Sheffield City Council to raise parking charges by up to 30%.

3 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I would disagree about the 20mins free "in all" pay and displays outside the centre I know of a few around Sharrowvale but not come across many others, outside the centre is also key, its inside that needs it. My other comment was a typo I meant to say much less than two hours.

You might disagree but you are incorrect. The free 20 mins applies to all pay and display parking outside the city centre. 

I don't agree that the city centre needs any period of free parking. People don't tend to drive to the city centre to pop into one shop or business for 10 minutes or so. The free 20 mins was introduced when permit zones were put in, so as not to discourage passing trade. Through traffic is discouraged from using the city centre by traffic management measures, so giving away free parking to encourage passing trade doesn't fit with the general thrust of policy.

The general consensus and the thrust of policy at local, regional and national levels is that we need to reduce the amount of driving that people do, not encourage it. 

6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So make it 4 hrs.  No use to commuters, but longer than anyone would ever shop for.

I'd nip out on my lunch and move it if the limit was 4 hours.

On 27/02/2019 at 18:18, Planner1 said:

But still well below the charges of other nearby cities like Leeds and Manchester 

So that makes it ok then then because SCC rip off motorists a bit less than manchester and Leeds councils ? 

I used to go in to town quite often but parking is a nightmare now days,  I don’t like Meadowhall but would rather go there or Parkgate/ Cortonwood than drive round looking for a space or pay the charges in Sheffield Centre. 

17 minutes ago, Ducky1 said:

I used to go in to town quite often but parking is a nightmare now days,  I don’t like Meadowhall but would rather go there or Parkgate/ Cortonwood than drive round looking for a space or pay the charges in Sheffield Centre. 

I'm curious to know where did you park before when used to go regular? What has changed so dramatically over the years that now makes you stop?

Hybrid car, so now mines free. 

its just a way of prividing more income from parking without increasing the amount of available parking

they should make every new build in sheffield center include sufficient provision of parking spaces for all of its, residents, staff and customers

what are are wondeful council going to spend this extra income on i wonder... i bet its not public toilets, roofing for and seating on pedestrian precincts or adequate bus shelters.

perhaps they will spend it on reducing further the movement of traffic in and near the city center so that even more potential shoppers will use local retail parks.

more so called 'ambassadors' to potentially torment and sometimes even bully the homeless

1 hour ago, fill said:

its just a way of prividing more income from parking without increasing the amount of available parking

they should make every new build in sheffield center include sufficient provision of parking spaces for all of its, residents, staff and customers

what are are wondeful council going to spend this extra income on i wonder... i bet its not public toilets, roofing for and seating on pedestrian precincts or adequate bus shelters.

perhaps they will spend it on reducing further the movement of traffic in and near the city center so that even more potential shoppers will use local retail parks.

more so called 'ambassadors' to potentially torment and sometimes even bully the homeless

There’s no need to increase the available parking, there’s already a sufficient amount to satisfy demand.

There are stringent legal restrictions on what the council can do with surplus parking income. It currently all goes on highway maintenance, to part fund the Amey contract.

Well, more accurately, it's the 4th of March right now, so £100 a year, right now.

But I didn't know it was changing, so that's welcome information.