Bus protest

Well done to Chris Rust. I'm not a fan of his tree campaign, but this is a much more important issue. I recorded the filth and smoke and registration of a bus going up Blackstock Road. A 2002 model and was totally choking behind it. (I wasn't driving). If that was a car it would fail its MoT. I have had a brain tumour removed recently so feel aggrieved at breathing in this pollution. I don't drink or smoke but do wonder if pollution was the cause. (no proof). I posted the recording onTwitter to the council and Clean Air Group but no response. 

Buses do have MOT tests, stricter than those for cars.  But perhaps the ministry need to do spot checks to keep the bus companies honest.

51 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Buses do have MOT tests, stricter than those for cars.  But perhaps the ministry need to do spot checks to keep the bus companies honest.

I'm guessing you missed the bit where it says vehicles are tested every 28 days and results submitted to DVSA. 

Without a shadow of a doubt there will be spot checks on the testing facility. 

Where was that, in the article?  I didn't read it.

So that begs the question, how does a vehicle reach the state of belching black smoke in the space of <28 days?

5 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Where was that, in the article?  I didn't read it.

So that begs the question, how does a vehicle reach the state of belching black smoke in the space of <28 days?

EGR/DPF/injector failures can cause black smoke. Given the mileage can cover in that time it's possible. 

he said was belching out illegally high levels of pollutants into the air

Did he have some calibrated testing equipment with him to prove this?

Attention seeking...isn't that the that was the whole point of a protest? 

As we already know on another thread Monday and Tuesday had very high pollution levels across the city. The bus protest made look north on Monday night, was streamed across social media, the local press and this forum 

First have made a statement about there commitment to cleaner buses and now know that the public will be holding them to that. 

So Id say Mr Rust has made his point successfully. 

Do you think First would have responded in the press if he simply used the form below?

https://www.gov.uk/report-smoky-vehicle

32 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Did he have some calibrated testing equipment with him to prove this?

I think the masses of black smoke belching out from the back of the bus was a giveaway.  :huh: