Fisherman's Rest, Attercliffe

12 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I worked for R S Bruce March Street 1980 - 2006.  Remember the Friendship well, but the Fishermans Rest were Offices then If I remember correctly. It seems a long time ago.

Angel1.

I wonder if that old building there is part of the old one?

I did some deliveries there, and had to go into reception, and recall that the building seemed very old, considering the rest of the Veolia site looks quite modern.

I used to call in this Pub a lot, usually on the way home from work in the mid sixties.

As I recall they had a really good selection on the Juke box, some of which I can recall.

Jeff Beck Hi-Ho Silver lining, the Everly Brothers Bowling Green.

I used to finish the morning shift  at Edgar Allens at two and on the Motor bike to get a few pints in before three.

Used to sit in the concert room at the rear where the Juke Box was. 

I think the reason for calling in was there had been an accident at the bridge on Broughton Lane and a diversion was in place along Tinsley Park Road to Coleridge Road passing the Fishermans!

So give it a try!

The building was still there two years ago I went past for a look.

20 hours ago, CF8M said:

I used to call in this Pub a lot, usually on the way home from work in the mid sixties.

As I recall they had a really good selection on the Juke box, some of which I can recall.

Jeff Beck Hi-Ho Silver lining, the Everly Brothers Bowling Green.

I used to finish the morning shift  at Edgar Allens at two and on the Motor bike to get a few pints in before three.

Used to sit in the concert room at the rear where the Juke Box was. 

I think the reason for calling in was there had been an accident at the bridge on Broughton Lane and a diversion was in place along Tinsley Park Road to Coleridge Road passing the Fishermans!

So give it a try!

The building was still there two years ago I went past for a look.

I've just relooked at the google maps link above, to see it had any older footage, and they have it from 2008, and it looks no different to now ,

were we looking in the wrong place?

see here, are you thinking of the friendship?

How do you get Google street view in retro ? That one's from 2008.

20 minutes ago, St Petre said:

How do you get Google street view in retro ? That one's from 2008.

St Petre,  I can't do a screen shot here (I thought you could on new software)

So I'll have to explain it

I'll type it as I do it, so don't think it's an idiot's guide please!

1. Open google maps as usual

2. Get into the street view you want to look at (using that yellow person thing) - I assume you know how to get to this stage without further instructions)

3. Look at your street picture, then look in to top left of the street

There should be a box showing the address that you are looking at, e.g. 93 Tinsley Park Road

and under that it says 'Street View - Feb 2018' (or whatever date was last shot)

there is a little 'clock' to the left of this wording.  It's a drop-down menu :)

4. Click on the drop down menu

5. It will show a timescale bar with white dots on it. (these are the dates that the car camera went along the road)

6. Click on a white dot

7. click in the middle of the map that the white dot brings up, this puts you into that map-set.

8 google maps retro. :)

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

St Petre,  I can't do a screen shot here (I thought you could on new software)

So I'll have to explain it

I'll type it as I do it, so don't think it's an idiot's guide please!

1. Open google maps as usual

2. Get into the street view you want to look at (using that yellow person thing) - I assume you know how to get to this stage without further instructions)

3. Look at your street picture, then look in to top left of the street

There should be a box showing the address that you are looking at, e.g. 93 Tinsley Park Road

and under that it says 'Street View - Feb 2018' (or whatever date was last shot)

there is a little 'clock' to the left of this wording.  It's a drop-down menu :)

4. Click on the drop down menu

5. It will show a timescale bar with white dots on it. (these are the dates that the car camera went along the road)

6. Click on a white dot

7. click in the middle of the map that the white dot brings up, this puts you into that map-set.

8 google maps retro. :)

Thanks, have to try that, oh and when it comes to computer instructions and idiots, then I'm your man.

I just had a look on Google maps street view, and The Fishermans was still there in July 2015 and as I said two years ago.

Its now the offices for Veolia  recycling.

On the picture from 2015  diagonally across the road is a site, demolished at the time, I think was the Friendship.

That Veolia outfit must be pretty big, they are all over Melbourne!

6 hours ago, CF8M said:

I just had a look on Google maps street view, and The Fishermans was still there in July 2015 and as I said two years ago.

Its now the offices for Veolia  recycling.

On the picture from 2015  diagonally across the road is a site, demolished at the time, I think was the Friendship.

That Veolia outfit must be pretty big, they are all over Melbourne!

Do you mean this one?

That's the one.

It seem odd that most of the buildings on that part of the road from the sixties have gone, but not that one!

5 hours ago, CF8M said:

That's the one.

It seem odd that most of the buildings on that part of the road from the sixties have gone, but not that one!

It looks very different,

look at them side by side:

old

new

25 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

-same side of streetIt looks very different,

look at them side by side:

old

new

Perhaps I mis-interpret but the pictures are of two different buildings on Tinsley Park Road. The bottom one (new) is the offices for Veolia and was premises for a chemical company that used to occupy that site, the top (old) is the now demolished Fisherman's Rest and was about 75 yards away (same side of street) going towards Broughton Lane from the still standing Veolia office.

Edited by St Petre
Add

56 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Perhaps I mis-interpret but the pictures are of two different buildings on Tinsley Park Road. The bottom one (new) is the offices for Veolia and was premises for a chemical company that used to occupy that site, the top (old) is the now demolished Fisherman's Rest and was about 75 yards away (same side of street) going towards Broughton Lane from the still standing Veolia office.

Yes, that's what I thought. Perhaps CF8M made a mistake. They're certainly similarly shaped buildings, but definitely not the same.

6 hours ago, CF8M said:

That's the one.

Looking at the maps, I think the consensus is it was here, maybe this sticking out bit was part of the old building?