Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

I'm back in work in the city centre tomorrow after 2 weeks off, so slightly clueless around what the trams are doing.

Having looked online, I didn't find much sense...Am I right in thinking I can get the Supertram link bus from outside B&M and it will go into town? If so where in town does it stop? Or do we get onto a tram at Shalesmoor? 

Many Thanks 

This is the 2nd summer when the tram network to Middlweood is closed. Why oh why can't they do their work on 1 line at a time and carry on with single line working for the tram. Alternatively couldn't they work overnight. I have just taken a quick look at other tram systems (Manchester, Newcastle Nottingham and Birmingham) and none of these have any long term closures (apart from some weather related issues) I am quite disappointed with Sheffield supertram here, and their bus replacements are

not well organised. So there!   

2 hours ago, Octopus99 said:

I'm back in work in the city centre tomorrow after 2 weeks off, so slightly clueless around what the trams are doing.

Having looked online, I didn't find much sense...Am I right in thinking I can get the Supertram link bus from outside B&M and it will go into town? If so where in town does it stop? Or do we get onto a tram at Shalesmoor? 

Many Thanks 

It is a nightmare as it keeps changing as the work progresses. The yellow tram replacement bus goes from stand H5 in Hillsborough Interchange and will take you to Shalesmoor if you want to get a blue tram or Fitzallan Square if you want a yellow one.

At least that was the situation on Saturday.

2 hours ago, taxman said:

It is a nightmare as it keeps changing as the work progresses. The yellow tram replacement bus goes from stand H5 in Hillsborough Interchange and will take you to Shalesmoor if you want to get a blue tram or Fitzallan Square if you want a yellow one.

At least that was the situation on Saturday.

Thank you. 

I fully expected chaos to be honest, I'll head into Hillsborough and see what happens! 

5 hours ago, richard15 said:

This is the 2nd summer when the tram network to Middlweood is closed. Why oh why can't they do their work on 1 line at a time and carry on with single line working for the tram. Alternatively couldn't they work overnight. I have just taken a quick look at other tram systems (Manchester, Newcastle Nottingham and Birmingham) and none of these have any long term closures (apart from some weather related issues) I am quite disappointed with Sheffield supertram here, and their bus replacements are

You want them to do single line working on a road section?

6 hours ago, richard15 said:

All roads, rails etc. face disruption at times:

Manchester: Bury line closed over Easter

Newcastle Metro(tram?): South Shields and Chichester is to close for four weeks in August

Nottingham: major city centre closures 2016

Birmingham: continuing disruption due to extension work at both ends.

Single line working would mean total road closures for all other traffic.

You're missing the point.

They closed these roads very recently, if there were sections of track that were within a year of needing replacing, then why didn't they replace them then?  It's a very disruptive operation and it makes no sense logistically to spread the work over 2 years separated by 10 months, instead of just doing it all at once.

14 hours ago, Hook said:

They already do, but clearly this can't allow the tram to continue operating as the section that is open allows traffic through in just one direction and the tram would have to travel both ways, and not just both ways on the section being worked on, but it would be on the wrong side at some point for an extended length of time until it reached a set of points where it could swap back to the correct side.

15 hours ago, Hook said:

What are they doing on Infirmary Road at the moment?

Hope it takes another 6 months.You can actually drive through Hillsborough without a 4 hour wait at the lights.

12 hours ago, amnicoll said:

What are they doing on Infirmary Road at the moment?

Single line working is a railway specific term which refers to vehicles running on the same track in both directions, when usually they would run on two, single direction tracks. 

This is impossible on road running sections. It’s also impossible on Infirmary Road at the moment as that section is isolated and earthed. 

Current service:

Yellow route: Meadowhall to Cathedral (Shalesmoor evenings and Sundays)

Tram Train route: Rotherham Parkgate to Cathedral

Blue route: Halfway to Shalesmoor

Purple route: Herdings Park to Cathedral

Bus SL1/SL1a: Stocksbridge to Fitzalan Square

Bus BL2: Malin Bridge to Shalesmoor (Fitzalan Square evenings and Sundays)

tram tickets also accepted on Stagecoach operated buses on the following routes: 7, 31, 52, 57, 86 (between City Centre and the Hillsborough area).

Note the exact route of the tram alternative buses may vary depending which bit of road is closed.

This area of works run until Thursday 18th July.

More details: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/news/yorkshire/2019/may/st-area-2-rail-replacement-2019

Bus and tram timetables also in the journey planner on the Stagecoach bus app.

The full tram network will operate normally for Tramlines festival 19-21 July.

Area 3 works run from 22nd July to 25th July with Cathedral-Middlewood/Malin Bridge closed

Area 4 works run from 26th July to 9th August with trams running as far as Hillsborough.

Normal service runs 10th-24th August.

Area 5 works run from 25th August to 30th August with Cathedral-Middlewood/Malin Bridge closed.

Edited by Andy C

On 18/06/2019 at 12:06, Lushcannon said:

Hope it takes another 6 months.You can actually drive through Hillsborough without a 4 hour wait at the lights.

It has been a glorious experience driving with these works.  I mean that genuinely.