car driver i'm considering the procurement of one (2020) even if its just to a) stop people bleating on about diesels at me and b) save some of this money we're meant to benefit from on tax breaks etc.

So will you consider a hybrid car?

(my daughter drives a PHEV outlander and it is crap as a hybrid vehicle and going back after 1 year)

I am on my 3rd,although i did have diesel's before i retired,the first thing noticed is how quiet they are and not noisy like a farm tractor.....the Outlander has had many bad reviews from people  who have owned them

16 hours ago, Chez2 said:

I had one but its was only partially hybrid as far as I am aware. It switched between engine and batteries. I loved the car but I was worried about how low it was to the ground when visiting industrial site as the batteries would have cost a fortune to replace if I damaged them.  It was quite a few years ago when I had my Honda CRZ.

I had a Honda Civic saloon Hybrid in 2008,same  1300 engine as the Jazz and it was a smashing little car,not a "full" hybrid as it would not run on electric power alone ,it was the IMA ( Integrated Motor Assist) system,

12 hours ago, Crissie said:

I have a self-charging hybrid, it's my second one. It suits me in terms of economy, reliability and comfort. It isn't what the trade press would call 'a driver's car', but that doesn't bother me, I got all of that out of my system when I was much younger and driving could indeed be fun. I'll no doubt have another one next time I change my car.

No, it isn't a "sports" car and isn't meant to be...i will have another too...eventually

3 hours ago, Jomie said:

We’ve always chosen cars based on fuel economy. For that reason we had diesels long before they became mainstream and when derv was cheaper than petrol. It made sense  due to using the vehicle for work.

This hybrid is the smallest in the range and is approximately the same size as the diesels that I used to have. Fuel consumption is probably better with the hybrid but it’s an unfair comparison because it was a long time ago since I had diesel - I ditched it as soon as I retired because I was fed up with the noise and rattle. 

The hybrid is smooth and quiet, particularly when setting off. It encourages the driver to be more fuel aware.  We didn’t buy it for environmental reasons. It was because of reliability (we knew the brand very well) and running costs.  Perhaps there are folk who do buy them for altruistic reasons but maybe more who buy them for economy.

Agree entirely....i was fed up with the noise too,my last two diesels were both Mercedes.."C/E" Class.both bought at 6 months old, lovely cars, but very noisy engines and the "E" was too big when i retired anyway.

31 minutes ago, convert said:

I'm on my 2nd Hybrid (Auris ST). I did 40K in the first one, the only thing that went wrong was a blown headlight bulb. When MOT'd @ 3years it still had 10mm left on the front brake pads.

I'm 28 months, and 28K miles into my 2nd Auris, and a similar story, just one blown bulb (foglight).

They're great, I get an average of 50mpg, can go up to 70mpg on a motorway run.

I do run it alongside a few other cars though, so an old sportscar (31 this year) for fun, and an old 4x4 (22 this year) for tip runs / bad weather / muddy fun.

We've also got a small petrol and a small diesel in the fleet, and we might change the small diesel (it's 18 this year) for a small hybrid soon.

With the coming changes to company car tax, Hybrid and pure EV sales will go up, leading to there being lots more on the market from 2022/3 onwards.

I had a Prius for over 4 years,loved it to bits,smashing car..I now have a Lexus CT, about the same size as an Auris,never had an issue with either,and for all the potholes,humps and bumps on these dreadful roads it has never developed so much as a rattle or squeak..was three years old on 29th Dec so i bought a Lexus extended warranty....cost was  £495 for TWO years...this also include's in the price TWO years full Lexus roadside assistance..  which is 5 star AA personal cover,which means i am covered as driver /passenger in any vehicle........I also have two motorcycles which i use and the  Lexus roadside assistance covers these also....on top of this there is also TWO years free MOT's for the Lexus...thats what i call good value........

1 hour ago, L00b said:

rAnd when they are considered in the further context of the (typical) useful life of the average car, in terms of miles travelled over time, even for a full EV they -still- very much outweigh the environmental benefits of reduced ICE use over that useful life.

For the avoidance of doubt, that's not an argument against hybrids and EVs. More of an appeal both to logic over emotion about resources, and to best-maintain and use 'legacy' (already built) ICE cars for as long as viable, before switching to hybrid or EV.

We run a 21 year-old Mazda (owned 18 years, 90kmiles) and a 12 year-old Merc (owned 7 years, 109kmiles): it'd take you a long time and a lot of miles in a new hybrid (or even EV) to 'catch up' on the environmental 'credit' (as in, not requiring more resources to make and ship new cars) borne from such periods of ownership.

I've driven both hybrids (Prius, Kona) and EVs (from 106 & Clios about 23 years ago, to a Tesla S very recently, plus passenging in an I-pace), and there's a lot to like about them. But I'm in the lucky position not to have to worry about economy for the foreseeable future and, after a couple decades of 'more sensible' motoring choices, the next one is a bucket list treat.

The one after that (most probably replacing the Merc in a couple years' time) will very likely be a full EV, as the volume of 2nd handers increases in choice and quality in parallel with the charging infrastructure. There are a ton of i3s about, over here, and they're growing on me.

Is your Mazda an MX-5, Loob?

I have a 27-year old Mk1 :D

Edited by Isabelle

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Just commenting on that bit, as that is something which struck me back in late January, when I was waiting for my train outside the Gare de l'Est in Paris: without exagerating, at least 6 out of every 10 cabs in the taxi rank were Priuses.

Pretty common in other parts of the world as well to be honest.

You start to see how behind some places are when you don't see any Hybrids in the Taxi fleet.

Yes almost certainly, not because I'd think 'I want to buy a hybrid now' but because I think hybrid will become the norm eventually.

26 minutes ago, Isabelle said:

Is your Mazda an MX-5, Loob?

I have a 27-year old Mk1 :D

One of the last Mk1s (98 R). It's an original UK car (sold new by Hayselden in Doncaster at the time, when they had the Mazda dealership, and where we bought it from as 2nd owners in '01) but it's been on a mix of plates over the years since (Irish, briefly French, back to British, and now Luxembourgish). 

26 minutes ago, geared said:

Pretty common in other parts of the world as well to be honest.

You start to see how behind some places are when you don't see any Hybrids in the Taxi fleet.

I know what you mean, but it had passed me by until that time.

They have Tesla S taxis here in Luxembourg. Given the rates, I'm not surprised they can afford them! :shocked: (and I'm pretty sure the police Tesla S in full livery which I clocked on t'other side of the motorway the other week is genuine, too). Also some autonomous EV buses on live trial (small yokes, about 15-18 people capacity).

Edited by L00b

Jesus a £75,000 car as a Taxi, they must be bloody well off.

Edited by geared

When I took one of the modern hybrid cars out for a test drive four years ago it was awful. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't a cheap thing. It was so slow to start and I hated driving up hill in windy lanes, it felt like something was wrong with the engine. I expected cyclists to whizz past me. There is no way I would like to try and do pull out from a side road on to fast flowing traffic in that! My old 850 mini seemed to go faster thirty odd years ago. Most of the vehicles didn't have enough range to drive visiting customer. They were fine for people who drive only a short distance to work or who have time to sit in a service station charging up. 

No. I would consider an electric  car though if there were enough charging points.

2 hours ago, geared said:

Jesus a £75,000 car as a Taxi, they must be bloody well off.

how many tanks of diesel do we think a taxi-driver gets through a month? 10? (one tank every couple of days)

more? 

there's at least £600 on fuel. It's only £700 to lease a Tesla S.

so, they're getting a Tesla S for £100/ month. even if they're paying full price (i doubt it)

Edited by ads36