Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

Thanks stillf. Seems like we'll be rather stuffed for meeting kids from school/going into town at night/getting home from work in a reasonable time/doing shopping if you're infirm or don't have access to a car (52a stops running early evening and 61/62 are only every hour.) They've put a replacement service to serve Middlewood, which I realise is the tram route, but left us rather poorly served I feel.  I don't suppose they've extended the 52a service to cover the evening services of the 31, that would have solved the deficit.

The major set of bus diversions/alterations shown is only for the Easter Weekend.  There is nothing on the site to show what is happening with the buses after this point as it only mentions the fact the replacement buses will be operating until June.

Yep, that's why I'm not holding my breath as to when the services will be back to normal. I realise that unexpected problems may happen but I'm not reight good at gazing into a crystal ball. Thanks again for your help, I'll just keep my eye on the site for updates. 👍

Seems as though I’ve chosen the right day to retire 😀

Just a reminder, this all starts from tomorrow (Friday, 19 April).

On 10/03/2019 at 00:04, amnicoll said:

Wish I could say I was shocked -disappointed yes that once again Stagecoach Supertram demonstrate their complete contempt for the traveling public

i hope Jay will return to Middlewood to at least try and coordinate the buses

You'll be shocked to know that Stagecoach don't own the infrastructure. 

The current contract for stagecoach is daily operating only. So just the electricity bill & staff costs. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

You'll be shocked to know that Stagecoach don't own the infrastructure. 

The current contract for stagecoach is daily operating only. So just the electricity bill & staff costs. 

They are responsible for general maintenance day to day - hence why you see them repairing odd bits of track (e.g after the first Staniforth road crash, and recent track bond replacement work) as well as the maintenance of the fleet.

SYPTE are responsible for the major work - I.e rail replacement.   

18 minutes ago, Hook said:

They are responsible for general maintenance day to day - hence why you see them repairing odd bits of track (e.g after the first Staniforth road crash, and recent track bond replacement work) as well as the maintenance of the fleet.

SYPTE are responsible for the major work - I.e rail replacement.   

Maintenance of the fleet is done by the manufacturer for both the normal and TT units.

My point really was that people are bashing stagecoach for the upcoming works and they're not responsible. 

I hope the replacement bus service is better than what we got when they did the Blue route around the Crystal Peaks area . Bus stops no where near the tram stops , bus drivers who didn't know what the route was  and didn't even know roads in the area  when directed by the passengers . Really , good luck to you all

I am not shocked that stagecoach do not own the infrastructure I was well aware of that.

however l assume it is stagecoach and not the PTE who decided not to run the tram link buses through to Hillsborough and instead inconvenience those users of the tram link unnecessarily 

2 hours ago, amnicoll said:

I am not shocked that stagecoach do not own the infrastructure I was well aware of that.

however l assume it is stagecoach and not the PTE who decided not to run the tram link buses through to Hillsborough and instead inconvenience those users of the tram link unnecessarily 

There are a number of factors that could have led to that decision. 

PTE not sanctioning the route 

Route would run at a constant loss

No operators licence availability. Bus companies have several OLs not just one. 

Fleet availability. Busses cost between 140,000 to 200,000. 

Driver availability 

12 hours ago, Resident said:

Maintenance of the fleet is done by the manufacturer for both the normal and TT units.

My point really was that people are bashing stagecoach for the upcoming works and they're not responsible. 

Again, not true. 

The Class 399 vehicles are currently maintained by both Stadler contractors (who do the majority of the work) and by Supertram employees. 

The Siemens fleet is maintained solely by Supertram Maintenance Ltd employees. 

56 minutes ago, Resident said:

There are a number of factors that could have led to that decision. 

PTE not sanctioning the route 

Route would run at a constant loss

No operators licence availability. Bus companies have several OLs not just one. 

Fleet availability. Busses cost between 140,000 to 200,000. 

Driver availability 

The PTE provide the funding for rail replacement buses. They were not willing to fund extending the SL1 buses to Hillsborough and Supertram were unwilling to provide the funding themselves.