Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

Surely it all wears out at roughly the same rate...  By roughly, if it had a 25 year lifespan (or 10 or 15, I don't know) and you inspect it and go...  Well, 66% of it is now ready for replacement.  The remaining third will last for 9 more months.

Well, you replace it anyway.  Because of the huge disruption caused by closing down a road for months at a time.

I would expect wear to vary considerably depending on such factors as gradient and curve, and whether breaking is common at a particular point.

They did replacements last year.  Clearly the track that is now being replaced must have been close to replacement at that point.

What is the lifespan of track, they haven't been replacing it every year for the past 25, so it seems like it's in the region of 20 - 25 years.  So when the time comes that some is ready to replace, why leave track that will be replaced next year.  It causes a huge problem in the area to close these roads for weeks at a time.

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

They did replacements last year.  Clearly the track that is now being replaced must have been close to replacement at that point.

What is the lifespan of track, they haven't been replacing it every year for the past 25, so it seems like it's in the region of 20 - 25 years.  So when the time comes that some is ready to replace, why leave track that will be replaced next year.  It causes a huge problem in the area to close these roads for weeks at a time.

They’re only allowed to replace certain sections of track, IIRC, it’s around 100m by the council, so that road closures are, in theory reduced. 

Rail replacement can only be done during the warmer months (due to temperatures required for assessing rail length, the Edilon performing correctly when being laid down etc). 

Therefore as much as can be replaced is replaced and it’s done on a priority basis. Rail does not wear down equally in all places. It just can’t all be done at once unless the council change their stance on road closures. 

They're well over 100 metres at the moment, closer to 3 or 4 hundred I'd say.

Seems like a foolish decision by the council, closing a road for months twice in a few years is just stupid.

Trams only from Hillsborough until June.

Then June to August no trams at all will be busses all the way due to university corner works (I think).

Thought you would like to know

So no trams again for Tramlines at Hillsborough Park in July.

Great planning

Trams will be running for Tramlines. The work schedule needs looking at so the heavy work is done during the daytime.

The noise this morning at 4am was unbelievable.

12 hours ago, Cyclone said:

They're well over 100 metres at the moment, closer to 3 or 4 hundred I'd say.

Seems like a foolish decision by the council, closing a road for months twice in a few years is just stupid.

I remember when all this began (summer 2013), the whole of the "on street" track on Park Grange Rd was done at the same time; a couple of years later they did all of the track on City Rd - each of these stretches is much more than 100 metres.

I was surprised to find that more work's to be done between Shalesmoor & Middlewood this year - like some other folk I was under the impression that all of that area had been done.  While I do understand that some sections of track will wear more quickly than others, I can't see the logic of doing a part-replacement job & then returning only a year or two later to replace the sections of track which weren't replaced originally - this just seems to cause a second year of disruption which could have been avoided if the whole area had been done on the first occasion?

Yep, exactly my thoughts.

1 hour ago, GleadlessLad said:

I remember when all this began (summer 2013), the whole of the "on street" track on Park Grange Rd was done at the same time; a couple of years later they did all of the track on City Rd - each of these stretches is much more than 100 metres.

I was surprised to find that more work's to be done between Shalesmoor & Middlewood this year - like some other folk I was under the impression that all of that area had been done.  While I do understand that some sections of track will wear more quickly than others, I can't see the logic of doing a part-replacement job & then returning only a year or two later to replace the sections of track which weren't replaced originally - this just seems to cause a second year of disruption which could have been avoided if the whole area had been done on the first occasion?

Not all of city road has been done, nor has all of Park Grange Road. 

Theyre only allowed to close certain sections of road at any one time - that’s why they work up from a certain point. 

13 hours ago, Hook said:

Not all of city road has been done, nor has all of Park Grange Road. 

All of the "on street" track on Park Grange was definitely done in 2013 - I used to watch the (very few) Volker Rail employees working their way along the highway while I went past on the Replacement Bus.

Similarly I'm certain that the whole of City Road was done, i.e. from outside what's now the St Luke's shop right down to the junction with Spring Lane.  Again, I used to watch the progress of the works while on the Replacement Bus.

Guess that we'll have to differ on this one then Hook!