Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

It just seems to be taking so very long.  I live at the very top of Stannington and it was bad enough when they took the link buses off us.  I try and be a considerate citizen and not drive my car into town and used to love being able to nip into town via the 81 bus and tram.  Sure it took a lot longer than using my car but I put up with that.

However, it has made rail journeys getting to and from Sheffield Railway station a living hell.

I returned to Sheffield (via train)  in the early afternoon on Thursday and it took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to get home AND the Shalesmoor link buses (all arriving as they should) meant that my bus the 81 was stuck behind them and I had to run to ensure I got on it as it was blocked by two of the replacements buses.  Not funny as I am waiting for a knee replacement.

When I tried today to find an easier route from the station the wretched journey planner suggested I walk from the Station to Angel Street - Okay, knee replacement or not I could manage that ordinarily but with luggage - are you flipping serious???

And if you try and search for "when will all the tram rail replacements in Sheffield be completed" you do not get a straight answer from any site.

I have now given up.  I will drive my car and add to the congestion on the roads because I am sick of lack of clear information.  It is impossible now to plan any journey coherently.  It has completely ruined my train travel this summer and I have now decided not to undertake any more train/tram journeys until 1st October because I am sure everything will be magically put right once the student throng returns and swells the population once more.

I know this is essential maintenance but I just wish they would d**n well get on with it.

They're milking it big style, just the work that's going on Derek Dooley Way. Experts in the extraction of urine.

On 06/07/2019 at 11:58, PATHFINDER said:

It just seems to be taking so very long.  I live at the very top of Stannington and it was bad enough when they took the link buses off us.  I try and be a considerate citizen and not drive my car into town and used to love being able to nip into town via the 81 bus and tram.  Sure it took a lot longer than using my car but I put up with that.

However, it has made rail journeys getting to and from Sheffield Railway station a living hell.

I returned to Sheffield (via train)  in the early afternoon on Thursday and it took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to get home AND the Shalesmoor link buses (all arriving as they should) meant that my bus the 81 was stuck behind them and I had to run to ensure I got on it as it was blocked by two of the replacements buses.  Not funny as I am waiting for a knee replacement.

When I tried today to find an easier route from the station the wretched journey planner suggested I walk from the Station to Angel Street - Okay, knee replacement or not I could manage that ordinarily but with luggage - are you flipping serious???

And if you try and search for "when will all the tram rail replacements in Sheffield be completed" you do not get a straight answer from any site.

I have now given up.  I will drive my car and add to the congestion on the roads because I am sick of lack of clear information.  It is impossible now to plan any journey coherently.  It has completely ruined my train travel this summer and I have now decided not to undertake any more train/tram journeys until 1st October because I am sure everything will be magically put right once the student throng returns and swells the population once more.

I know this is essential maintenance but I just wish they would d**n well get on with it.

All the information on tram services and alternative buses provided is at http://www.supertram.com

Here is the current schedule of works in terms of travelling:

area 2 works (between Shalesmoor and Hillsborough, no trams beyond Shalesmoor ) until 18th July

Tramlines festival (no rail replacement works taking place, some changes to evening service to cater for festival) 19th to 21st July

area 3 works (Shalesmoor area, trams terminating at Cathedral) 22nd to 26th July

area 4 works (Hillsborough area, trams terminating at Hillsborough) 27th July to 9th August and also 17/18 August

area 5 works (University area, trams terminating at Cathedral) 24th to 30th August

Normal service resumes Saturday 31st August.

There are also some contingency dates - 10th to 16th August and 19th to 23rd August - that have no works currently planned so a normal tram service is likely to operate on those days.

For information on Stannington buses (First bus 81/82 and TM Travel bus 61/62) visit https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/.

For Sheffield Station to Stannington your easiest journey is probably to catch a tram to Castle Square and join your bus at Angel Street.

Edited by Andy C

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:23, amnicoll said:

The Bradfield Road junction would benefit from being a yellow box junction were such a regulation to be enforced

A good way to enforce yellow box junctions would be if someone is caught stationary in one,  it should open like a trapdoor and the car drop to the centre of the earths core.

Edited by Nightbird

knowing our council though the doors would not close again!

On 10/07/2019 at 17:24, Andy C said:

All the information on tram services and alternative buses provided is at http://www.supertram.com

Here is the current schedule of works in terms of travelling:

area 2 works (between Shalesmoor and Hillsborough, no trams beyond Shalesmoor ) until 18th July

Tramlines festival (no rail replacement works taking place, some changes to evening service to cater for festival) 19th to 21st July

area 3 works (Shalesmoor area, trams terminating at Cathedral) 22nd to 26th July

area 4 works (Hillsborough area, trams terminating at Hillsborough) 27th July to 9th August and also 17/18 August

area 5 works (University area, trams terminating at Cathedral) 24th to 30th August

Normal service resumes Saturday 31st August.

There are also some contingency dates - 10th to 16th August and 19th to 23rd August - that have no works currently planned so a normal tram service is likely to operate on those days.

For information on Stannington buses (First bus 81/82 and TM Travel bus 61/62) visit https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/.

For Sheffield Station to Stannington your easiest journey is probably to catch a tram to Castle Square and join your bus at Angel Street.

A tram conductor told us the other day that there had been 'some delays' and works now aren't likely to end until mid-late September. Not sure how true it is (they blamed the 'rainy weather'?!).

I was told the other day they were a couple of days ahead of schedule

I've heard area 2 is on time and the contingency days allowed in the schedule are to be used for other roadworks so all sounds good to me!

Edited by Andy C

Hillsborough corner unexpectedly closed last night with no notice of it until you reached the bottom of Ripley Street, at which point there's a diversion for me in the wrong direction entirely!

Cyclone: just another example of the incompetence of our council and their signage policy (lack of) when roads are closed. I am sure I may have mentioned this elsewhere but in the earlier stage with the Hillsborough end of Middlewood road closed rather than warn traffic heading towards town or Hillsborough  with a sign before ASDA to divert them down Catch Bar Lane they waited until the beginning of the works and a far more inconvenient diversion

28 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Hillsborough corner unexpectedly closed last night with no notice of it until you reached the bottom of Ripley Street, at which point there's a diversion for me in the wrong direction entirely!

Just found this on the Supertram twitter feed, work being done by AMEY and not supertram

More

Tonight is the first night of road surfacing works by Amey outside Hillsborough Interchange. On Monday 15th, Tuesday 16th & Wednesday 17th July the SL1/a and BL2 replacement bus services will operate on the route below from 10pm to the end of service.

Area 2 of tram rail replacement work has been completed on time.

Today safety checks are taking place to ensure the new rails are OK and bits of track and junctions that haven't been used for a while are all right, points are getting greased, grooves cleaned out and a test tram will be running up and down carrying engineers.

The full tram network will be open for passenger service on Friday, Saturday and Sunday although there are some changes in the evening to cater for people returning into town from Tramlines festival.

Area 3 rail replacement works commence on Monday 22nd July, these works are in the Shalesmoor area and trams will terminate at Cathedral with replacement buses Fitzalan Square to Malin Bridge/Middlewood (and also some alternative Stagecoach buses also accepting valid tram tickets).  This area of works lasts just 5 days, area 4 begins Saturday 27th July in the Hillsborough/Holme Lane area with trams running as far as Hillsborough.