Sheffield City Council to raise parking charges by up to 30%.

Motorists are being hit with higher parking charges by the council, they are raising parking charges by up to 30%. Is this just going to drive more people out of the city and to Meadowhall?  New prices will be in force from April 1st and will be 30 percent higher than before, meaning a standard first residential permit will now cost £46.80. 

Parking will increase from £1 for the first half hour to £1.30 from Monday to Saturday from 8am to 8.30pm, or £2 for up to four hours or on Sundays (up from £1 per day) in central zone one. 

Parking in central zone two will increase from £1 per hour to £1.30 per hour from 8am to 8.30pm Mondays to Saturdays; £2 from 4,30pm to 8.30pm and £2 for Sunday parking. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/parking-charges-increase-in-sheffield-1-9617118?utm_campaign=Sheffield Star - Daily RSS&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=70262651&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--22rRAPtkiheNP7JGRGmJAlLfHMmWBQMlRdt7nsabJtvITvN2Lhdt88ZhULYHgakP2x7TMPBHrZYNA9lolri5tHISNZg&_hsmi=70262651

Edited by iansheff

Will anyone really think, 30p, well that's tipped it for me, I'm off to Meadowhall instead.

Although how £2 for 4 hrs from £1 all day can be called "up to 30%" I don't know.  It sounds more like 400%, assuming "all day" means 8 hrs.

Edited by Cyclone

And people whinge over bus fares, most of which are less than £2 single into the city from outer terminus or £4.20 for a daysaver/£14.50 for a weeksaver.  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Michael_N

These are the first city centre price increases since April 2013.

48 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Way above inflation then! And most people havent had a pay rise since 2013.

They'll be telling us Council Tax is rising again soon...🙉

I recently had the pleasure of city centre parking in Bradford to get to the theatre - £1  all night after 6pm.

The day time prices were pretty much on par with Sheffield but the traffic was a damn sight worse.

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Way above inflation then! And most people havent had a pay rise since 2013.

But still well below the charges of other nearby cities like Leeds and Manchester 

When going to Sheffield  theatres or football £9 for up to four hours!, no wonder people are put off. Why cant they have a system so that you get a discount parking ticket when visiting a theatte or going to a concert, 

1 hour ago, willman said:

I recently had the pleasure of city centre parking in Bradford to get to the theatre - £1  all night after 6pm.

You can currently park n Sheffield city centre for  £1 for the whole evening after 4.30.

I'm sure you can - but i can never find them where i want to be(but thats my choice), i go to the same street when i use the theatres here. I never pay a lot i don't think in Sheffield anyway - unless its the NCP.

I found before in some places that anything close to an "evening venue" always has parking up to 8.

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Thats no excuse for fleecing motorists . You would think the council would offer free parking to attract more people into the city centre instead of using motorists as a ash cow. 

I lived in Handsworth since 1981 and shop in Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks, Rotherham or Barnsley city centres when required. The parking costs have always been extortionate in Sheffield I haven't been in the town centre since 1999. I know they moved the market and now virtually closed it due to the minimal people visiting the Moor, due to no real parking and too many empty shops (Stupidly high rates). Sheffield Councils Chief executive are morons with their snouts firmly in the money. Highways & Planning Offices are run by Cowboys who's only required qualifications are: a dislike of cars, tourists and shoppers. love push bikes, potholes and traffic cones and have no idea on traffic management.