Tumble Drier problems

Hello, I hope someone can help! 

I bought a tumble drier in October 2017, so it is only just over a year old, and out of guarantee.  

We placed it in the garage, which is unheated. 

The first winter it worked fine, but it went wrong just before Christmas and , it only works for about 5 minutes then cuts off.  The indicator says that the water container is full (it isn't).  I've also cleaned the condenser and the filters.  

When I looked through the instruction book a couple of months ago, it said that the drier shouldn't be placed in areas of extreme cold or heat, but of course I had already bought it then, and in fact used it for the whole of last winter.  

I havent got anywhere else to put it.  I don't want to call anyone out and pay a call out charge if the same problem will occur, or if it can't be fixed.

Its a Zanussi and cost me £299, so I feel a bit angry and cheated.  Bear in mind it's a condenser type, not one with a pipe which goes out the window.  

Any experts on on here who can advise?  I can't even sell it in its present state, as I'm not sure if it will work or not in normal temperatures. 

Thank you.  

Hi Monkey Lover,

Where did you buy it?  Wholesale Online or Retailers? Second Hand?

You say it's just out of warranty, sometimes many retailers have a repair route, as things fail just out of warranty (in the form of extended warranty) but you have to comply with their terms and conditions. (This might mean payments)

I see two or three options:

1. Claiming under Sale of Goods Act....tricky as...however you used it in Garage. contra to instructions.

2. Buy An extended Warranty?

3. Bite the Bullet, Pay for Repairs or Scrap it.

Manufacturers have little or no interest if bought via retailers then it's retailers responsibilities via  sale of Goods, but the onus is on you/retailer, 

Here it must be of merchantable quality....i.e. And Work.

Edited by DeZeus
Spelling

If there is a float cut off switch on the drier where you take the container out I would check that is operating.

What do they consider extreme cold though??

Even in an un-heated garage it has to get well into the minus figures for water inside there to freeze and with the mild winter we've had recently I'd bet it's never dropped below freezing inside the garage.

A lot of household goods can't be used in the garage. The are going to get damp and possible rust. I know we had to look at this in detail when we wanted to buy a freezer to put in the garage. Very few are okay for this. 

Can't you bring the tumble dryer in to the kitchen and say you have had it there? 

I don't understand what DeZeus is getting at. After a certain time frame you have to prove the manufacturer is at fault. Perhaps they can add a link to the regs for you? 

Ingot a chest freezer from Aldi it says it’s fine for the garage,same model can be got at Curry’s but about £15 more.

As Wallace says could be gunk in the float switch.

Have search on YouTube often tutorials,it's a 15 min or so job

Thank you all.  I've wrote to The retailer, got nowhere with them.  Wrote to the manufacturer, still waiting to hear back. 

Im pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the temperature, as I don't think it's been cold enough.  I tried it in the recent warm weather, and it still won't work.  

Ive no room in the house for it.  

Ill try the float switch, thank you.  If that doesn't work, looks like I'll have to try and sell it.  Might move it into living room for testing.  

Also as a matter of just to be sure I would clean any dust filters etc,good luck.

1 hour ago, MonkeyLover said:

Thank you all.  I've wrote to The retailer, got nowhere with them.  Wrote to the manufacturer, still waiting to hear back. 

Im pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the temperature, as I don't think it's been cold enough.  I tried it in the recent warm weather, and it still won't work.  

Ive no room in the house for it.  

Ill try the float switch, thank you.  If that doesn't work, looks like I'll have to try and sell it.  Might move it into living room for testing.  

Its a bit more realistic to put it in the kitchen or hallway, even if its in the way. Your contract is will the retailer not the manufacturer. I have that problem with the tumble dryers that set on fire. I had to get consumer protection to help out with the regs. I told them as much as I knew but once I told them I had received clarification from consumer protection we came to a solution. 

9 hours ago, MonkeyLover said:

Im pretty sure it's got nothing to do with the temperature, as I don't think it's been cold enough. 

Nothing to do with it.

I have a Bosch washing machine and a condenser drier in my back porch which is outside my double glazed kitchen door which means that they are at the same temperature as the outside world in winter and neither of them have given me any trouble in 10 years for the drier and 12 years for the washing machine.