Fisherman's Rest, Attercliffe

Hello! 

I'm looking for info on this pub and I wondered if anyone remembers it? I think it closed around 1980 but I could be wrong and it was a John Smiths house. Any help appreciated! 

Wow, there's almost nothing online.

I've looked at my Pub book, but no info other than the address (and says closed 70s/80s)

Possibly found it on an old map though.

Could it be this? link

and possibly (using 93 tinsley park road, one of these buildings here

3 hours ago, theimposter said:

Hello! 

I'm looking for info on this pub and I wondered if anyone remembers it? I think it closed around 1980 but I could be wrong and it was a John Smiths house. Any help appreciated! 

Yes the Fisherman's Rest was a John Smith's pub,(well in the 1950's, 60's,70,s). It's 'rival 'diagonally across the street was the Friendship (corner March Street) lasted a little longer and that was a Stones' house in it's hey-day.

Edited by St Petre
Add

aha, found it as a picture

I typed in tinsley park road in picture sheffield and went through all 111 offers, so no need to do the same :rofl:

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t10191&action=zoom&pos=94&id=131822&continueUrl=

2 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Wow, there's almost nothing online.

I've looked at my Pub book, but no info other than the address (and says closed 70s/80s)

Possibly found it on an old map though.

Could it be this? link

and possibly (using 93 tinsley park road, one of these buildings here

Yes the photo of the boardered up building is what was the Fisherman's. After it closed a.s a pub, I think it was offices for a haulage firm, perhaps Harry Hodges.

Just now, St Petre said:

Yes the photo of the boardered up building is what was the Fisherman's. After it closed a.s a pub, I think it was offices for a haulage firm, perhaps Harry Hodges.

yep, found another picture, see above

2 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Is it the building here, next to the N in tiNsley park road?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.3983&lon=-1.4174&layers=168&b=3

2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

yep, found another picture, see above

Is it the building here, next to the N in tiNsley park road?

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.3983&lon=-1.4174&layers=168&b=3

Yes  I think that's it, I seem to recall the building coming up to the pavement and not set back from it. Also, at the rear of the Fisherman's was a yard that backed on to the canal, I think they had a couple of accidents (kids falling in) in late 1950's.

Edited by St Petre
Add

George Critchlow was the publican 1841-1845,  then his wife Mary until 1856,  followed by Joseph Hoyland

2 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes the Fisherman's Rest was a John Smith's pub,(well in the 1950's, 60's,70,s). It's 'rival diagonally across the street was the Friendship (corner March Street) lasted a little longer and that was a Stones' house in it's hey-day.

Is the old Fisherman's Rest now the offices for Veolia and before them R. S, Bruce.

Angel1.

7 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Is the old Fisherman's Rest now the offices for Veolia and before them R. S, Bruce.

Angel1.

Yes, you're right, that's exactly where it was. Don't know where I got the 'Harry Hodges' idea from tho'.

Edited by St Petre
Add

1 minute ago, St Petre said:

Yes, you're right, that's exactly where it was.

I worked for R S Bruce March Street 1980 - 2006.  Remember the Friendship well, but the Fishermans Rest were Offices then If I remember correctly. It seems a long time ago.

Angel1.