Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

On 22/08/2019 at 16:39, GleadlessLad said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation in your post (#132) Andy.

With regard to your point I've quoted above re. the evening tram replacement buses though, this sounds rather like a "chicken & egg" situation?  i.e. a significantly reduced level of service is provided, which people then don't use due to the inconvenience caused, with the lack of usage then being used as justification for the significant reduction in service level?

My experience has been that, due to the 30 minute bus frequency, my evening journeys between Gleadless & Hillsborough - including stops at locations between Shalesmoor & Hillsborough e.g. Tesco on Infirmary Rd - were taking a ridiculous amount of additional time.  In the end I got so fed up with it that I ended up using my car instead, which meant that, in addition to paying £50 per month to Supertram for my Tram Only Megarider Extra, I also had to spend money on petrol in order to make the journeys which I normally make by tram.  This was bad for the environment too.

Possibly you are right, however Supertram previously provided replacement buses every 10 minutes to Hillsborough to match the trams and they weren't very well used. It costs thousands of pounds to lay on such bus services which is on top of normal operating costs and the tram only Megarider is quite cheap!

The service that First bus operates on the City-Hillsborough-Malin Bridge corridor is half hourly evenings and Sundays (81 running hourly and 82 running hourly) whilst the evening service on both the 57 and 86 runs once an hour and requires subsidy. The 7/8 on Penistone Road also each runs hourly.

This suggests to me limited demand and the service is matching the demand.

If travelling to Hillsborough, you may have found a better service changing from tram onto the 52 bus at Cathedral, which runs to Hillborough regularly evenings and Sundays and was accepting tram tickets alongside the dedicated replacement buses.

Anyway, come next week the 2019 rail replacement works will be completed and normal tram service will resume.

2 hours ago, Andy C said:

If travelling to Hillsborough, you may have found a better service changing from tram onto the 52 bus at Cathedral, which runs to Hillborough regularly evenings and Sundays and was accepting tram tickets alongside the dedicated replacement buses.

Thanks Andy - I did try the Stagecoach bus 52 between Cathedral & Hillsborough on a number of occasions, but as the driver refused to accept my tram ticket on about 50% of those occasions, meaning that I had to pay again for a service which I'd already paid for, I gave up!

Edited by GleadlessLad

current service until Friday 30th August

- TT (Rotherham Parkgate-Sheffield Cathedral) - normal service

- YELLOW (Meadowhall-City-Middlewood) - running Meadowhall to Cathedral to a revised timetable. Alternative buses available to Middlewood (see below)

- BLUE (Halfway-City-Malin Bridge) - running Halfway to Cathedral to a revised timetable. Alternative buses available to Malin Bridge (see below)

- PURPLE (Herdings Park-City) - running Herdings Park to Cathedral to a revised timetable.

- BUS SL1 (Stocksbridge-Middlewood) - extended to Shalesmoor and Fitzalan Square to replace trams Middlewood-City. Revised timetable.

- BUS BL5 (Malin Bridge-City) - runs via Hillsborough, Shalesmoor and West Street to replace trams

OTHER STAGECOACH BUSES: routes 52, 57, 86, 120 also provide alternative services towards University/Hillsborough whilst the tram lines are closed for rail replacement work.

FULL NETWORK REOPENS AND NORMAL TIMETABLES RESUME FROM SATURDAY 31ST AUGUST

All the information can be found at www.supertram.com, timetables also available in the journey planner on the Stagecoach bus app.

Edited by Andy C

So is it all back to normal tomorrow?

17 hours ago, taxman said:

So is it all back to normal tomorrow?

as advertised, Friday 30th August was the last day of 2019 rail replacement works and a normal service has resumed today, Saturday 31st August, on all routes.