Is Comic Relief racist?

On 03/03/2019 at 19:53, danot said:

Just giving my two penneth. 

People in my position are caught in the middle, with obscene wealth on one side, and object poverty on the other side. Object poverty and obscene wealth will always coexist, after all, object poverty facilitates obscene wealth, and you can't eradicate object poverty without obscene wealth succumbing to it.  There's only two options- either both extremes continue to coexist, or neither exist. What d'ya do?

A typically narrow and reductive point of view. There are of course other options.

14 minutes ago, Halibut said:

A typically narrow and reductive point of view. There are of course other options.

Which would be?

4 minutes ago, danot said:

Which would be?

Have a good hard think.

1 minute ago, Halibut said:

Have a good hard think.

Already did prior to typing the post you've just quoted. Sorry, I'm at a loss. 

Educate me.

If you start bickering I will suspend all accounts indulging in such. 

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Well the white saviour peddling, televised celebrity exposure charity that has led to the stereotyping of Africa as a disease-ridden poverty zone has raised less money this year than last.

Wealthy white celebrities flying in and picking up black kids for photo opportunities is surely well past its sell by date? 1985?

Or silly comments by certain MPs put people off donating, for fear of being "racist".

7 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Or silly comments by certain MPs put people off donating, for fear of being "racist".

You don't need those inverted commas around the word racist. It's an actual thing you know.

15 hours ago, danot said:

Which would be?

A happy medium? 

Why is abject poverty and obscene wealth side by side considered acceptable, or the norm? 

People can still be very rich and the poor have enough for a reasonably comfortable life if it was all shared out a bit more equitably.  I think it's the extremes that we have today that people find unacceptable.

Edited by Anna B

Good old Ed Sheeran, speaking up for the homeless on Comic Relief.

Shame he installed  gates to deter rough sleepers outside his London home last year.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

A happy medium? 

Why is abject poverty and obscene wealth side by side considered acceptable, or the norm? 

People can still be very rich and the poor have enough for a reasonably comfortable life if it was all shared out a bit more equitably.  I think it's the extremes that we have today that people find unacceptable.

Agreed.   Having a pot for this and pot for that isn't helpful either. There's plenty of money in the world, it's just not being distributed in accordance with priority.

There'd be enough for everybody if nobody took too much, but they do, and that's why I firmly believe that poverty and famine can't be eradicated without compromising the wealthy, which leaves only two options for future generations- Either they leave things the way they are allowing both extremes to continue to coexist to accommodate the wealthy, or ensure that neither exists. 

Edited by danot

15 hours ago, Halibut said:

You don't need those inverted commas around the word racist. It's an actual thing you know.

Racism is an actual thing. Being white and helping black people in Africa isn't racist though, apart from in the eyes of a certain MP of course. Hence the speech marks. And hence the whole reason for this thread existing. 

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Why is it a joke? He should personally make up the shortfall.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

A happy medium? 

If you averaged out the world's wealth per person, almost everyone in the UK would come out poorer.

Edited by WiseOwl182