Sheffield wednesday accounts for year end 2018

1 hour ago, Grappler said:

I have a a friend who was 12 grand out of pocket from the time when HMRC started the winding up order against SWFC.  They ended up being paid pennies in the pound when Milan took over (nothing wrong with what Milan did, it is how the business world operates).

People saying that Chancer should be able to spend as much as he wants need to take a step back and have a look at the reality of this.  What happens if he runs out of cash?, what happens to the small, local businesses that he owes money to? 

Changing your year end, and submitting the books late, is the final throw of the dice for DC, at least that is how it looks to me, hoping that Brucie can get the team into the play offs and promotion, so the Prem money can cover any issues.

Hmmm... :huh:

... well it's not so much 'the final throw of the dice' as a bit of a 'clever ploy' (albeit a bit short-sighted) identified by the OP.

Common sense would indicate that the most obvious reason for moving the accounting year-end to the end of July would be to allow this seasons pre-season ticket sales (those bought in June and July 2018) to be included in the 2018 accounts (instead of in next years 2019 accounts) in the hope of off-setting those silly rules brought in by those naughty men at the EFL.

So in effect, they've included 2 seasons pre-season ticket sales (seasons 2017-2018 and 2018-2019) in one accounting year(2018).

Which all seems fine...

... but it also means that next years accounts(2019) which are for this season (2018-2019) will not be able to include any pre-season ticket sales (bought June or July 2018), but will be able to include pre-season ticket sales (bought in June or July 2019) for the 2019-2020 season.

Confused yet? :confused:

What this really means is that instead of (as now) the club having an idea of how they're doing financially at the start of the season (based on pre-season ticket sales for that season), the real accounting position of the club will not be known until the start of the following season (when pre-season ticket sales for the following season are known).

The bottom line is that the club will no longer have income from pre-season ticket sales for that season.

It also means that anyone buying a pre-season season ticket will be helping to pay off the clubs previous season's 'debt' and no longer investing in its future.

But no-one listens to me anyway... :(

3 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... well it's not so much 'the final throw of the dice' as a bit of a 'clever ploy' (albeit a bit short-sighted) identified by the OP.

Common sense would indicate that the most obvious reason for moving the accounting year-end to the end of July would be to allow this seasons pre-season ticket sales (those bought in June and July 2018) to be included in the 2018 accounts (instead of in next years 2019 accounts) in the hope of off-setting those silly rules brought in by those naughty men at the EFL.

So in effect, they've included 2 seasons pre-season ticket sales (seasons 2017-2018 and 2018-2019) in one accounting year(2018).

Which all seems fine...

... but it also means that next years accounts(2019) which are for this season (2018-2019) will not be able to include any pre-season ticket sales (bought June or July 2018), but will be able to include pre-season ticket sales (bought in June or July 2019) for the 2019-2020 season.

Confused yet? :confused:

What this really means is that instead of (as now) the club having an idea of how they're doing financially at the start of the season (based on pre-season ticket sales for that season), the real accounting position of the club will not be known until the start of the following season (when pre-season ticket sales for the following season are known).

The bottom line is that the club will no longer have income from pre-season ticket sales for that season.

It also means that anyone buying a pre-season season ticket will be helping to pay off the clubs previous season's 'debt' and no longer investing in its future.

But no-one listens to me anyway... :(

Well I am and you are probably right as you put it he is using next years season ticket money to pay for this years running costs.All well and good if you have a crystal ball and you know what will be happening next year.Is he like a dozen more clubs thinking they will be in the Prem next year?A dangerous game in my opinion.

On 05/03/2019 at 12:47, petcharlie said:

Well I am and you are probably right as you put it he is using next years season ticket money to pay for this years running costs.All well and good if you have a crystal ball and you know what will be happening next year.Is he like a dozen more clubs thinking they will be in the Prem next year?A dangerous game in my opinion.

Depends when the ffp starts again. Does it start a fresh from end of this season so if we spend wisely it shouldn't matter too much? I'm not thinking too much about it as not sure how it works properly.

This ffp does wind me up abit though. I get why it's there but it give relegated sides an advantage. I don't know if it is or not but parachute payments shouldn't be counted towards the ffp to stop club's using it to sign players

Edited by NERVY-OWL

7 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Depends when the ffp starts again. Does it start a fresh from end of this season so if we spend wisely it shouldn't matter too much? I'm not thinking too much about it as not sure how it works properly.

This ffp does wind me up abit though. I get why it's there but it give relegated sides an advantage. I don't know if it is or not but parachute payments shouldn't be counted towards the ffp to stop club's using it to sign players

I believe parachute payments were brought in to help pay Premier ship wages which would be hard for a club who find themselves in the Championship with prem footballers on high wages.Now you know as I do the clubs spend it on more expensive players so they can go back up to the prem at the first attempt but that hardly ever works.So they end up in the mire .

4 hours ago, petcharlie said:

I believe parachute payments were brought in to help pay Premier ship wages which would be hard for a club who find themselves in the Championship with prem footballers on high wages.Now you know as I do the clubs spend it on more expensive players so they can go back up to the prem at the first attempt but that hardly ever works.So they end up in the mire .

As it should be. They might not count it towards FFP but if they do then it should stop. 

20 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

As it should be. They might not count it towards FFP but if they do then it should stop. 

The payments count towards the club's income.

I think clubs are allowed to spend £39mil more than their income in any 3 year period before FFP kicks in.

Its probably much more complicated than that, but thats how i understand it.

5 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

This ffp does wind me up a bit though. I get why it's there but it give relegated sides an advantage. I don't know if it is or not but parachute payments shouldn't be counted towards the ffp to stop club's using it to sign players

A prime example of spending big to go straight back up are Stoke City, according to https://www.transferleague.co.uk/stoke-city/english-football-teams/stoke-city-transfers  they have spent  £54,850,000  and received  £24,730,000 so they have actually spent £30,120,000, be interesting to see what they spend come the summer transfer window.

Players Purchased Fee Players Sold Fee Net Total Points Position
Season 18/19            
Adam Federici Undisclosed Dominic Telford Free      
Oghenekaro Etebo £6,350,000 Marc Muniesa £4,500,000      
Tom Ince £10,000,000 Ramadan Sobhi £5,700,000      
Sam Clucas £6,000,000 Xherdan Shaqiri £13,000,000      
James McClean £5,000,000 Lee Grant £1,530,000      
Benik Afobe £12,000,000          
Ryan Woods £6,500,000 Ryan Sweeney Free      
Danny Batth Free          
Sam Vokes £9,000,000          
          PTS POS
Season Total £54,850,000   £24,730,000 £30,120,000

Season 2017/18 they spent Net total of £15,250,000 

Season 2016/17 they spent Net total of £29,750,000

I assume the last two seasons when they were in the PL do not count towards the FFP in the Championship.

Edited by iansheff

so a decision or the accounts are going to be published in july 2019 is that correct? also do you think we could be in breach of the rules for dc taxis,as its a joke that a company would advertise for years a company with no taxis why?

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

so a decision or the accounts are going to be published in july 2019 is that correct? also do you think we could be in breach of the rules for dc taxis,as its a joke that a company would advertise for years a company with no taxis why?

Strange but why not when a government can give a contract to a shipping company who do not have no ships and waste millions doing it.

20 hours ago, iansheff said:

A prime example of spending big to go straight back up are Stoke City, according to https://www.transferleague.co.uk/stoke-city/english-football-teams/stoke-city-transfers  they have spent  £54,850,000  and received  £24,730,000 so they have actually spent £30,120,000, be interesting to see what they spend come the summer transfer window.

Players Purchased Fee Players Sold Fee Net Total Points Position
Season 18/19            
Adam Federici Undisclosed Dominic Telford Free      
Oghenekaro Etebo £6,350,000 Marc Muniesa £4,500,000      
Tom Ince £10,000,000 Ramadan Sobhi £5,700,000      
Sam Clucas £6,000,000 Xherdan Shaqiri £13,000,000      
James McClean £5,000,000 Lee Grant £1,530,000      
Benik Afobe £12,000,000          
Ryan Woods £6,500,000 Ryan Sweeney Free      
Danny Batth Free          
Sam Vokes £9,000,000          
          PTS POS
Season Total £54,850,000   £24,730,000 £30,120,000

Season 2017/18 they spent Net total of £15,250,000 

Season 2016/17 they spent Net total of £29,750,000

I assume the last two seasons when they were in the PL do not count towards the FFP in the Championship.

That proves a point .All that cash spent and look at the league table.