Sign in to follow this  

Grand Tour - RV special

Minor spoiler alert!!!

Having watched the Grand Tour RV special there were numerous references to a person in American racing kit who during the end credits set of a burning ring of fire.  Am I missing something obvious here but what was that all about?  Is it a reference to a film or just some kind of in joke thats gone right over my head?

I have led a sheltered life it seems,  Grand Tour RV has gone over my head.

Angel1.

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

Minor spoiler alert!!!

Having watched the Grand Tour RV special there were numerous references to a person in American racing kit who during the end credits set of a burning ring of fire.  Am I missing something obvious here but what was that all about?  Is it a reference to a film or just some kind of in joke thats gone right over my head?

I believe the person you are referring to was known simply as The American, in season 1 and maybe season 2, 

he was the test driver that went round the ebola drome in a simular way to the way the stig did it on top gear abbie eaton now does the ebola drome track

why he was in that special i dont know.

I thought it was the ghost of Evel Knievel.

Just another of Clarkson and Willman's in-jokes that falls flat.

4 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have led a sheltered life it seems,  Grand Tour RV has gone over my head.

Angel1.

Amazons FAR better version of what is now a dire Top Gear

Thanks for your replies, I had forgotten about The American, sadly now reminded :(

On 04/03/2019 at 10:06, alchresearch said:

I thought it was the ghost of Evel Knievel.

Just another of Clarkson and Willman's in-jokes that falls flat.

On 04/03/2019 at 07:57, alchemist said:

Minor spoiler alert!!!

It was definitely their outfit for The American. Wouldn't have realised that without this thread though

I don't think they were referencing a specific movie as such (although my knowledge of horror movies is rubbish so could be wrong) but more that they were playing on the horror theme of people on road/camping trips through a remote wilderness being followed by psychos like in Duel or The Hitcher.