MP's to get inflation breaking pay rise.

Just reading that our MPs are to get a 2.7% (£2000) pay rise on April 1st, a very appropriate date as they are taking the people for fools. All in it together my A**e, as Jim Royal aka Ricky Tomlinson would say.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-mps-inflation-busting-pay-14067538

Edited by iansheff

2.7% isn't massive to be fair, but a pay cut would be more appropriate with their handling of the Brexit fiasco.

42 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

2.7% isn't massive to be fair, but a pay cut would be more appropriate with their handling of the Brexit fiasco.

C'mon now, "they work hard for the money"  Oops! sorry,  wrong thread.☺️

49 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Nah not much is it?  2,7% on top of their current basic of £77,379.  Takes them up to £79,468.23.  I make that a minimum of £51,733,668 per annum. 

Grandson who works for the Home Office in Sheffield got around 1% I believe this year, up from the 0.9% he & his colleagues have received for the past 5 or 6 years. His raise doesn't cover his yearly bus fares to work. 

Then again when you look at the quality of the members of the HoC, (who shouted  Jared O'Mara; Fiona Onasanya? Shame on you), they're probably worth it? 

Wonder what the daily allowance for the House of Lords is going up to? 

Edited by Baron99

All your backwards thinking is holding this country back.

Getting a pay rise is not abnormal.  It is something that is expected.  Your continual thinking that it is somehow a luxury is just plain wrong.  You get what you expect.  If you don't expect it, then you'll simply never get it.

I hold this doesn't get asked on QT tonight, I suspect it will. It'll waste 15 minutes of the show.

26 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

All your backwards thinking is holding this country back.

Getting a pay rise is not abnormal.  It is something that is expected.  Your continual thinking that it is somehow a luxury is just plain wrong.  You get what you expect.  If you don't expect it, then you'll simply never get it.

I generally support our MPs because they get a lot of undeserved criticism, but I am struggling to support them now.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

2.7% is not massive if your wage is 12k - 15k a year it's about £3 a week for 12k I think. But if your wage is £77,379. a year, then it is,  Takes them up to £79,468.23.  Or around £40 a week rise.

Just as an aside, they should be taking brass off them for the debacle that they have made of Brexit.

Angel1.

I have to say that I am frustrated that we cannot seem to get MP pay rises right: if MPs decide their own payrises, they give themselves too much, if we appoint an independent body to decide their pay rises and it gives them too much, what do we do? 

MP salaries are now supposed to be linked to public sector pay awards, but MPs don't have performance related pay OR fickle managers who can give their mates 3% while awarding those who are out of favour 1%. I would suggest that everyone writes to the Independent Parliamentary Standard Authority to express our frustration with their approach to MP pay awards, because they don't seem to realise that the public cares about their decisions, and wants them to make sure our MPs are delivering value for money.  

Value for money, some of the Parliamentarians are not worth 5 brass washers and two ballons for a wage.

Angel1. 

The speaker will intervene on this and it WILL be stopped

Edited by barry-333
mistake

Well the poor little darlings work SOOO hard dont they?  Turn up after their expenses paid subsidised 3 course lunch, sit around shouting and bawling at each other all afternoon, do the occasional vote if they can be bothered then leave for their subsidised dinner and a cheap booze up in the parliament bar.  Hard life isnt it??