Anyone been to Rhodes recently? is it still nice?

Looking to go to Greece for a low cost holiday,  we usually got to Parga as it has everything we want but thinking we should try somewhere different. I've been told Rhodes is nice by people who have been but not for years!  Not got kids and don't want to spend the week sat on a beach so looking for a place that has stuff to see and do. The old town is supposed to be interesting so probably stay around there if we go.   I've also been told it's expensive...

We would like somewhere with a nice harbour where you can sit and watch the world go by,  reasonably priced food,  not bothered about shopping or owt.   Might rent a car  if the rest of the island has stuff to see.  

Anyone been?  Do you recommend it?  what do you like about the place?

Personal favourite that will do (roughly) what you ask for, and then some. Thessaloniki, truly a hidden gem, despite being the second city of Greece - stay in an AirBnB in the city (excellent one on Mitropeleos) for a couple of nights, then rent a car and head out towards Halkidiki or the mountains (Metsovo is gorgeous!), whatever tickles your fancy, it is all within a few hours of the city.

Do a bit of a Google search to see if it matches what you might want, I think you'll find it does!

Is Rhodes still nice? You must know they're two different countries .

Couldn't resist, sorry 😁😉

We went to Pefkos last Summer. It's quite a nice place but we couldn't believe how expensive it was to eat out, it's probably on par with eating out here. we were spending around 150 euros per day self catering.

Edited by AMR67

Rhodes is a great island to visit there is so much to see and do, I have been 8 times and love the place, last time I was there it was 2015 we stayed on the outskirts of Faliraki. Rhodes Town is fantastic all the history with lots to see and do, it can be expensive depending where you go for a meal or drink. I think it was 2006 we sat in one of the bars (see link), sat downstairs rather than a roof terrace and it was 11Euros for a large and a normal beer. Last time we were there, there were plenty of bars and tavernas where the price of meals and beers were around the same as in Faliraki. I like to stay in a village called Afandou, about a 15 minute walk to the beach, it is a traditional working village with quite a few bars and restaurants.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=a6rmdTRO&id=2DABE5170574768E4A4A178C56828ADCB3BB33F3&thid=OIP.a6rmdTRO3Ss1dsuN11HvNQHaEo&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.europetravel.gr%2Fv2%2FImages%2FExcursions%2FRHODES_BY_NIGHT%2FRHODES-TOWN-BY-NIGHT-2-1.jpg&exph=401&expw=640&q=rhodes+town&simid=607996393851588008&selectedindex=9&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

Edited by iansheff

We will be visiting Rhodes in September and the reviews suggest there are good hotels all around the island. Although this bodes well for our stay it does not help us decide where to base ourselves. We have narrowed our choice to Rhodes Town, Kalithea and Lindos, but are open to other suggestions - What would you recommend, where are your favourite places?

Rhodes is nowhere near as expensive as Parga, personally I prefer Cyprus with Santorini coming a close second.

On 23/04/2019 at 11:16, iansheff said:

Rhodes is a great island to visit there is so much to see and do, I have been 8 times and love the place, last time I was there it was 2015 we stayed on the outskirts of Faliraki. Rhodes Town is fantastic all the history with lots to see and do, it can be expensive depending where you go for a meal or drink. I think it was 2006 we sat in one of the bars (see link), sat downstairs rather than a roof terrace and it was 11Euros for a large and a normal beer. Last time we were there, there were plenty of bars and tavernas where the price of meals and beers were around the same as in Faliraki. I like to stay in a village called Afandou, about a 15 minute walk to the beach, it is a traditional working village with quite a few bars and restaurants.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=a6rmdTRO&id=2DABE5170574768E4A4A178C56828ADCB3BB33F3&thid=OIP.a6rmdTRO3Ss1dsuN11HvNQHaEo&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.europetravel.gr%2Fv2%2FImages%2FExcursions%2FRHODES_BY_NIGHT%2FRHODES-TOWN-BY-NIGHT-2-1.jpg&exph=401&expw=640&q=rhodes+town&simid=607996393851588008&selectedindex=9&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

if thats the price of beer i wont be going to Rhodes, 11euros for a beer in 2006 that is a WOW. 

6 hours ago, kidley said:

if thats the price of beer i wont be going to Rhodes, 11euros for a beer in 2006 that is a WOW. 

That was two beers and was in the main tourist area in the old town where the fountain is and a lot of roof top tavernas so they get away with premium prices I suppose. Lots of small bars in the side streets where beer is more reasonably priced. I looked at the website for one of the bars I use when in Afandou the other day and most beers were 3€ for 500ml.    

On 31/05/2020 at 22:32, old_noob said:

We will be visiting Rhodes in September and the reviews suggest there are good hotels all around the island. Although this bodes well for our stay it does not help us decide where to base ourselves. We have narrowed our choice to Rhodes Town, Kalithea and Lindos, but are open to other suggestions - What would you recommend, where are your favourite places?

I would recommend hiring a car if you drive, there are some great places to visit, there are some really good views from the various castles on the island.

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

That was two beers and was in the main tourist area in the old town where the fountain is and a lot of roof top tavernas so they get away with premium prices I suppose. Lots of small bars in the side streets where beer is more reasonably priced. I looked at the website for one of the bars I use when in Afandou the other day and most beers were 3€ for 500ml.    

kidley said

Thanks for the clarification iansheff, i thought it was a typo  

Edited by kidley