Subbuteo as a kid?

Did you play Subbuteo as a kid?

Did your friends play with you in a league?

Do you know anyone else that did?

Do you still now?

Only the cricket version.

I've never seen one, but apparently there was a rugby version as well...

7 hours ago, desy said:

Did you play Subbuteo as a kid?

Did your friends play with you in a league?

Do you know anyone else that did?

Do you still now?

Aye, did that.....and in a local league too....on our street..led to a fair few tantrums, arguments and dummies out of prams.

In the 1970's it was either footy or steam trains and I went for the Subbuteo, Sheff weds in the blue shirt, white sleeves.

I bought a few other teams from Redgates or Suggs...and mostly because I liked the colours....so, West Ham, Palace home and away kit and Liverpool, probably.

All of them got either damaged or broken at some time....or sneakily sneaked off with, by my little brother.

Gave it up when I was 14, went for the Girls and the Groups instead of footy/subbuteo.

Good times though. Thanks for the Nostalgia/memory.

Thanks to OP.

8 hours ago, dropout said:

Aye, did that.....and in a local league too....on our street..led to a fair few tantrums, arguments and dummies out of prams.

In the 1970's it was either footy or steam trains and I went for the Subbuteo, Sheff weds in the blue shirt, white sleeves.

I bought a few other teams from Redgates or Suggs...and mostly because I liked the colours....so, West Ham, Palace home and away kit and Liverpool, probably.

All of them got either damaged or broken at some time....or sneakily sneaked off with, by my little brother.

Gave it up when I was 14, went for the Girls and the Groups instead of footy/subbuteo.

Good times though. Thanks for the Nostalgia/memory.

Thanks to OP.

did all that too.late sixties.About ten of us in a league,home and away fixtures,f.a cup.Was some massive arguments about cheating,i.e pushing the player instead of flicking.One of our mates had a snooker table in front room ,so no messing with the pitch there,just had to block of all the pockets.Great memories.got the old everton and man utd teams in my first boxed set with nets ,floodlights and other bits.

Still got mine in the loft, quite a few teams and some floodlights as well, also got the rugby one but never enjoyed that as much.  

I had the QPR style plastic pitch, proper hardcore!  Unfortunately it never sat straight when unrolled, always kept trying to roll itself back up and never stayed flush to the floor or table so was like playing on a hillside.

Used to play a league with a few friends in the 70's.  Remember laying the pitch on the living room carpet, ironing it then pinning it down tight to get the perfect playing surface! Usually bought teams from Redgates and Suggs and hand painted some of them when the team colours I wanted weren't available. Also had Test Match cricket and I've still got it in more or less perfect condition up in the loft. Last time I looked they were selling on eBay for up to 90 quid!

20 minutes ago, simonj said:

Used to play a league with a few friends in the 70's.  Remember laying the pitch on the living room carpet, ironing it then pinning it down tight to get the perfect playing surface! Usually bought teams from Redgates and Suggs and hand painted some of them when the team colours I wanted weren't available. Also had Test Match cricket and I've still got it in more or less perfect condition up in the loft. Last time I looked they were selling on eBay for up to 90 quid!

Heh, heh.....we did that with the carpet thing as well, but usually had a  few bumps in the pitch! Hand - painted?, Blimey, you were keen!

I had first of all the celluloid type and was introduced to it with my cousin Peter. Then use to have a pitch pinned to a board behind the living room set. About 6 of us played friendly matches. When I was at school in the early 60,s took it to school on the last day of term. I was told by our class teacher John Milner that the pub he went too had a league to which he was in. Introduced the game to my kids in the mid 70',s they played it a little.

Just seen a subbuteo set on Dickinsons real deal that went for £250, the dealer then sold it for £550.

Edited by iansheff

every game me and my brother played ended in a fight with us rolling all over the pitch and squashing the players

Loved subbuteo my mates and I had our own league in the late 60s early 70s.