Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

How does having the road closed to traffic in one direction at various points over the last few months make your driving experience glorious?

16 hours ago, pearlt072 said:

It has been a glorious experience driving with these works.  I mean that genuinely. 

Ere ere.

Did you mean, "Hear, hear"?

And if so, how is the traffic better whilst the road is closed to traffic in one direction at various points?  Can someone explain?

6 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Did you mean, "Hear, hear"?

And if so, how is the traffic better whilst the road is closed to traffic in one direction at various points?  Can someone explain?

Because it takes 2-3 minutes to get from Penistone Road to Loxley and not 10-15.

How is that related to the rail replacement then, what's happening that is making the traffic down Holme Lane so much better?

43 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

How is that related to the rail replacement then, what's happening that is making the traffic down Holme Lane so much better?

No tram holding everything else up.Traffic getting through the lights easier.The tram holds everything up and has done for years as it is obviously a priority.

Does the tram going down Holme lane somehow hold everything up?  It's what, about the equivalent of 20 cars?  And there are buses instead, the people travelling didn't disappear, so I'm still not clear on how it's made the traffic lighter.

To be fair, I was thinking about Infirmary Road rather than Holme Lane originally.  How was the traffic when the tram was still running to Hillsborough but no further?

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Does the tram going down Holme lane somehow hold everything up?  It's what, about the equivalent of 20 cars?  And there are buses instead, the people travelling didn't disappear, so I'm still not clear on how it's made the traffic lighter.

To be fair, I was thinking about Infirmary Road rather than Holme Lane originally.  How was the traffic when the tram was still running to Hillsborough but no further?

The traffic from Penistone Road when it hits the mini roundabout at Bradfield Road is the start of the problem.The left hand lane is for left turning vehicles (onto Langsett Road)-though many drivers try and save time by using it then trying to cut in before the lights.When there is a tram in the vicinity-even though it is still nowhere near the junction-the lights favour it.When the tram finally arrives and passes through the lights have been known to let pedestrians cross again therefore missing drivers on Bradfield Road out so a 2-3 minute traverse can become much longer-unfortunately I make this journey a few times a day so lately it has been a Godsend getting through.

So it's really just a problem of traffic lights timing and the way the tram triggers them by being close by?

52 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So it's really just a problem of traffic lights timing and the way the tram triggers them by being close by?

Being close by is a bit of an overstatement as further along Langsett Road junction with Bamforth Street you wait what seems an age at a red light before the tram appears.At the aforementioned junction with Holme Lane there seems to be a tram in the vicinity more often than not and turning left onto Langsett Road is a bad option as there are always trams/buses/taxis clogging that area.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Correct.

Fair enough, I only ever travel the other way, Langsett Rd to Infirmary, and back, on my bike (so I'm allowed).

And the wait is always ages that way as well.

Perhaps the lights and triggers could be adjusted to work better.