Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Sheffield City Council to raise parking charges by up to 30%.

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, forgeman said:

Sure you can stay as long as you like but the longer you stay in some car parks the more you pay.  If I were to buy say a bag of cement it would be one price but if I buy more than one it becomes cheaper per bag. Parking in general is just a cash cow.

The problem with making city centre parking free is that people who work in the city centre would fill up the parking spaces very quickly, more people would drive in to town rather than use public transport etc.

 

I work in the city centre and drive in each day and pay a lot of money for a private parking space (still marginally cheaper than on-street parking) - if there was free or much cheaper on street parking I, and many others, would be parking up in those spaces instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Usually the residents are the ones calling for a permit scheme. As long as the council doesn't profit from the scheme it seems fair enough. 

What wouldn't be fair is if all council taxpayers subsidised the scheme.  If you buy a house without a parking space don't expect to be granted one for free, and dont think you have a right  over and above anyone else to park outside your house. Your house was cheaper because it didn't have parking.

Did I mention at all that my house was cheap or that I had to park on the road? Quite the opposite in fact and I do park on my drive but there are residents who do not have that luxury and still have to pay for permits. My neighbors park on the  road outside my house as they have more than one car or choose not to use their drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bkcin said:

The problem with making city centre parking free is that people who work in the city centre would fill up the parking spaces very quickly, more people would drive in to town rather than use public transport etc.

 

I work in the city centre and drive in each day and pay a lot of money for a private parking space (still marginally cheaper than on-street parking) - if there was free or much cheaper on street parking I, and many others, would be parking up in those spaces instead.

Easily solved by making it free for a limited time.  2 hrs for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Easily solved by making it free for a limited time.  2 hrs for example.

True, however I think having a short time limit puts a lot of people off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bkcin said:

True, however I think having a short time limit puts a lot of people off.

I disagree, a free 15min period would greatly help retail establishments and I would imagine the majority park for much more than two hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, forgeman said:

Sure you can stay as long as you like but the longer you stay in some car parks the more you pay.  If I were to buy say a bag of cement it would be one price but if I buy more than one it becomes cheaper per bag. Parking in general is just a cash cow. I'm lucky in so much I don't have to pay to park outside my own home as some residents do. Now if that's not taking the  Michael I don't know what is. 

Most of the car parks are cheaper for long stay, for example 50p per hour, maximum £2 for the full day. It’s only on-street that only has an hourly rate. That is all meant to encourage long stay parkers to use car parks, leaving the on-street for shorter stay visitors, whilst still giving drivers the flexibility to park where they like for as long as they like.

 

The income the council currently derive from permits alone was circa half a million pounds when I last looked. A calculation was done of the amount of parking services costs which were expended in administering and enforcing permit zones and it added up to circa £1.2 million, so the permit income nowhere near covers the costs involved. It’s onlt when you include the income from penalties and pay and display that the books are balanced.

 

The residents and businesses who have permits get a genuine advantage, so it’s right that they contribute to the costs.

 

9 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I disagree, a free 15min period would greatly help retail establishments and I would imagine the majority park for much more than two hours.

Drivers already get a free 20 minute period of parking in all pay and display parking outside the city centre.

 

Actually the average stay in the city centre was less than 2 hours last time I checked.

Edited by Planner1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bkcin said:

True, however I think having a short time limit puts a lot of people off.

So make it 4 hrs.  No use to commuters, but longer than anyone would ever shop for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bkcin said:

The problem with making city centre parking free is that people who work in the city centre would fill up the parking spaces very quickly, more people would drive in to town rather than use public transport etc.

 

That’s correct. And, if you made it a 4 hour limit as suggested by Cyclone, the commuters would just come out at lunchtime and swap spaces. They already do this in some areas to get around time limited waiting restrictions.

 

Thete’s also the huge cost of properly enforcing time limits. It is very labour intensive. They must be checked and enforced by the same CEO. Also you lose the pay and display income which offsets the costs of enforcement, so it all becomes a drain on resources. 

 

No no major city offers free parking in the city centre. These are the reasons why.

Edited by Planner1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Most of the car parks are cheaper for long stay, for example 50p per hour, maximum £2 for the full day. It’s only on-street that only has an hourly rate. That is all meant to encourage long stay parkers to use car parks, leaving the on-street for shorter stay visitors, whilst still giving drivers the flexibility to park where they like for as long as they like.

 

The income the council currently derive from permits alone was circa half a million pounds when I last looked. A calculation was done of the amount of parking services costs which were expended in administering and enforcing permit zones and it added up to circa £1.2 million, so the permit income nowhere near covers the costs involved. It’s onlt when you include the income from penalties and pay and display that the books are balanced.

 

The residents and businesses who have permits get a genuine advantage, so it’s right that they contribute to the costs.

 

Drivers already get a free 20 minute period of parking in all pay and display parking outside the city centre.

 

Actually the average stay in the city centre was less than 2 hours last time I checked.

I would disagree about the 20mins free "in all" pay and displays outside the centre I know of a few around Sharrowvale but not come across many others, outside the centre is also key, its inside that needs it. My other comment was a typo I meant to say much less than two hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

That’s correct. And, if you made it a 4 hour limit as suggested by Cyclone, the commuters would just come out at lunchtime and swap spaces. They already do this in some areas to get around time limited waiting restrictions.

 

Thete’s also the huge cost of properly enforcing time limits. It is very labour intensive. They must be checked and enforced by the same CEO. Also you lose the pay and display income which offsets the costs of enforcement, so it all becomes a drain on resources. 

 

No no major city offers free parking in the city centre. These are the reasons why.

I can confirm the 4-hour swap over from attending meetings at SHU, Collegiate Crescent.

 

There was the point when the meetings used to get held up when some attendees had to go out to move their cars around.  Bit farcical 

 

It's a long time back but I recall that the original restrictions were to be 2 hours but SHU objected and it was raised to 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, forgeman said:

Did I mention at all that my house was cheap or that I had to park on the road? Quite the opposite in fact and I do park on my drive but there are residents who do not have that luxury and still have to pay for permits. My neighbors park on the  road outside my house as they have more than one car or choose not to use their drive.

Sorry didnt mean you you. Should have used 'one'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, forgeman said:

Did I mention at all that my house was cheap or that I had to park on the road? Quite the opposite in fact and I do park on my drive but there are residents who do not have that luxury and still have to pay for permits. My neighbors park on the  road outside my house as they have more than one car or choose not to use their drive.

I personally think everyone who has a drive should be forced to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.