New Ventures in Hillsborough

15 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

When a charity shop receives an expensive item as a donation, its a bit of an insult to sell it for next to nothing.   For instance, a named leather handbag comes in with a price tag label still attached £180.  What do you suggest would be a fair selling price?   I bet that hoodie wasn't an H&M, it was probably Superdry or similar.  I was in that shop today, there was a sign (if I'm not mistaken) 3 DVDs for £1.

St Lukes often have lots of items for £1, but you can bet their best stuff goes to their other shops and is priced much more realistically.  Some people like buying good quality or designer goods, and by checking out the charity shops they can afford them. 

Sorry, but £2 for a paperback in the Heart Foundation shop is nothing but a rip off, especially when you look at the prices in most of the other charity shops in Hillsborough (with the exception of the Mind shop, who are almost as bad).

Another new bar is opening in Hillsborough, hopefully at the end of April, in what used to be the old off licence just down from Specsavers, going to be a gin, rum and craft ale seller. Love how these little places are popping a lot now, licensee used to work for the Hillsborough Hotel so knows the trade, here's hoping for another successful business for the area...

The Pets and Gardens former pet shop opposite B&M has a planning application in to turn it into a micropub too.

On 02/03/2019 at 22:55, Ms Macbeth said:

When a charity shop receives an expensive item as a donation, its a bit of an insult to sell it for next to nothing.   For instance, a named leather handbag comes in with a price tag label still attached £180.  What do you suggest would be a fair selling price?   I bet that hoodie wasn't an H&M, it was probably Superdry or similar.  I was in that shop today, there was a sign (if I'm not mistaken) 3 DVDs for £1.

St Lukes often have lots of items for £1, but you can bet their best stuff goes to their other shops and is priced much more realistically.  Some people like buying good quality or designer goods, and by checking out the charity shops they can afford them. 

BHF are terribly expensive though. I buy a lot of books and CDs and they're almost all £2 in there, whereas there are still charity shops where you can get 3 for £1 or even 3 for 50p! I don't call £2 for a bog standard paperback realistic pricing, I'm afraid.

37 minutes ago, metalman said:

BHF are terribly expensive though. I buy a lot of books and CDs and they're almost all £2 in there, whereas there are still charity shops where you can get 3 for £1 or even 3 for 50p! I don't call £2 for a bog standard paperback realistic pricing, I'm afraid.

Slightly off topic but got to agree with you . BHF in Crystal Peaks want top dollar for sticks of furniture I wouldn't let my neighbours see me take to the tip . Its run more like a business than a charity .

On 11/04/2019 at 21:21, metalman said:

People will shop where they choose.  Some want to support a specific charity, others just look at prices.  Paperbacks in BHF are in good, clean condition and pretty new. However I sometimes buy books elsewhere if I see one I want. CDS are sometimes 3 for £1 depends on what they are. 

On 01/03/2019 at 17:03, Edward Vimto said:

It's going to be another estate agents ....

Shame ... it would have been a good location for a pub.

Not 'another' estate agents, just a current one re-locating from across the road - Morfitt Smith.

There appears to be a new shop opening in what was the ShoeShop.

Name already in place. The Works.  Selling Arts and Craft stuff Toys and Games Books etc

They already have a shop in Meadowhall.

Makes a change from charity shops, hairdressers, nail bars estate agents etc.

Edited by bazjea

Looks like the Shoppers Rest across from what will be The Works has closed. That's  been there ever since I was a little kid....

On 03/03/2019 at 14:50, metalman said:

Sorry, but £2 for a paperback in the Heart Foundation shop is nothing but a rip off, especially when you look at the prices in most of the other charity shops in Hillsborough (with the exception of the Mind shop, who are almost as bad).

On the plus side at least 90p of that will probably make its way to a good cause.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:50, metalman said:

I do hope you're trolling and not being serious. Charity shops are not like normal shops, with your purchase you're making a charitable donation, that's kind of the whole point.

1 hour ago, mickey finn said:

On the plus side at least 90p of that will probably make its way to a good cause.

Exactly.

Guest makapaka

People calling charity shops “rip offs” make me sad.

clues in title donuts.