New World Of Football Centre Proposed

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/smithy-column-steve-bruce-is-starting-to-give-sheffield-wednesday-fans-what-they-want-1-9614385

two thirds of the way down the page.

"It’s coming home…Sheffield FC is about to make history again with a proposed move to a multi-million pound new ground at Meadowhead. The club that invented football in 1857 is set to relocate 1.8 miles from its current Dronfield home to Sheffield Transport Sports Club - just inside the city boundary. Negotiations are said to be underway between the clubs and Sheffield City Region and have the backing of Sheffield  Council. It is proposed that cricket will continue to be played on the new ground -  in keeping with FC’s origins as a spin-off of Sheffield Cricket club. Previous plans to move back to the club’s original home at Olive Grove - beset by politics and a perceived lack of outside support – are now believed to be OFF the agenda. Relocation of the 162-year-old club is said to have become top priority following new investment from Anglo-Italian consortium LSG Sports. Chairman Richard Tims could not confirm the rumours but said: “Our new investment brings fresh impetus and the support to deliver Sheffield FC back home to the city and further recognise the Sheffield FC brand as an asset for the city around the world. 

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/smithy-column-steve-bruce-is-starting-to-give-sheffield-wednesday-fans-what-they-want-1-9614385 "

(It took me 0.39 of a second for it to be found.)

Edited by willman

its a great idea for the area and we all need to back it,it will increase footfall ,it will bring people to our area from alround the world to see the history section,they look or will be promoted up a league with a bit of luck sooner,rather than later,its ideal for training and matchs for there other teams,the cricket stays,we may or may not lose our annual firework display,but i think they will help us as its very popular,there will be parking,the council like it so whats the problem.

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

its a great idea for the area and we all need to back it,it will increase footfall ,it will bring people to our area from alround the world to see the history section,they look or will be promoted up a league with a bit of luck sooner,rather than later,its ideal for training and matchs for there other teams,the cricket stays,we may or may not lose our annual firework display,but i think they will help us as its very popular,there will be parking,the council like it so whats the problem.

Bassett one, you talk as if you have been involved in the discussions?

Pretty sure it's the bonfire that may be affected not the fire works.

I am pleased to hear both cricket pitches are staying.

Will increase footfall for who exactly?

I was at HSBC the other night 3 hours of pitches being booked solid for football and I don't think 3 people bought a drink.

21 minutes ago, Slacker1969 said:

Bassett one, you talk as if you have been involved in the discussions?

Pretty sure it's the bonfire that may be affected not the fire works.

I am pleased to hear both cricket pitches are staying.

Will increase footfall for who exactly?

I was at HSBC the other night 3 hours of pitches being booked solid for football and I don't think 3 people bought a drink.

The attendees will be likely to seek food and drink before the game and maybe after. Well known that there is an economic impact local to clubs, even down to lower levels of the pyramid.

i think it will help the local economy and increase intrest in the area,of which our local tara has tennants in the area who hopefully will enjoy the new site,its a win win situation for everyone and the area as a whole in my opinion

OK. Within the past hour or so, a large banner "In partnership with Sheffield FC" has gone up at the ground near the roundabout.  😲

Spotted it taking my daughter to football practice.

Edited by jemson

Methinks Sheffield FC is doing a bit of lobbying to show there are already ties with the Transport ground.   I think Greenhill Juniors act as a feeder side  for Sheffield  FC youth teams . Some of the Greenhill junior teams play or did play  there. 

21 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

The attendees will be likely to seek food and drink before the game and maybe after. Well known that there is an economic impact local to clubs, even down to lower levels of the pyramid.

It's not like they are moving far and 'aren't they keeping their pub?'

As I say looking forward to the official announcement and the actual plans.

17 hours ago, misspedantic said:

Methinks Sheffield FC is doing a bit of lobbying to show there are already ties with the Transport ground.   I think Greenhill Juniors act as a feeder side  for Sheffield  FC youth teams . Some of the Greenhill junior teams play or did play  there. 

Very true. And some of the Sheffield FC junior sides have played there too,

32 minutes ago, Slacker1969 said:

It's not like they are moving far and 'aren't they keeping their pub?'

As I say looking forward to the official announcement and the actual plans.

Not sure about the Coach and Horses. Hope it`ll remain. It`s too far away for Meadowhead though so `we`ll ` need a different pub base!

I think it great that Sheffield FC  might return to Sheffield. The club has had a few homes over the years and hopefully will find a long term base.   Planning  has yet to be approved and I wonder if the club will own the whole or part of the sports field.  Will the club wish to include its own bar as  one of Sheffield FC's 4 directors also owns Thornbridge Brewery?                                                           

Plans are afoot to sell the existing Coach and Horses site for housing. I wonder if the move to Meadowhead proves to be not so successful or at a later date a more central site becomes available  might Sheffield FC want to move again and  sell and stick some more houses there of course subject to planning permission.   Just saying ; I realise this would never happen.  Just food for thought.  

confirmed source as i am the chair of the meadowhead gigantic firework display based at the transport ground,they are working in partnership to build a joint enterprise and the firework display stays there as does the cricket section,so for the thousands of folk who join us each nov thats great news and i presume everyone will be happy,i think its a great long term solution for all concerned thank you