Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

^^^^

I concur. Park Grange was done both ways and also City Road from Spring Lane going up to Manor Top. Not sure about the downward bit from Manor Top to Spring Lane though. As said already some of the track on the bends that was renewed is starting to get corrugated already and the City Road section is in an appalling state with some of the concrete broken away again, and the resin that embeds the rails missing in many places.

Good news Stagecoach are to extend the SL1 from the beginning of June to either Shalesmore or into Sheffield. 

Seems that some involved in the public transport sector listen to their customers 

On 02/05/2019 at 08:22, Cyclone said:

They're well over 100 metres at the moment, closer to 3 or 4 hundred I'd say.

Seems like a foolish decision by the council, closing a road for months twice in a few years is just stupid.

I would have said that imposing a distance limitation was just pure madness and the criteria should be the alternative routes available for road traffic and I m not sure if our even our council are that stupid. So I can see the logic but it is perhaps a shame that they have not explained this to the public.

what does surprise me is that the council have no temporary signage on Middlewood road heading from the P&R to Asda to warn of the road closure ahead and divert Hillsborough bound traffic  traffic down Catch Bar lane thus catching out anyone unaware of the road closure

Can anyone enlighten me as to the thinking at Castle Square where the dot matrix next tram was showing the yellow trams as going to "Cathedral/Middlewood" .

sure regular users might realise this was rubbish but strangers would not have a clue , yes there are  notices on the shelter and even sometimes members of staff but why would I ask or look elsewhere when the dot matrix seems to be providing me with tram destination.

5 hours ago, amnicoll said:

Can anyone enlighten me as to the thinking at Castle Square where the dot matrix next tram was showing the yellow trams as going to "Cathedral/Middlewood" .

sure regular users might realise this was rubbish but strangers would not have a clue , yes there are  notices on the shelter and even sometimes members of staff but why would I ask or look elsewhere when the dot matrix seems to be providing me with tram destination.

the tram is going to Cathedral with bus connection available to Middlewood, hence Cathedral/Middlewood. Same principal with Blue route displaying Shalesmoor/Malin Bridge.

Really the replacement bus connection goes from Fitzalan Square and as far as I know there are no buses from Cathedral to Middlewood so if there is a bus connection from Cathedral to Middlewood I would be very grateful if you could enlighten me as which bus as this would be very convenient for me

I said nothing about the blue tram because yes that is going to Shalesmore with a connecting bus and makes sense as passenger would indeed get on the tram if heading to Malin Bridge

You can get the yellow or blue tram to Shalesmoor and swap on to the SL to get to Middlewood, or get the SL from near Ponds Forge to Middlewood.

Not sure why it would mention Cathedral?

1 hour ago, vwkittie said:

You can get the yellow or blue tram to Shalesmoor and swap on to the SL to get to Middlewood, or get the SL from near Ponds Forge to Middlewood.

Not sure why it would mention Cathedral?

The yellow tram only goes to Shalesmoor in the evenings, the rest of the time it stops at the Cathedral.

This was mid afternoon and the yellow tram was terminating at Cathedral

I know you can get the blue tram to Shalesmoor

I am sure Andy will enlighten me where to catch the bus to Middlewood at Cathedral

I suspect that this is just another example of stagecoach supertram and the PTE failing to understand the importance of communication especially for visitors and infrequent users/laziness

Yellow route runs to Cathedral (Shalesmoor evenings and Sundays)

Blue route runs to Shalesmoor.

Purple/Tram Train runs to Cathedral as normal.

Alternative bus network:

SL1/SL1a to Middlewood (and Stocksbridge) runs from Fitzalan Square via Shalesmoor

BL2 to Malin Bridge runs from Shalesmoor (Fitzalan Square evenings and Sundays)

31 runs to Hillsborough (and Loxley) from Castle Square (evenings, Saturdays and Sundays only)

52 runs to Hillsborough from Cathedral, City Hall, West Street and University (evenings and Sundays only)

57 runs to Hillsborough Park (and Oughtibridge) from Castle Square via Shalesmoor

All the above Stagecoach services accept tram tickets between City and the Hillsborough area during the current rail replacement works.

Full information is on posters on tram stops. Electronic departure boards along the route show both the trams actual and normal destination. On board staff can advise passengers where to catch alternative buses where appropriate and there are also automated announcements on board advising where to change for the bus. All the revised timetables (both tram and bus) are also in the journey planner on the Stagecoach app and website.

so Andy there is no connection at Cathedral as you previously stated

Yes on board staff will be able to advise anyone getting on at castle square to stay on the tram and return to fitzalan square

I am not saying there are not posters and timetables  simply questioning why the dot matrix at this one stop shows the tram as going to Middlewood yes on the rest of the route I can understand the logic of showing the destination as Cathedral/Middlewood

1 hour ago, taxman said:

The yellow tram only goes to Shalesmoor in the evenings, the rest of the time it stops at the Cathedral.

Ahhh that makes sense then! So you'd have to change on to a blue one during the day time

Ahhh that makes sense then! So you'd have to change on to a blue one during the day time

By far the easiest option for anyone at Castle Square heading to Middlewood/Stocksbridge during the day is to catch the connecting bus that departs from opposite the tram stop at Fitzalan Square