Will you eventually buy a hybrid car?

I've hated the need some people have to buy a hybrid car as though its all green and environmentally friendly. Its like people who eat kale just because they think its cool to do so.

But as a company car driver i'm considering the procurement of one (2020) even if its just to a) stop people bleating on about diesels at me and b) save some of this money we're meant to benefit from on tax breaks etc.

So will you consider a hybrid car?

(my daughter drives a PHEV outlander and it is crap as a hybrid vehicle and going back after 1 year)

Depends on my situation. Currently it's still long distances in a big van in the main so still diesel. Looking at a small petrol estate at the minute where the distances aren't as big. 

Some look very nice, but I  think there is a way to go before being accepted by the masses.

Like the OP, by late 2020 I will be looking for a new car- given the government plans to make diesel public enemy, I may be looking at an hybrid option.

I still prefer diesel and it delivers on so many accounts.

Quote Willman: 

I've hated the need some people have to buy a hybrid car as though its all green and environmentally friendly.

Why have you hated this? It seems a laudable reason. We have had hybrid cars for a few years for one reason only - fuel economy. They have delivered on that. Maybe that’s why others buy them too. Don’t know of any car that is environmentally friendly, hybrid or not.

I have solar panels on my roof, but they do not generate enough to power my car, I see that as the only reason for buying an electric car.

Clean diesels will be around for a long time yet, yet are good on fuel economy, and you can put vegetable oil in them if you want.

18 minutes ago, Jomie said:

Why have you hated this? It seems a laudable reason. We have had hybrid cars for a few years for one reason only - fuel economy. They have delivered on that. Maybe that’s why others buy them too. Don’t know of any car that is environmentally friendly, hybrid or not.

There's more to being environmentally friendly than not using fossil fuel.

1 hour ago, willman said:

(my daughter drives a PHEV outlander and it is crap as a hybrid vehicle and going back after 1 year)

Why did she pick the worst version of a hybrid? I honestly don't get the point of a plug-in hybrid, instead of a self charging one.

5 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Why did she pick the worst version of a hybrid? I honestly don't get the point of a plug-in hybrid, instead of a self charging one.

I think it ticked more boxes than any of the others of that size at that time.

33 minutes ago, willman said:

I think it ticked more boxes than any of the others of that size at that time.

What is she swapping it for? Another type of hybrid, or a regular car?

Yes, but not yet.

Petrol 3.0 V6 supercharged this time around, if it all goes according to plan.

Got to have a decent motor at least once in my life, before they stop making them for good.

When the family diesel Merc eventually dies, I'd even go full EV for a small runabout. Quite like the look of that new retro-looking Honda.

Brother's had a Prius for a couple of years now, loves it. Though he's shortly replacing his tired diesel C3 runabout with a Fiat 500 Abarth.

Edited by L00b

I had one but its was only partially hybrid as far as I am aware. It switched between engine and batteries. I loved the car but I was worried about how low it was to the ground when visiting industrial site as the batteries would have cost a fortune to replace if I damaged them.  It was quite a few years ago when I had my Honda CRZ.