Fisherman's Rest, Attercliffe

44 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Yes, that's what I thought. Perhaps CF8M made a mistake. They're certainly similarly shaped buildings, but definitely not the same.

Looking at the maps, I think the consensus is it was here, maybe this sticking out bit was part of the old building?

The Fisherman's was just to the left of the stick out wall bit, about where the new brick work is but didn't extend as far as the Veolia gate. If you rotate the picture and see the green grass area that's where the Friendship was and the Fisherman's was opposite where the end of the green patch is nearer to the camera (Greenland Road end). Got me thinking now as to what that old stick out brick work might have been.

6 minutes ago, St Petre said:

The Fisherman's was just to the left of the stick out wall bit, about where the new brick work is but didn't extend as far as the Veolia gate. If you rotate the picture and see the green grass area that's where the Friendship was and the Fisherman's was opposite where the end of the green patch is nearer to the camera (Greenland Road end). Got me thinking now as to what that old stick out brick work might have been.

yep, got ya.

also St Petre, if you try the instructions in the earlier post, you can see the friendship as it was still standing when google cars went past, in the early days.

(I didn't know it had been demolished)

6 minutes ago, St Petre said:

😀 Same

I like these threads. I love Sheffield History.

Edited by *_ash_*

11 minutes ago, St Petre said:

I thought the old maps might help, but in 1899 it is a blank space!
see here

The kerbs face inwards, so perhaps it was just an earlier Veolia (old SCC) entrance? And they widened and moved it with time, and machines got bigger?

Edited by *_ash_*

2 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

yep, got ya.

also St Petre, if you try the instructions in the earlier post, you can see the friendship as it was still standing when google cars went past, in the early days.

(I didn't know it had been demolished)

Funnily enough I didn't live in that area but had an aunt and uncle that lived at that end of March Street  so on visits (1958-63) I would walk past both pubs. Also it's a wonder that the answers haven't included members of SF who lived in that immediate area, a few who have replied to questions before.

1 minute ago, St Petre said:

Funnily enough I didn't live in that area but had an aunt and uncle that lived at that end of March Street  so on visits (1958-63) I would walk past both pubs. Also it's a wonder that the answers haven't included members of SF who lived in that immediate area, a few who have replied to questions before.

I think perhaps it's narrowed down a bit, because so much housing around there has been gone for years, so not many with knowledge. (and even those few have to see the thread too!)

I was always a camera geek in the 80s, and took a lot around Attercliffe, I hope to find some to redo now to compare. I've done films in Sheffield too, but oldest still aren't old yet! Still, I'm glad I did them, lots of the new ring road area I captured on crap early digital camera! 🤣

6 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I think perhaps it's narrowed down a bit, because so much housing around there has been gone for years, so not many with knowledge. (and even those few have to see the thread too!)

I was always a camera geek in the 80s, and took a lot around Attercliffe, I hope to find some to redo now to compare. I've done films in Sheffield too, but oldest still aren't old yet! Still, I'm glad I did them, lots of the new ring road area I captured on crap early digital camera! 🤣

As for old maps of Sheffield, Sheffield History as the best ones , they even have house numbers on them. The one for that area is map 178 and you can enlarge it to your requirements. On this map from the early 1950's, the Fisherman's is defined by name - the Friendship just has BH (Beer house). Sorry but I don't have the technical ability to replicate it on here.

10 minutes ago, St Petre said:

As for old maps of Sheffield, Sheffield History as the best ones , they even have house numbers on them. The one for that area is map 178 and you can enlarge it to your requirements. On this map from the early 1950's, the Fisherman's is defined by name - the Friendship just has BH (Beer house). Sorry but I don't have the technical ability to replicate it on here.

Yes I have Sheff History in my bookmarks, but not seen this.

Well one thing from this thread... I know now that the Picture Sheffield is a live site, as I emailed them to say that this thread (and linked it) had identified a picture that said 'unidentified public house, Tinsley Park Road', and it's already updated!, and they emailed me back to thank me /us.

It's a great site, but wish we could fund some better search  facilities. Like most sites, unless, expensive, the search facilities are quite poor. I'd use it more, if I could find what I'm looking for.

Edited by *_ash_*

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:56, CF8M said:

I used to call in this Pub a lot, usually on the way home from work in the mid sixties.

As I recall they had a really good selection on the Juke box, some of which I can recall.

Jeff Beck Hi-Ho Silver lining, the Everly Brothers Bowling Green.

I used to finish the morning shift  at Edgar Allens at two and on the Motor bike to get a few pints in before three.

Used to sit in the concert room at the rear where the Juke Box was. 

I think the reason for calling in was there had been an accident at the bridge on Broughton Lane and a diversion was in place along Tinsley Park Road to Coleridge Road passing the Fishermans!

So give it a try!

The building was still there two years ago I went past for a look.

With respect CF8M, have you got both pubs right as they were very close to each other ? The Friendship was on the left side  (corner March St,)going from Broughton Lane to Coleridge Road and the Fisherman's on the right with it's backyard on the canal bank.

On 27/02/2019 at 17:55, *_ash_* said:

Wow, there's almost nothing online.

I've looked at my Pub book, but no info other than the address (and says closed 70s/80s)

Possibly found it on an old map though.

Could it be this? link

and possibly (using 93 tinsley park road, one of these buildings here

Cheers Ash- I think you're right with the first picture. 

This has got me intrigued so I got the Sherlock Holmes kit out.

The original Fishermans building, although very similar to the Veolia offices has a lot of structural differences.

But I would suggest that when the old building was demolished and the bricks may have been recycled and used in the later one.

There seems to be an inconsistency in the colours

The modern building has concrete slabs over the windows and around the door and the original had fan shaped "key" work above the windows as well.

The widows themselves are different on the ground level.

Around the door itself there was a brick type extension on the original  extending to the window above  protruding out by about the length

of a brick framing the whole  front. This is not on the modern structure.

Edited by CF8M
grammar

49 minutes ago, CF8M said:

The original Fishermans building, although very similar to the Veolia offices has a lot of structural differences.

But I would suggest that when the old building was demolished and the bricks may have been recycled and used in the later one.

The modern building has concrete slabs over the windows and around the door and the original had fan shaped "key" work above the windows as well.

Around the door itself there was a brick type extension on the original  extending to the window above  protruding out by about the length

I thought the same, but with different building! :)

I think it's entirely plausible that old bricks used and 'bricked up' as it were...

If you look at the picture of where is actually was (according to maps and members), I think the brick reconfiguration occurred at the building itself, hence the sticking out bit.

(here)

(I could of course be talking nonsense!)

but this section here in the link I think shows old brickwork, and possibly same size as the old building, and they possibly just rebuilt and knocked down bits, and this is what is left.

56 minutes ago, CF8M said:

yes, I also noticed this.

If you look at this image here, then I think this DOES resemble an 'old pub' front entrance. Might have been recycled?

I can't believe this member posted, I had a quick google then a week later we still discussing! lol

Very interesting though :)

Hello all, this is a bit tangential but my Nana was from Attercliffe and if she'd been alive she would have been 100 this Friday.  My Mum, my Uncle and I are planning a visit to Sheffield to try to get an idea of her old stomping ground. To cut a very long story short, I think she was the grand daughter of Joseph Hoyland who was landlord of the Fisherman's Rest and I found this thread when looking for the pub.  As you all seem to know the area in incredible detail, I was wondering if you might recommend any places we should go to in the area, and as it very sadly seems that the Fisherman's Rest is long gone, any recommendations of alternative pubs for a family toast? I appreciate this is a bit off topic, so apologies and please ignore this message if its a nuisance. Laura