MP's to get inflation breaking pay rise.

12 hours ago, ez8004 said:

All your backwards thinking is holding this country back.

Getting a pay rise is not abnormal.  It is something that is expected.  Your continual thinking that it is somehow a luxury is just plain wrong.  You get what you expect.  If you don't expect it, then you'll simply never get it.

Many people expect a pay rise... most don't get one.  Hard times , Austerity, Brexit are the usual excuses.  After the utter mess they've made of Brexit they don't deserve a penny extra !

What's the usual argument?  We need to pay MPs high salaries to ensure that we attract the highest possible calibre of person to the job. 

Looks like we really need to fork out a  great deal more then, based on the current lot we've got?

People forget being an MP is actually a part-time job which supposedly leaves them time to do other paid employment like sit on the boards  of directors, take on public speaking engagements, adopt various advosory roles etc.

And then there's the lavish expenses system, which far from being quelled after the expenses scandal, is still very lucrative, although you won't hear much about it these days. . .

On 01/03/2019 at 13:17, Anna B said:

People forget being an MP is actually a part-time job which supposedly leaves them time to do other paid employment like sit on the boards  of directors, take on public speaking engagements, adopt various advosory roles etc.

And then there's the lavish expenses system, which far from being quelled after the expenses scandal, is still very lucrative, although you won't hear much about it these days. . .

Have to disagree, sorry.  It is absoloutly a full time job, if done correctly.

Re their expenses, I agree 100%.  I believe it is still going on. Looking into the expenses of one of the famous 11 who have jumped ship before they were de-selected, their nose is well into the trough of plenty.

Angel1.

I agree it should be a full time job, and that some MPs treat it as such, working hard on behalf of their constituent. 

But others spend more time in outside jobs, and many more are feathering their own nest setting up lucrative contacts with an eye to future employment etc. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/may/27/mps-declare-income-other-jobs

Like DA with her work on This Week? 

38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree it should be a full time job, and that some MPs treat it as such, working hard on behalf of their constituent. 

But others spend more time in outside jobs, and many more are feathering their own nest setting up lucrative contacts with an eye to future employment etc. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/may/27/mps-declare-income-other-jobs

But Anna, those outside jobs give MPs a taste of the real world, helping them understand what life is like for others. Thereby enhancing their knowledge, and in the process they will become better MPs. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Have to disagree, sorry.  It is absoloutly a full time job, if done correctly.

Re their expenses, I agree 100%.  I believe it is still going on. Looking into the expenses of one of the famous 11 who have jumped ship before they were de-selected, their nose is well into the trough of plenty.

Angel1.

My Bold

Thats the key point, if done correctly.  TBH Im hard pressed to think of anyone who fits that criteria

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

But Anna, those outside jobs give MPs a taste of the real world, helping them understand what life is like for others. Thereby enhancing their knowledge, and in the process they will become better MPs. :thumbsup:

Yep, I understand that jobs like zero hours cleaners and shop workers, refuse collectors and delivery drivers are FULL of MP's moonlighting to see the REAL world

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Yeah, right. . . 

The day an MP takes on a regular shift in the NHS, or does a day in a comprehensive classroom, I'll put the flags out. It would do them the world of good.

Seriously though, I think all MPs should have to do a period each year in a normal job, (a month or 6 weeks, say,) particularly in public service jobs like social services or the police force, then they really would enhance their knowledge of what life is like for ordinary citizens, and they just might become better MPs.  

And yes Alchemist, they should have to do these jobs too.

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yeah, right. . . 

The day an MP takes on a regular shift in the NHS, or does a day in a comprehensive classroom, I'll put the flags out. It would do them the world of good.

Seriously though, I think all MPs should have to do a period each year in a normal job, (a month or 6 weeks, say,) particularly in public service jobs like social services or the police force, then they really would enhance their knowledge of what life is like for ordinary citizens, and they just might become better MPs.  

And yes Alchemist, they should have to do these jobs too.

Get your flag out Anna

Conservative MP Maria Caulfield works bank shifts as a nurse doing at least one 12 hour shift a month

Labour MP Karen Lee is also a bank nurse doing shifts when possible. 

Conservative MP Dan Poulter has declared that he works around 50 hours plus a month as a doctor 

Labour MP Paul Williams has declared that he is a part time GP.

There are others too who have declared these roles (Philip Lee for instance)

One of the more diverse jobs that MPs have as a second position is Douglas Ross. He's a linesman in the Scottish football leagues. 

Edited by sheffbag

33 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Get your flag out Anna

Conservative MP Maria Caulfield works bank shifts as a nurse doing at least one 12 hour shift a month

Labour MP Karen Lee is also a bank nurse doing shifts when possible. 

Conservative MP Dan Poulter has declared that he works around 50 hours plus a month as a doctor 

Labour MP Paul Williams has declared that he is a part time GP.

There are others too who have declared these roles (Philip Lee for instance)

One of the more diverse jobs that MPs have as a second position is Douglas Ross. He's a linesman in the Scottish football leagues. 

Excellent! So pleased to hear it.

Now we have to get them all to do it.

Did we just agree on something ?  dont tell anyone