Will anyone from this Forum be joining Nigel on his walk?

It's quite telling to look at the age of those amblers.  Most of them look to be 60-65, and of course it was that demographic - the 'I have nothing to lose group' - who voted overwhelmingly in favour of leaving, fuelled by Daily Mail lies  and voting to stop their children and grandchildren from enjoying the advantages they themselves enjoyed.

Has their ever been a more selfish generation than baby-boomers, not just on this but also on a range of other issues.

For the first time since Thatcher boosted home ownership by flogging off council houses cheaply, we now have a generation whose parents own their own houses but they themselves can't even afford the deposit to buy, especially in the South. 

Their parents retired at 60 and 65 on index-linked pension. They will be lucky to get a half decent pension at 65, 67 or even 70.

The phrase 'I'm all right Jack' has never been more relvant.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

For the first time since Thatcher boosted home ownership by flogging off council houses cheaply, we now have a generation whose parents own their own houses but they themselves can't even afford the deposit to buy, especially in the South. 

Their parents retired at 60 and 65 on index-linked pension. They will be lucky to get a half decent pension at 65, 67 or even 70.

Not to mention that those who started work in the 60s/70s/80s are significantly more likely to have spent most of their working life benefiting from being in a final salary pension, a financial construct that has proven so financially ruinous to companies that employers no longer offer it (except in the tax-payer funded public sector of course).

4 hours ago, horribleblob said:

Is that a Manx flag I see? As far as I'm aware, the Isle of Man is not a member of the EU and didn't take part in the 2016 referendum.

Clarity. And another £50.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=44993&headline=Fancy%20spending%20%C2%A350%20to%20have%20your%20photo%20taken%20with%20this%20man?&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

“Nigel Farage will give a talk at the Palace Hotel on February 1. He will discuss all things Brexit and promises to answer anything asked of him. It will cost £30 to hear him talk or £50 to hear him talk and have a photo taken with him.”

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_565902.html

“The man synonymous with Brexit spoke to a packed audience in Douglas on Friday night. Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage spoke during an event at the Palace Hotel. He believes despite the Isle of Man not being in the EU - Manx residents should have been able to have their say and vote in the 2016 referendum.”

Edited by horribleblob

3 hours ago, bendix said:

that employers no longer offer it (except in the tax-payer funded public sector of course).

A myth.

As someone who used to work in the public sector and still know a ton of people who still work in the sector, terms and conditions and pensions are nothing like they were twenty years ago.

3 hours ago, bendix said:

It's quite telling to look at the age of those amblers.  Most of them look to be 60-65, and of course it was that demographic - the 'I have nothing to lose group' - who voted overwhelmingly in favour of leaving, fuelled by Daily Mail lies  and voting to stop their children and grandchildren from enjoying the advantages they themselves enjoyed.

I did note that the daily mail was heaping blame on the ERG and other eurosceptic “extremists”. I’m going to need a new irony metre.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’m going to need a new irony metre.

You can't get them anymore!

I'm having to make mine out of the good bits of all the ones that have exploded like Richie Blackmore guitars. 😱

36 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A myth.

As someone who used to work in the public sector and still know a ton of people who still work in the sector, terms and conditions and pensions are nothing like they were twenty years ago.

Yes unless you're either a long standing employee or work in senior or middle management, the public sector is awful. The only joy is working in the front line with clients. T&CS & pay, & morale is awful.

22 hours ago, Mister M said:

This is the picture today of the Brexit march

D2Ao9WgWsAANgQm.jpg

In the immortal words of Battery Sergeant Major Williams:

Oh dear. How sad. But never mind :hihi:

had another chuckle at this picture, looks more like theyre waiting for a bus

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The younger generation should join a union.

Instead they join Facebook.

9 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The younger generation should join a union.

Instead they join Facebook.

Let's not forget that if it wasn't for facebook, you probably wouldn't have got your glorious Brexit vote.

Back on topic please. We already have a Brexit thread.