Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

Is anyone aware of work to Area 4 (Holme Lane) starting early? Everywhere online, on the posters at tram stops and on Twitter still say they start next weekend yet I've been woken up the last two mornings at 2am and 3am by road works on Holme Lane. I'm assuming that it's track work that's being carried out as there's no sign of any road works the next morning. I'm guessing that they are going to do the whole road at night as closing it during the day would be an utter nightmare. I could just do with knowing when they are going to be working at night so that I can make other arrangements. I have a hearing disability (hyperacusis) that makes noise painful, especially when tired (I'm already exhausted from two nights disturbed sleep. I'm not sure how I'm going to cope for two weeks)! According to the FAQ on the Transport Executive's website VolkerRail have/will write to any resident directly affected to let them know  details of nigh time work - I'm not holding my breath on getting such a letter - presumably if they did send any they've assumed that only residents on Holme Lane are "directly affected". I know it's unreasonable to expect them to canvas the whole area but I just want to know when  I can sleep again and not wake up in pain.

10 minutes ago, Shelob said:

Is anyone aware of work to Area 4 (Holme Lane) starting early? Everywhere online, on the posters at tram stops and on Twitter still say they start next weekend yet I've been woken up the last two mornings at 2am and 3am by road works on Holme Lane. I'm assuming that it's track work that's being carried out as there's no sign of any road works the next morning. I'm guessing that they are going to do the whole road at night as closing it during the day would be an utter nightmare. I could just do with knowing when they are going to be working at night so that I can make other arrangements. I have a hearing disability (hyperacusis) that makes noise painful, especially when tired (I'm already exhausted from two nights disturbed sleep. I'm not sure how I'm going to cope for two weeks)! According to the FAQ on the Transport Executive's website VolkerRail have/will write to any resident directly affected to let them know  details of nigh time work - I'm not holding my breath on getting such a letter - presumably if they did send any they've assumed that only residents on Holme Lane are "directly affected". I know it's unreasonable to expect them to canvas the whole area but I just want to know when  I can sleep again and not wake up in pain.

The works have not started early. Amey have been doing road resurfacing outside the Costa area of Hillsborough for a few nights but that was it. Unless they are having to make sure the tracks are safe to use as per Andy C's post above yours. Tramlines starts today.

That's good to know at least, thanks. Aye, I've heard trams running since then so they was probably just testing or cleaning the tracks or something. It definitely wasn't the works at Costa that I heard as it's the other end of Holme Road - the ends of Ball and Wood Road were closed off from Taplin this morning but reopened sometime around 4.30am.

There was new tarmac down at the bottom of Ripley street the other day (after the night closure that was badly signposted for the diversion).

The tram rail replacement works actually finished earlier on this week, there have been some safety checks, maintenance on points, cleaning grooves out etc but that has been in the daytime. As mentioned Amey have been doing some road resurfacing works  in the area a few nights earlier in the week whilst the tramway was still shut.

TRAM SERVICE THIS WEEKEND (FRI/SAT/SUN)

The full network is open. A normal timetable will run in the daytime. Evening service sees some changes on the Blue route and Purple route to cater for people returning into town from Tramlines festival.

TRAM SERVICE NEXT WEEK (MON 22ND TO FRI 26TH JULY)

Area 3 works in the Shalesmoor area. Trams will terminate at Cathedral. Buses Fitzalan Square-Middlewood/Malin Bridge. Blue route buses via West Street, Yellow route buses direct to Shalesmoor.

TRAM SERVICE FROM SAT 27TH JULY TO 9TH AUGUST (ALSO FROM 22:00 17 AUGUST AND ALL DAY 18 AUGUST)

Area 4 works in the Hillsborough area. Blue and Yellow trams will terminate at Hillsborough. Note for some of this period of works Holme Lane will be closed.

NORMAL SERVICE: 10th to 16th August and 19th to 23rd August

AREA 5 RAIL WORKS - 24TH TO 30TH AUGUST

Taking place by University of Sheffield tram stop. Trams will terminate at Cathedral.

Normal service resumes from 31st August until further notice.

All the information can be found at http://www.supertram.com

Edited by Andy C

2 hours ago, Andy C said:

AREA 5 RAIL WORKS - 24TH TO 30TH AUGUST

Taking place by University of Sheffield tram stop. Trams will terminate at Cathedral.

Thanks Andy, this is helpful because the Area 3/4/5 leaflet which I downloaded last week from Supertram's website states that the Area 5 suspension of trams towards Hillsborough beyond the Cathedral will run from the 25th to the 30th, with a normal service on the 24th.

Hence the Area 5 start date's evidently now been brought forward; according to Supertram's website today this is now scheduled to start at about 7:00pm on the 24th. 

7 hours ago, GleadlessLad said:

Thanks Andy, this is helpful because the Area 3/4/5 leaflet which I downloaded last week from Supertram's website states that the Area 5 suspension of trams towards Hillsborough beyond the Cathedral will run from the 25th to the 30th, with a normal service on the 24th.

Hence the Area 5 start date's evidently now been brought forward; according to Supertram's website today this is now scheduled to start at about 7:00pm on the 24th. 

That’s correct. Volker have asked for extra time for that area. 

FURTHER UPDATE ON DATES OF RAIL REPLACEMENT WORK AREAS

Volker Rail, who are carrying out the work under contract to South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (the local authority), have had to make some changes to the work programme.

AREA 4 WORKS (trams running to Hillsborough with replacement buses on to Middlewood and Malin Bridge)

- Saturday 27th July to Saturday 3rd August

- Sunday 4th August - this day the work will be on Holme Lane so Middlewood trams can run, therefore only Blue route affected.

- Saturday 17th August from 22:00hrs to Friday 23rd August

- NORMAL SERVICE 5TH AUGUST TO 16TH AUGUST, Also until about 21:00 on Saturday 17th August

AREA 5 WORKS (trams running to Cathedral with replacement buses Fitzalan Square to Middlewood/Malin Bridge)

- Saturday 24th August to Friday 30th August

FULL NETWORK REOPENS FROM SATURDAY 31ST AUGUST

Interesting Andy that these changes have not been the subject of better communication with notices hidden on the existing noticeboards and at stop like Middlewood there is a freestanding board but it is not used to flag important changes like this - after all why would we consult the noticeboards when we though we knew what the service was and certainly I saw nothing on trams or the superlink bus to draw my attention to this

Could not help laughing to myself that at Hillsborough on Sunday afternoon there was a big notice on the noticeboard on the city center side advising intending passengers that the platform was closed despite the trams running a normal Sunday service at the stop

A normal tram service is currently operating on all routes until 9pm Saturday 17th August.

Area 4a rail replacement works: 22:00hrs Saturday 17th to Friday 23rd August (Hillsborough Corner/Holme Lane area)

Blue & Yellow trams to terminate at Hillsborough on a revised timetable, bus alternatives from Hillsborough to Middlewood and Malin Bridge.

Purple trams and tram train to run as normal.

Area 5 rail replacement works: Saturday 24th to Friday 30th August (University of Sheffield area)

Blue, Yellow and Purple trams to terminate at Cathedral on a revised timetable. Bus alternatives from the City Centre to Hillsborough, Middlewood and Malin Bridge. 

Tram train to run as normal.

A guide to the revised tram timetables and alternative buses can be downloaded from https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram/

FULL NETWORK REOPENS FOR THE REST OF 2019 FROM SATURDAY 31ST AUGUST

Absolute shambles this entire process.

Buses not leaving on time or buses not synchronised with trams for easy transportation, just utter chaos as ever.