Is Comic Relief racist?

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Its not charity that is racist. Its how the fundraising is presented to the public.

Such as using a wealthy white middle class celebrity, filmed and photographed in a developing African state with desperately poor black children, as is used regularly by the wealthy white upper middle class management at the out of touch BBC.

It sells the racist idea that the only way out of poverty for black people is for a white saviour to take pity on them, while giving the celebs career a boost through the publicity.

Rubbish.

And since I'm white, I feel so guilty about being a "saviour" and seeing Africans as "victims" that my donation will be precisely zero this year. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Maybe it's time for all the racist white saviours to stop donating their time and money to Africa and let the black saviours step into the breach; let's see how that goes. That would include all the legal aid we send them, most of which is paid for by white taxpayers.

David Lammy has form for speaking out whilst not engaging his brain . He was the Prat that called the BBC racist when they reported on  the Black or White smoke in the  election of a new pope

sadly David lammy is the idiot thats missing his village and as for comic relieft prehaps if they concentrated a little more on our own country and the kids that need help here in homes, hospitals etc etc they might get a little more from me.

No White Saviors .

Take the 'white ' out of it and its not so catchy is it . But it would be more accurate.

Lenny Henry has done his share of photo shoots. 

However, anyone who has been into a charity shop and had to deal with some of the people of a certain age who have time on their hands will know what critics are on about.

A large percentage of them are doing it to feel superior and their obvious (to them) moral superiority is impossible to miss. In fact some are not satisfied unless you know, without a shadow of a doupt, what good people thay are.

People are helped and suffering is alleviated. 

Not all charity shop workers are doing it in such an obvious way. But they are doing it to help others and that does give them a good feeling.

31 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

No White Saviors .

Take the 'white ' out of it and its not so catchy is it . But it would be more accurate.

Lenny Henry has done his share of photo shoots. 

However, anyone who has been into a charity shop and had to deal with some of the people of a certain age who have time on their hands will know what critics are on about.

A large percentage of them are doing it to feel superior and their obvious (to them) moral superiority is impossible to miss. In fact some are not satisfied unless you know, without a shadow of a doupt, what good people thay are.

People are helped and suffering is alleviated. 

Not all charity shop workers are doing it in such an obvious way. But they are doing it to help others and that does give them a good feeling.

You really have been hurt by a charity shop worker in the past, haven't you? How people deal with you wherever you go says more about you and your attitude than it does about them. If you feel that people are displaying moral superiority then it is more likely that you have inferiority issues.

It will be interesting to see how much its affected Stacey Dooley and she will continue the work long after Comic Relief has finished this year, or whether its just a one off photo-op.

Its really all about making Comic Relief  watchable.  If it was an unknown relief worker doing a piece for the show, it wouldn't raise much interest.  But if its a celeb like Ed Sheeran, that will pull in his fans to watch.

9 minutes ago, max said:

You really have been hurt by a charity shop worker in the past, haven't you? How people deal with you wherever you go says more about you and your attitude than it does about them. If you feel that people are displaying moral superiority then it is more likely that you have inferiority issues.

I haven't been hurt by a charity worker. So a person is mainly responsible for the way they are treated, talk about victim blaming.  Likely to have inferiority issues, that make a refreshing change. Ever thought about  addressing the issue instead of personal psychology on very little evidence ? or was it trolling.

Its the whole noblesse oblige/charity thing that gets me.

Stacey Dooley has made documentaries  all over the World for several years for BBC3.   More people know about her now after she won the dancing program.  It makes sense to ask Stacey Dooley to  be part of a BBC program that raises funds for overseas charities.  

I don't think what Lammy said was particularly controversial really.

Prince Harry and William have done a lot of charitable work In Africa, so does that make them racists?  Surely having a famous face is a bonus to help raise awareness of what the charity is trying to do, and encourage the public to donate.

When he says white people are portrayed as saviours that’s what they are, raising funds for the charity. Even if they are a black celebs fund raising, they are all saviours.

Don’t know much about this MP, could be he is trying to make a name for himself, or was he a bit annoyed that Stacey won strictly like me.  I wonder what the charities think of his comments?   

25 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I don't think what Lammy said was particularly controversial really.

quelle surprise énorme