Sheffield City Council to raise parking charges by up to 30%.

I will not go into Sheffield City centre purely due to the high cost of parking. There may be  less expensive parking charges in the evening but not in the day time. Why try to justify the increase and compare them to other cities.  I'd rather go to Meadowhell as it is free parking and easier to get there.

All this moaning over a few quid. Get a grip.

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

But still well below the charges of other nearby cities like Leeds and Manchester 

The cities you mention have far more to offer than Sheffield currently has, ridiculous comparison.

5 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Way above inflation then! And most people havent had a pay rise since 2013.

They'll be telling us Council Tax is rising again soon...🙉

It's the council's fault for people not getting pay rises?

We got 3.1% this year and 3.3% last year.  Thanks to EU legislation, I got another 4% for taking holidays and inline for another 3.6% as my annual bonus.

Blame your employer.

20 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

The cities you mention have far more to offer than Sheffield currently has, ridiculous comparison.

And they charge commensurately more for their parking. Even Barnsley Council charge more than Sheffield in their central car park.

1 hour ago, daveb1950 said:

I know they moved the market and now virtually closed it due to the minimal people visiting the Moor, due to no real parking and too many empty shops (Stupidly high rates). 

It's blindingly obvious you've never been there.

There's a huge multi storey car park right next to the market which offers deals to market shoppers. There are also three other multi storey car parks serving the Moor area, not to mention the large surface level car parks nearby.

There's actually an over-supply of parking in Sheffield. That's one of the reasons it's relatively cheap compared to other major cities.

Meadowhall, you park outside, and walk in. Often quite some distance. Anything you buy you have to carry back out.

Suggest that people could do something similar when visiting the city centre, and they lose their minds.

1 hour ago, forgeman said:

I will not go into Sheffield City centre purely due to the high cost of parking. There may be  less expensive parking charges in the evening but not in the day time. 

You really do need to get out more if you think Sheffield's parking charges are high.

Currently, Council off street parking in Sheffield centre cost no more than £1 per hour, maximum £5 per day. In some of the outer areas of the city centre you can park for 50p per hour or £2 per day. Find another major city where you can park that cheaply in the city centre.

Also, there are no time limits on most of the parking in Sheffield centre. You stay as long as you like. I've not seen any other major cities which  offer that facility. They all have time limits.

Edited by Planner1

16 hours ago, Planner1 said:

But still well below the charges of other nearby cities like Leeds and Manchester 

Should hope so! You wouldnt pay Disney Land prices to get into Flamingo Land..

Their city centres are in the top 10 (retail centres). I think we are around 30.

12 hours ago, Planner1 said:

You really do need to get out more if you think Sheffield's parking charges are high.

Currently, Council off street parking in Sheffield centre cost no more than £1 per hour, maximum £5 per day. In some of the outer areas of the city centre you can park for 50p per hour or £2 per day. Find another major city where you can park that cheaply in the city centre.

Also, there are no time limits on most of the parking in Sheffield centre. You stay as long as you like. I've not seen any other major cities which  offer that facility. They all have time limits.

Probably because there is very little offer in Sheffield city centre, compared to the likes of Manchester or Leeds. Says a lot when even Doncaster has a much better offering and a shopping centre right in the middle of the town centre...

12 hours ago, ez8004 said:

It's the council's fault for people not getting pay rises?

We got 3.1% this year and 3.3% last year.  Thanks to EU legislation, I got another 4% for taking holidays and inline for another 3.6% as my annual bonus.

Blame your employer.

Of course its not the councils fault I wasn't suggesting it was.

Nor did I say nobody has had a pay rise (congratulations on yours! Wooohooo!)

17 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Sure you can stay as long as you like but the longer you stay in some car parks the more you pay.  If I were to buy say a bag of cement it would be one price but if I buy more than one it becomes cheaper per bag. Parking in general is just a cash cow. I'm lucky in so much I don't have to pay to park outside my own home as some residents do. Now if that's not taking the  Michael I don't know what is. 

6 minutes ago, forgeman said:

Sure you can stay as long as you like but the longer you stay in some car parks the more you pay.  If I were to buy say a bag of cement it would be one price but if I buy more than one it becomes cheaper per bag. Parking in general is just a cash cow. I'm lucky in so much I don't have to pay to park outside my own home as some residents do. Now if that's not taking the  Michael I don't know what is. 

Usually the residents are the ones calling for a permit scheme. As long as the council doesn't profit from the scheme it seems fair enough. 

What wouldn't be fair is if all council taxpayers subsidised the scheme.  If you buy a house without a parking space don't expect to be granted one for free, and dont think you have a right  over and above anyone else to park outside your house. Your house was cheaper because it didn't have parking.